An update on...me! ;)

The beginning... if you are new to the site or just looking for some information about the others, want to introduce yourself, discuss your denomination, etc, start here.

An update on...me! ;)

Postby MacGyver on Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:08 pm

Hi guys! It's really cool to come back in after being out for so long. Just a quick trip as I'm beat, but wanted to give an update and say "I'm not dead yet!" :) Life has really been insane here and it's really cut into my customizing and forum time. I've finally finished up kiddo's school year and just have to finish his final portfolio. I mentioned his testing and evaluation and he did very well. I was really happy to see that he's on target and above average in some things. We've had quite a lot going on with family and church, and really just trying to make ends meet...a song and dance I'm sure everyone's familiar with. ;) God's really been challenging me in some areas and has been so good to me. He's really given me a neat ministry of sorts in the forums I'm on, as I'm now in ongoing private conversation with a people from different forums, discussing faith, life, salvation and such. I've never shared more about my faith than I have in the last few months. It's amazing and I'm humbled that God's using me in spite of my unfaithfulness. So anyway... a peak at my life. I hope to be around more after this month. In less than 2 weeks, I'll be going with our youth group to Creation East, a huge Christian music festival that's pretty much in my back yard. We weren't going to be able to go (and I haven't gone since 1998) but just a coupla weeks ago our group was gifted with 10 free tickets. God is amazing. I'm looking forward to an awesome time and hope to come back rejuvenated in Christ. "See" you all soon!
MacGyver

Re: An update on...me! ;)

Postby camper on Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:41 am

Good to hear, and hopefully you'll be able to catch a break soon!

dan
camper

Postby MacLeaper on Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:19 am

Creation East is sure to ROCK! I'd love to go to one of those huge Christian rock festivals one of these days and see all those great bands. Skillet is definitely great- but don't forget to check out incredible bands like Switchfoot! Wow- I've seen these guys a couple of times in concert- I love their music and message! (I think I last saw them with Relient K- that was awesome!) And there's Hawk Nelson, Sanctus Real, Disciple, Family Force 5, Leeland, Pillar, Thousand Foot Krutch, even Phil Keaggy's there (wow- he's looking kinda old), Newsboys, Red, Stellar Kart, The Afters, Superchick, Run Kid Run, Eleventyseven, Dizmas, Children 18:3 and even more. That's what I love about these things- there's so many great bands there to see! WOW! Have a great time- and trust you and the youth group will come back recharged in your faith in Christ. :D
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me." - Jesus Christ (John 14:6)

"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver

YO JOE!!!
MacLeaper

Location: mentally off on Pluto sometimes, but physically on Earth (for now!) ;-)

Postby MacGyver on Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:40 am

Thanks for the well-wishes guys!

Creation was incredible!!! Aside from the cold and horrible case of poison ivy I've returned with, I had a great time and the messages were super. The overall themes of the songs and speakers seemed to be authenticity, brokenness, and dealing with hurt and pain. So very appropriate for what my church may be going through soon. My favorite speakers this year were Justin Lookadoo, Bob Lenz and Reggie Dabbs. Reggie spoke twice and at the end of the second message he gave an altar call specifically for people who were suicidal and self-injurers...all I could do was weep at the sheer volume of people that flooded and overflowed the prayer tent. As kids were responding, we got word from a friend who was monitoring weather that a terrible storm was coming our way with winds in excess of 40 MPH with gusts up to 60, and we were prepared to take cover, as it's an entirely outdoor event. It was still light enough that we could see the dark clouds over us and the wind was picking up. The first thing I said to her was that we couldn't have a storm right now because all those kids waiting to get into the prayer tent HAD to get in there to the counselors. Seriously...there were hundreds. So I started praying that the storm would pass us by. Over the next half hour we watched the clouds race by overhead, and more came and they split and went north and south of us...we didn't have a drop of rain and more than a strong breeze until the last concert of the night was over. Incredible! I'd love to see the weathermen explain that. That actually happened at Creation 98, too. It was amazing.

There were so many good bands! Skillet, of course, was amazing, and so were the Newsboys. Some of my favorites were Flyleaf, Leeland, Pillar, Kutless, David Crowder Band, Thousand Foot Crutch, and Jeremy Camp. Switchfoot was really good, but not a fave. Heard Disciple, Hawk Nelson, Paul Baloche, TobyMac, and some others. but I wasn't really into them as much. I was more impressed with Barlow Girl than I thought I would be. :) Chris Tomlin was there and was super, but I went back to camp after just 2 songs cuz I was pretty sick at that point, my poison ivy had double overnight and I was wiped out. Oh oh! And Amy Grant performed as a surprise special guest with Hawk Nelson as her back up band. It was good, but I'm not a huge fan of hers. I always enjoy Phil Keaggy and the tributes to Keith Green and Larry Norman were great. I didn't see many of the Fringe Stage acts, but we I could hear a few from our campsite when I was relaxing. Eleventy Seven sounded just as awful as the one other time I heard them live. I think I could really get into They Myriad, tho. ;)

Oh, and Shipwreck had a great time too. I'll post pics when I get them ready. :D
MacGyver

Postby Matthew on Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:50 pm

Sounds fun. I've seen Barlow Girl (who were great), Skillet (back in 97-98) who rocked, Jeremy Camp, and Toby Mac (not a fan of his music, but his shows are good).
Matthew
The Mayor

Postby MacGyver on Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:39 pm

Yeah, TobyMac's show was really good...just not into his music. The best part of it was when they did that old DCTalk song, Jesus Freak, which was one of my fave songs by them back in the day. This was my second Skillet show this year. They're my absolute favorite band, and I've seen them at least once a year since they started up. I think I've probably seen them 4 times just since Comatose was released. ;)
His mind is the ultimate weapon...

Knowing is half the battle!

It's all fun and games until someone loses an eternity.
MacGyver

Postby Matthew on Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:26 am

MacGyver wrote:Yeah, TobyMac's show was really good...just not into his music. The best part of it was when they did that old DCTalk song, Jesus Freak, which was one of my fave songs by them back in the day. This was my second Skillet show this year. They're my absolute favorite band, and I've seen them at least once a year since they started up. I think I've probably seen them 4 times just since Comatose was released. ;)

Totally agree. When he does Jesus Freak it is awesomeness.
Matthew
The Mayor

Postby MacLeaper on Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:31 pm

Hmm- I've seen TobyMac once before- I like most of his music alright. But then I listen to a pretty wide range of Christian music (though I will say that I pretty much despise country- but I put up with some of it if it's Southern Gospel music- I heard enough of it at church- and down here, it's just a very popular music style- but not one I grew up with and not one of my favorites. But as long as it's praising the Lord, it doesn't really matter.)
"For You" and "Gone" are probably my favorite TobyMac song- and "Get This Party Started". And it is great when he does the classic DC Talk songs- Jesus Freak will always be their signature song. I also love the earlier stuff from back when they did actual rap in the late '80s and early '90s. That's the kind of rap I really like. From "Heavenbound" and "He Loves Me" on the first album to "I Luv Rap Music" on the "Nu Thang" album to "Socially Acceptable" on the "Free At Last" album- and I totally love the "Supernatural" album. I've listened to the whole thing numerous times. So many good songs- "Since I Found You", "My Friend (So Long)", "Consume Me", "Supernatural", and of course "Red Letters"- and my email's namesake "Into Jesus" :D
And that's cool that you got to see Amy Grant- I've never seen her live, but I grew up listening to her songs. I still have the 1982 "Age to Age" album- one of my all time favorites- and it's pretty much the first album I remember ever listening to as a child. I still love it now.
I don't know if you get into Switchfoot's music as much, but the lyrics really floor me. I kinda think of them as the thinking man's band. They have so many great songs that really make you think- very poetic. And they just make some great points and definitely share of their faith in Christ in a way that's accessible to non-believers. I especially love the "New Way to Be Human" album and "Learning to Breathe"- and of course, "The Beautiful Letdown". But really- all their albums are incredible! One of my favorite songs is probably "24", along with "Life and Love and Why", "Only Hope", "Let That Be Enough", "Learning to Breathe", "Living is Simple", "Under the Floor", "Company Car", "Oh! Gravity", "Happy is a Yuppie Word", "Easier Than Love", "American Dream" and so many others.
I don't know about Eleventyseven's energy live- haven't seen them live- but I know they pack it in on the albums. I really enjoy the two they've released so far. (And it's also neat that they're essentially a local band for me. :) ) I've also seen Jeremy Camp and the Newsboys and they're great in concert, as they are on their albums. (Yes, including the pretty much forgotten "Love, Liberty, Disco" album from the Newsboys that I love! Probably because I still love disco- I just think it's one of the happiest brands of music ever created. But don't worry- like Joan Jett and the Blackhearts, it's still true- I love rock and roll! So put another dime in the jukebox, baby!)
That's cool they did a Keith Green and Larry Norman tribute! I LOVE their music! Wow- both so incredibly convicting. "Oh Lord, You're Beautiful" is classic- and "Asleep in the Light" is pretty much the best witnessing song I've ever heard. I love it. And Larry Norman has some classics- "UFO", "The Outlaw", "Why Don't You Look Into Jesus?", "I Am A Servant", "The Six O'Clock News", "Peace, Pollution and Revolution", "Right Here in America", "Hymn to the Last Generation", "If the Bombs Fall"- and still others- and of course, "Why Should The Devil Have All the Good Music?" and the hauntingly beautiful "I Wish We'd All Been Ready". Wow- those two guys and Rich Mullins are some of my favorite Christian singers- it's sad to think they're gone but I can't wait to meet them one day in another land! :-)

But some of my best concerts I've enjoyed here has definitely been Geoff Moore and the Distance, ApologetiX, Relient K and Switchfoot and Stryper and Petra! :-)
Glad you had a good time- keep rocking for Jesus! :D

Rocking for Jesus with an air guitar and bad vocals,
MacLeaper :P
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me." - Jesus Christ (John 14:6)

"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver

YO JOE!!!
MacLeaper

Location: mentally off on Pluto sometimes, but physically on Earth (for now!) ;-)

Return to Member Information