The "what's your denomination" thread...

The beginning... if you are new to the site or just looking for some information about the others, want to introduce yourself, discuss your denomination, etc, start here.

Postby Johnny on Mon Oct 23, 2006 5:19 pm

Independant Fundamental Baptist.
"Mine eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the Lord;
He is trampling out the vintage where the grapes of wrath are stored;
He hath loosed the fateful lightning of His terrible swift sword;
His truth is marching on."
Johnny

Postby hardroc on Mon Oct 23, 2006 10:25 pm

the pyromaniac wrote:
PoetFlint wrote:I'm the same as Pyro:

non-denominational, Charismatic.

The closest match in a denomination to what I believe would be some form of modern Pentecostal.

My old Pastor called us Penematic Charicostals. Lol, because well we are a mix of Charismatic and Pentecostal

I don't know about the rest of y'all, but I like this guy....... :-D

Im an Apostolic Pentecostal, and when I talk too fast it is Pentastolic Apocostal.
Acts 2:38 "Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost. "
hardroc

Postby eldurand on Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:11 pm

I currently attend an inter-denominational Christian church, although I was baptized at a Southern Baptist church, and that is the organized denomination that most closely meshes with my personal beliefs. My church is pretty conservative, with members running the gamut from hand-wavers to hands -in-pockets when it comes to worship. I was leery at first, but we started going because they have an AWESOME children's ministry (and I have two young children), and I was ready to bolt as soon as they preached something that was not in the Bible. But it is a Bible-believing, Bible-preaching, Bible-teaching church, and that is the number one requirement, IMO, for a church.
eldurand

Postby MacGyver on Tue Feb 27, 2007 3:20 pm

Well, when i first met Jesus I went to this independent charismatic church where my friend who led me to the Lord and I were the only white people! It was great! But that was during college and I moved, so at my new job a lady invited me to her church, which was Christian and Missionary Alliance. I was reluctant because I went to the fellowship on campus sponsored by the same denomination and it fell flat. But I went. I've been there ever since! I love it's biblical stand, focus on reaching out, and it's conservativism. (is that a word???) I mean conservative as far as world view...you might have two CMA's in the same county and one's pentecostal and the other is traditional...I like that variety, too. Mine's more on the traditional side, but we aren't hard and fast with it. Even within the family we're very diverse. Anyway, that's where I worship (and I LOVE worship) and where I've been a youth leader and teen Sunday school teacher for the last 11 years. :)
His mind is the ultimate weapon...

Knowing is half the battle!

It's all fun and games until someone loses an eternity.
MacGyver

Postby RevSears on Thu Mar 15, 2007 7:24 pm

I'm probably done with the sbc for good now. that breif stay as the youth pastor of a baptist church had it's own topic on this board. Oddly enough i'm taking a baptist doctrine class and really likeing what i learn but unfortantly if you've been around nondenominatal churches as long as i have, most baptist churches won't touch you with a ten foot pool. It's a shame that there is such a major division in name yet such simliar doctrines!

So, i'm nondenominitinal, still lean southern baptist but the church has a good touch of pentecostal, methodist and geeze i think we totaled 6 or 7 denominations in the place at one point.
RevSears

Re: The "what's your denomination" thread...

Postby MacLeaper on Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:00 pm

I think Keith Green said it really well once- "I just want to be remembered as a Christian."

And that's what I am. The church I grew up with was called an Evangelical Bible church, so I think that falls into more non-denominational stuff. (Hmm- the Non-Denominational Denomination gets to be a bit wordy- and confusing)
But as Tony Evans once said, I'm a Christian Baptist. Because being Southern Baptist doesn't make you a Christian. Being a follower of Christ makes you a Christian. (That's literally what the word means). And sadly, many people may belong to a church, but aren't necessarily Christians. That's a choice that everyone has to individually make for themselves. And I'm glad I made that choice for Christ as a young child- and I've been walking with Him ever since (through all my ups and downs, Jesus has always been around!)
But I thought I'd also point out that I know people of other denominations and have been to a couple different denominational churches, like Methodist, Presbyterian and Nazarene. Okay, I guess I've also been in a Lutheran church too, for that matter. And I've been to a few predominantly black Baptist churches with some friends- and it's definitely Southern Baptist- but they also definitely have their own style. :)
And I'm somewhat familiar with Christian Missionary Alliance- my old youth pastor moved to a CMA church where he serves as associate pastor working with youth. And I've known some Catholics too, for that matter.
I differ on beliefs on some more minor issues with some denominations (and I've had interesting discussions about theology with one of my Presbyterian friends and the local Nazarene pastor in my old town. That was pretty neat- I was the Baptist pastor's kid living in the parsonage that was right across the street from the Nazarene church- so I'd wind up hanging out there with them after my own church service on Wednesday and Sunday nights sometimes- and I had a lot of fun discussions about differences in theology with the pastor- who was also my neighbor because his house was right across the street from mine. And of course, the ocassional Baptist vs. Nazarene razzing. :P )
But it's all good as long as you know Jesus as Savior! That's how I look at it. I know there's gonna be some things I'm not going to agree on, but I try not to sweat the small stuff. Just so long as we agree on the major stuff- that Jesus is the Son of God who came to Earth and died to pay for all the sins of the world and rose again from the dead and is coming back again! And He's the only way to Heaven- nothing else will get you there! As long as you got that down, we're cool. :)
God's blessings to all!
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me." - Jesus Christ (John 14:6)

"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver

YO JOE!!!
MacLeaper

Location: mentally off on Pluto sometimes, but physically on Earth (for now!) ;-)

Postby MacGyver on Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:17 pm

I've been in the Christian and Missionary Alliance for....13/14 years. Our particular church is fairly conservative, but even in the Alliance we run the range from ultra-conservative to charismatic. You may have never heard of the C&MA, but maybe you've seen the logo...
200px-CMAlogo.gif
CMA Logo
200px-CMAlogo.gif (8.21 KB) Viewed 2369 times

The globe is obviously for our missions focus. The other symbols (top to bottom, left to right) stand for Jesus as our Savior, Healer, Sanctifier and King.

Before that, I did cut my spiritual teeth at an independent black charismatic church (and was conspicuously one of only 2 white people there...the other was my friend) and loved it. Also did a stint at an Assembly of God.
His mind is the ultimate weapon...

Knowing is half the battle!

It's all fun and games until someone loses an eternity.
MacGyver

Postby MacLeaper on Sat Mar 01, 2008 1:16 pm

Hmm- nice to see such an ecumenical range of denominations here.
I think it's good to at least know a little bit of what other denominations (and other religions for that matter) believe.
I remember one Sunday last year I think it was- I had a pretty neat ecumenical experience. My brother and I, of Baptist background, went to a Methodist church in the morning with one of our best friends and then in the evening (since we were visiting them for the weekend) then that afternoon got back to town and went to a Presbyterian church (because my brother's roommate goes there). That was a pretty interesting range of church. :)
I also love one thing the churches in my old town used to do. All the Christian denominations would get together to do a community Thanksgiving service- and I can't think of a more appropriate time to be thankful for all our Christian brothers and sisters. So the Baptist churches, Nazarene church, Lutheran church and Methodist church would all get together and trade off holding the service every year in a different church- and all the pastors would be involved in some way in either reading a Scripture or praying or giving the sermon. It was really neat to have all the different denominations together, with people of various races, all united in Christ. And of course, we always had a great little shindig afterwards with a little potluck supper going on! That's what I'm talking about! LOL
(Because food is like mandatory in a Baptist church ;-))
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me." - Jesus Christ (John 14:6)

YO JOE!!!
MacLeaper

Location: mentally off on Pluto sometimes, but physically on Earth (for now!) ;-)

Postby thea on Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:30 pm

My father was a Church of the Nazarene pastor - who after pastoring for over 40 years - told me he had been brainwashed by the church.

I myself am Berean - and quite a mixture of everything - as I am Baptist - Pentecostal - all rolled into one

I am mainly BIBLE - I love my Schofield Bible - and my "The Students Commentary on the Holy Scriptures" by George Williams.

It don't matter what denominational church you belong to - I don't think -- because I kicked "parsonage-itis" out the window when I finally discovered who Jesus said HE WAS and IS.

thea
thea

Postby MacLeaper on Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:11 am

because I kicked "parsonage-itis" out the window

LOL, yeah, after living in a parsonage for over a decade, I suppose I got a bit of parsonage-itis too. :P Ready to be moving on up- to the big time, to a deluxe apartment in the sky! (Well, mine's on the second (of two) floor anyway.) :)
(Can't wait for my mansion in the sky- in Heaven! :D )

YO JOE!!!
MacLeaper

Postby Huxford's Hiatus on Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:49 am

MacLeaper wrote:I think Keith Green said it really well once- "I just want to be remembered as a Christian."

Amen to that! Love the Keith Green quote!

Well, let's see. When I found Jesus I was attending a Conservative Baptist church. Went to Protestant services while I was in the Marines (non-denominational). Then I attended another Baptist church. Now my wife and kids and I attend at a Presbyterian church, which we really enjoy. I've tried out many different Protestant denominations over the years, and even a couple of Catholic churches, for variety. As long as the Word is preached, and it's Bible oriented, I'm usually pretty comfortable wherever I am.

Just your run-of-the-mill born again Christian. :mrgreen:
Huxford's Hiatus

Postby Whiplash on Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:46 pm

I attend a Southern Baptist church in Oxford, OH. I was saved and baptized in a Baptist church 18 years ago. In fact, I'm getting ready to celebrate my 18th spiritual birthday on April 29th.
Whiplash

Postby Zanyboy on Sat Jul 05, 2008 6:10 pm

I was baptized and raised Catholic and graduated from a private Catholic school.

After graduating, I never set foot in that church again (..except when invited by friends or family to the occasional wedding/baptism/ or comfirmation service).

I guess technically I'm still a member of the place because it's been like 17 years since I've stopped attending services and I still recieve mail from them asking for donations.
Zanyboy

Postby Captain Tomorrow on Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:54 am

I'm Lutheran, but my dad is Catholic.
As my friend says "We're like Catholics, but we like shorts."
GOD BLESSES EVERYONE!
Captain Tomorrow

Postby Professor on Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:52 pm

I'm a proud Roman Catholic! But have family in many different denominations. (LDS, Southern Baptist, etc.)
It doesn't matter whether you are a lion or a gazelle in africa: when the sun comes up you'd better be running.
Professor

PreviousNext

Return to Member Information