The "what's your denomination" thread...

The beginning... if you are new to the site or just looking for some information about the others, want to introduce yourself, discuss your denomination, etc, start here.

The "what's your denomination" thread...

Postby camper on Thu May 18, 2006 6:52 am

I think the answer to this question is scattered around all over the place, but I was thinking it would be nice to have one quick thread to see.

So I figure I'll start.

Non-Denominational Protestant.

Though I probably most resemble a mix between Baptist and Methodist, and I go to a Methodist church. Still, the denomination is always second to the fact that I am a Christian, and I place more value on the teachings of the Bible than the teachings of any particular denomination. Meaning, if the Methodist church I went to started teaching things contradictory to scripture than I would no longer attend there.

How about the rest of you?

dan
camper

Postby Skyfire on Thu May 18, 2006 7:42 am

Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (aka Mormon)
"Whatever I do, you don't!"

Bon Scott (July 9, 1946 - February 19, 1980) to the much younger Angus Young (both of AC/DC), as remembered by Young.
Skyfire

Postby Matthew on Thu May 18, 2006 7:42 am

I would say I'm Baptist (although I don't follow all the doctrine. heck, I don't even know the doctrine). Been in a Baptist church my whole life and feel comfortable there.
Matthew
The Mayor

Postby ColtsFan76 on Thu May 18, 2006 7:43 am

Didn't we start this thread somewhere? Ah well, nice to have it in all in one place.

Christian by the grace of God, Southern Baptist by choice. Like Dan, I have the same feelings about the church: if it changed its teachings to something un-Biblical, I'd be gone.
James 1:19-20 (NIV)
My dear brothers, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry, for man's anger does not bring about the righteous life that God desires.

<><
ColtsFan76
aka G.I. Bri

Postby the pyromaniac on Thu May 18, 2006 9:44 am

non-denominational, Charismatic.

The closest match in a denomination to what I believe would be some form of modern Pentecostal.
"A lot of Christians take a part of their life and try to make it their ministry. Plumb is my job, but every conscious second is my ministry."

Tiffany (Arbuckle) Lee
lead singer, Plumb
the pyromaniac

Postby RevSears on Thu May 18, 2006 2:49 pm

Currentlly baptist but i've spent a stint at a non demonatial church and the baptist church i'm serving as youth pastor at right now, really feels more like that than a baptist church. Like before me, the denomation comes 2nd.
RevSears

Postby andrwfields on Thu May 18, 2006 2:59 pm

I concur. To everyone. That talked about being a Christian first.

But all aside, I'm a Methodist. I really like their doctrine because it really streamlines with my own personal beliefs.
"...An Apology. If you met me between 1987 and 2005 and I told you, "I'll pray for you," that was a lie. Never happened. I probably didn't pray for you. And that's not cool." - Prodigal Jon from StuffChristiansLike.blogspot.com
andrwfields
Constable

Postby Darko on Thu May 18, 2006 3:16 pm

*customary comment about being Christian first....wait, do we need that? The thread is asking denomination, not religion. I think Christian is assumed...at any rate....*

Roman Catholic. Vatican City REPRESENT!
Darko

Postby the pyromaniac on Thu May 18, 2006 3:59 pm

Yeah, I think the key here is that we need to all remember that we are Christians first and all these other, man-made institutions a very distant second.
"A lot of Christians take a part of their life and try to make it their ministry. Plumb is my job, but every conscious second is my ministry."

Tiffany (Arbuckle) Lee
lead singer, Plumb
the pyromaniac

Postby ColtsFan76 on Thu May 18, 2006 5:11 pm

Those that say they are Baptist - any particular flavor? I know there are many different kinds out there - I think American, Independent, and many others. Same with those that list any other denomination (since I am not sure how many "branches" of Methodist, Pentecostal, etc. are out there).
James 1:19-20 (NIV)
My dear brothers, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry, for man's anger does not bring about the righteous life that God desires.

<><
ColtsFan76
aka G.I. Bri

Postby andrwfields on Thu May 18, 2006 6:16 pm

As far as I know for the Methodists, there are only United and Free Methodists. It was one big church until they were split by segregation. The United supported or were indifferent to the slave owners having slaves. The Free supported the... slaves being... free... (sorry, I just couldn't think of a way to say that without saying free twice)

Anyway, I'm a United Methodist. No, we aren't still in favor of slavery either. It's just the way the cards fall now. I'm pretty sure the United have more of a governed system though.

RevSears puts it best. My church is built from the top down, meaning that the conference had to give the okay to build the church and they supplied the pastor for us. I think the Free Methodists do it the other way around. But I could be wrong.
"...An Apology. If you met me between 1987 and 2005 and I told you, "I'll pray for you," that was a lie. Never happened. I probably didn't pray for you. And that's not cool." - Prodigal Jon from StuffChristiansLike.blogspot.com
andrwfields
Constable

Postby chad_ghost on Sat May 20, 2006 10:39 am

im Southern Baptist, though like matthew, im not sure of their doctrine.

we dunk under water for baptism. thats all i know :)
chad_ghost

Chad & Matthew's Custom GI Joe Figures
"We cannot live the Christian life, only strive to. Only one man did, and they named it after Him."
chad_ghost
Administrator

Postby PoetFlint on Wed Jun 14, 2006 10:56 am

I'm the same as Pyro:

The closest match in a denomination to what I believe would be some form of modern Pentecostal.

My old Pastor called us Penematic Charicostals. Lol, because well we are a mix of Charismatic and Pentecostal
PoetFlint

Postby chad_ghost on Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:03 am

PoetFlint wrote:Penematic Charicostals

thats fun to say :)
chad_ghost

Chad & Matthew's Custom GI Joe Figures
"We cannot live the Christian life, only strive to. Only one man did, and they named it after Him."
chad_ghost
Administrator

Postby the pyromaniac on Thu Jun 15, 2006 12:20 pm

PoetFlint wrote:I'm the same as Pyro:

My old Pastor called us Penematic Charicostals. Lol, because well we are a mix of Charismatic and Pentecostal

I don't know about the rest of y'all, but I like this guy....... :-D

Tiffany (Arbuckle) Lee
lead singer, Plumb
the pyromaniac

Next

Return to Member Information