Seeking Salvation

The beginning... if you are new to the site or just looking for some information about the others, want to introduce yourself, discuss your denomination, etc, start here.

Seeking Salvation

Postby Steven on Tue Apr 17, 2007 3:43 pm

Hello,

I wanted to introduce myself and write about what lead me here. I'll be turning 30 this year. I go by Top Dollar on Joe Customs and have been aware of this site for some time. I preferred to sign up with my real name since it's who I really am.

I was baptised Catholic but have never been overly religious. My parents would take me to church and I believed in Jesus but didn't truly know Him. Lately I've been feeling as if Jesus Christ is calling out to me. Maybe it's the fact that I've felt lost for some time as to what my purpose is or the fact that the world seems to be in great turmoil and I want to make sure I'm one of His followers. I know a lot of good takes place on Earth but there also seems to be much more evil today as well.

I've often felt that Christ has a purpose for me on Earth but not really sure what it is. When I was first born, my lungs both collapsed and was deprived of oxygen for a short while. The doctor told my dad that I wouldn't last the night and it wouldn't matter since I would be mentally challenged. My dad told me that he prayed and prayed for my survival and my health. I believe Jesus did answer his prayers that day and I owe Him so much. It's about time I acknowledged that and turn towards His teachings and show others the way as well.

I purchased my first Bible the other day and I will soon be seeking a church to attend. I will also be getting married in November and I want to lead my future bride to Jesus Christ as well since He wasn't always present in her life as He should be. She'll need to be baptised and I'm thinking that I will be baptised again. We've discussed this and she is open to it so I thank God for that. I would also like to bring my dad, mom and brother back to the Lord. I suddenly have a inclination to help save as many people as possible.

I also have sinned and am not proud of that. I have a tendency to lust and can be too concerned with vanity. Both with myself and with others. I've been praying to Jesus for help to overcome these sins.

I may lurk more than I post but I enjoy reading the conversations here. As time goes on and I become more familiar with the Bible, I will probably have questions or topics that I bring up for discussion. I'm still a child when it comes to knowing the Lord but I plan on working to change that about myself. Thanks to the administrators for hosting a site like this.
Steven

Postby Matthew on Tue Apr 17, 2007 3:58 pm

welcome Steven!

glad to have you aboard. feel free to shoot any questions out. dan (camper), paul (pl_walker), brian (colts fan), and chad are always good at answering questions.

MacGuyver may be a newbie, but she's really made an impact in her short time.

And as far as knowledge of the Bible goes, it's not necessary in order to jump right in. All you need is the faith to keep on going. Check out Wowboy's post. His faith makes me in awe of what can do when we are faithful.

btw, when were you saved. Your subject said "seeking salvation" but it looks like you've found it.

btw, almost all of us have struggled or still struggle with lusting and other things, so don't be afraid to post on here or pm me about them.

Once again, I'm happy your on board.
Matthew
The Mayor

Postby Chuck Norris on Tue Apr 17, 2007 4:41 pm

Glad to have you Steven!

I just want to say how encouraging it is to me to see a man seeking Christ and seeking to see others get saved. By the way, one sign that salvation has taken place, is our desire to spread the gospel, so be encouraged. The devil attacks me all the time about making me doubt my salvation, so know "wanting to make sure" is a very common way to feel. We can all know for 100% that we know the Lord, so be encouraged, it just takes faith and believing God's word.

Ask as many questions as you like, fellowship and His teachings is what this place is all about. I've got plenty of questions myself.

Good to see another brother in the Lord.

><>
Chuck Norris
does not sleep. He waits.

Postby MacGyver on Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:50 pm

Matthew
PostPosted: MacGuyver may be a newbie, but she's really made an impact in her short time.

Wow...that's humbling to read. I'm glad God's using me here, even tho sometimes I wonder how! :)

Welcome Steven! I'm so glad you've joined us! I'm kind of an oddity here, I think, being a girl, but then, I'm an oddity most anywhere... LOL.

Praise God for yet another man who has a heart for sharing salvation! I can see God using you in huge ways. ;) You've really joined an incredible bunch of guys here...I know I'm honored that they've been so open to me. Do not hesitate to ask tough questions or share your struggles because this place is an amazing source of encouragement, grace and exhortation. But you've probably already seen that! And it's already been said, but it can't be emphasized enough...you don't have know your Bible inside and out to participate here. ;)

Just a word for those who aren't sure of their salvation for whatever reason...Don't feel bad! I think all of us question these things at different times.

Before he died, I had the unimaginable honor of sharing the gospel with my grandfather. It was probably the hardest thing I ever did...I mean the man was my hero! He'd read the Bible at least twice through while stationed in the Philippines during WWII. He was a good man in every sense of the word. How could I tell him he needed Jesus? About 2 weeks before his death, we talked, and the recurring question he had was "Do you think there's a place up there for me?" Talk about a breaking heart! He was very worried about whether he'd lived a good enough life. Well, if it were up to me, ABSOLUTELY this man had lived a good enough life! But it's not, so I shared with him how there was nothing we could do to get into heaven but accept Jesus dying on the cross for our sins. We left the hospital and went back the next day, and I came prepared with a note that I wanted to leave with him because we had to travel the 3 hours back home and I didn't know if I'd see him again. We talked a little and I gave him the note and I very reluctantly left. In the note I had included some verses to help him see that if he accepts Jesus he WILL have that place in heaven and he'd never have to worry if there was a place 'up there' for him again. The verses were 1 John 5:11-12 (God has given us eternal life, and this life is in his Son. He who has the Son has the life and he who does not have the son does not have life.) and John :12 (As many as receive Him (Jesus), to them He gave the right to become children of God, even those who believe in His name.). Two weeks later he died. When I went back for the funeral, I was introduced to the preacher who was doing the service. He said "Oh, you're Amy. Your note really touched John (my grandfather)." So he shared with me that apparently later in the day I had left that note, he had gone in to visit my grandfather (and apparently had been visiting him most of the time he was in the hospital). He said they talked about the Steelers and whatnot (yeah...we're Pittsburghers) and then Pap just started crying. When asked why, he handed the preacher my note. I don't know if it was that day or not, but he led my Pap to the Lord. Those verses gave my grampa just what he needed to KNOW he could go to heaven. I cling to those verses any time I have a doubt and I hope in the round about way I told them to you, that they give you assurance, too. :)
His mind is the ultimate weapon...

Knowing is half the battle!

It's all fun and games until someone loses an eternity.
MacGyver

Postby chad_ghost on Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:54 pm

Steven (Top Dollar)! It is a blessing to have you aboard. I'm glad that you are here and if I can help in anyway, let me know.

And for the above statements from Matt and Jonathan (Chuck Norris), that is about all you need to know.

Again, great to have you here!!
chad_ghost

Chad & Matthew's Custom GI Joe Figures
"We cannot live the Christian life, only strive to. Only one man did, and they named it after Him."
chad_ghost
Administrator

Postby ColtsFan76 on Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:36 pm

Wonderful to have you here Steven! You have an amesome testimony from literally your first breath to now. How amazing! I think the promptings you feel and the actions you are taking reflect your sincerity and truly show God working in your life.

This is a great group of guys (and gals now that MacGyver is around - every elite team has their Scarlett!) and I hope you will feel welcome in whatever conversations you feel like jumping into - concerning religion or not!

And please pepper us with questions. We don't always have the answer but by God's grace we usually all get something out of the discussion including more understanding.

Again, welcome to the site and if you ever need anything let us know!

-Brian
James 1:19-20 (NIV)
My dear brothers, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry, for man's anger does not bring about the righteous life that God desires.

<><
ColtsFan76
aka G.I. Bri

Postby camper on Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:55 am

Welcome aboard!

Like Bri mentioned, just start asking away. You don't need to know the Bible inside & out to ask questions, or just to talk about things.

The things you say you're struggling with are things everyone does.

And Mac....awesome story about your grandfather. Just because you didn't *personally* lead him to Christ, doesn't mean you didn't play an integral role in it. Sometimes you're just used to plant the seed and move on so someone else can finish the job - but there would be no job to finish if no see was planted.

dan
camper

Postby pl_walker on Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:36 pm

Welcome Steven,

Glad to have you around, and we will do our best to answer any of the questions you have.

Reading your story about when you were born reminds me of John and Charles Wesley. When they were young, there was a fire in their house. Both boys were still in the house as it burned. They were rescued and as they grew, their mother, Suzanna, continually told them that they were brands, plucked from the fire for God's use. :)

I was also reminded of my younger son. Not sure if you found the threads yet, but we had a car accident in February. He was unresponsive for what seemed like forever. He had a huge knot on his forehead and a cut on the back of his head. He was airlifted to the hospital because of their concern about his head injury. By God's grace he was released that evening. However, he still seems to be suffering from Post Concussion Syndrome. One of the symptoms is impaired judgement, and we believe that is what led him to run away just over a month ago. We found him fairly quickly, and he was safe. He wasn't sure why he did it. I have told him several times that God has something very special for him. We are encouraging him to begin even now (he's 9) to prepare his heart to follow God.

Anyway, jump in and ask away if you have any questions. We are a motley group by the standards of some, but I have found more support and help here than I have gotten in quite a while from several churches.

Paul
pl_walker

Postby Steven on Wed Apr 18, 2007 3:47 pm

First, let me say thanks to everyone for the warm welcome, kind words and offers of support. It is comforting to know that I don't need to be an expert on the Bible to be accepted here. My goal is to learn so that makes things easier for me.

Matthew, I am not sure at what point I was saved. I'm thinking it was a build up of things that turned me towards the Lord. It's definitely recent though. Thank you for your support.

Chuck, I can definitely tell when Satan attacks. I've gotten better at discerning when he uses people to put doubts in my head or when tempting me to sin. It is most encouraging to know that spreading the word of Jesus is a sign of salvation.

MacGuyver, thank you for sharing your awesome story. I'm sure your grandfather was comforted by what you did for him. I will surely keep those verses at hand for my times of doubt.

Chad, thanks for the well wishes. The support here is a blessing.

Brian, I appreciate the offer to answer any questions I may have. I'm sure there will be plenty.

Camper, I think this place will be a valuable asset to help me overcome my sinful desires. I'm sure the devil has a harder time carrying out his wicked plans when Christians support one another.

Paul, I do believe Jesus knows who His people are and my heart tells me I am one of them. I am sorry to hear about your son but I will pray for him, you and your family. I have faith that He will heal all wounds and will have great rewards for your son.

Again, thanks to everyone and God bless!
Steven

Postby MacGyver on Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:35 am

:) Just thought I'd add this...Don't feel like you need to be an expert at scripture to share the gospel, either. Just be in God's Word, and He will use you. There have even been times when I spouted off scripture and had no idea I knew it until I looked it up later..."Oh...NOW I remember....thank you Holy Spirit!" A basic understanding of what Jesus did, why we need it, and how to get it is all you really need. ;) All these methods of sharing the gospel to learn...they're helpful...but if you've had the experience yourself (and you have!)...you're good to go.
His mind is the ultimate weapon...

Knowing is half the battle!

It's all fun and games until someone loses an eternity.
MacGyver

Postby the pyromaniac on Wed Apr 25, 2007 4:02 pm

Steven wrote: It is comforting to know that I don't need to be an expert on the Bible to be accepted here. My goal is to learn so that makes things easier for me.

Pretty much, if you have that attitude on here, we're glad to have you... As you start seeing God make changes in your life, if you start becoming more interested in Christian music you can always fire off a PM at me or noRmus, though I also hafta recognize MacGyver and mi amigo poetflint for having most excellent taste in music!

...and you've been on joecustoms long enough to know what I do... I raise my frosty cold can o' Jolt in your honor to bid thee welcome (even though I'm a few days late... sorry 'bout that!) :D
"A lot of Christians take a part of their life and try to make it their ministry. Plumb is my job, but every conscious second is my ministry."

Tiffany (Arbuckle) Lee
lead singer, Plumb
the pyromaniac

Postby PoetFlint on Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:33 pm

Glad to have you here, brother.
I am glad you are thinking you will get re-baptized as it is supposed to be an outward statemnet of you sins being washed away by christ's blood. I too was baptized when i was young, and you as a baby you kinda can't say it was you choosing it, but when you get it done the second time all the better. :D
"They make their tongues as sharp as serpent's; the poison of vipers is on their lips."
Psalm 140:3
PoetFlint

Return to Member Information