Board games....

What games are you playing? This can be anywhere from card to video games. And for the online gamers, you might find some company as well.

Board games....

Postby ColtsFan76 on Mon Feb 13, 2006 6:12 pm

Is everyone just into video games these days - or does anyone play any board games any more? If so which ones?

Me and a couple of friends have been on an Axis & Allies fix lately. Since Hasbro determined that I wouldn't be spending as much on Joes, I have been looking into buying more games. I recently discovered Eagle Games and picked up copies of their discontinued "Napoleon in Europe" and "American Civil War." NiE is like Risk on steroids - the pieces are 1/72 scale and the board is 3'0" x 4'0" ACW is set up in a similar way.

I have also been looking into getting Memoir '44. It is a tactical battle game of WWII. I was looking for Battle Cry by the same designer (Richard Borg) but it is also out of print and pretty expensive. Has anyone played either M44 or BC? If so, what did you think about them?
James 1:19-20 (NIV)
My dear brothers, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry, for man's anger does not bring about the righteous life that God desires.

<><
ColtsFan76
aka G.I. Bri

Re: Board games....

Postby Jedi Master Shadow on Mon Feb 13, 2006 7:53 pm

G.I. Bri wrote:Is everyone just into video games these days - or does anyone play any board games any more? If so which ones?

Me and a couple of friends have been on an Axis & Allies fix lately. Since Hasbro determined that I wouldn't be spending as much on Joes, I have been looking into buying more games. I recently discovered Eagle Games and picked up copies of their discontinued "Napoleon in Europe" and "American Civil War." NiE is like Risk on steroids - the pieces are 1/72 scale and the board is 3'0" x 4'0" ACW is set up in a similar way.

I have also been looking into getting Memoir '44. It is a tactical battle game of WWII. I was looking for Battle Cry by the same designer (Richard Borg) but it is also out of print and pretty expensive. Has anyone played either M44 or BC? If so, what did you think about them?

I'm more into CCGs (Collectible Card Games) like the Upper Deck vs system and the old Decipher Star Wars game (no, I don't play Magic The Gathering!). However, I do like Risk - sounds like NiE is pretty cool - what's the difference between it and American Civil War? Or is one an expansion of the other?
Ephesians 6:11 - "Put on the full armor of God, so that you will be able to stand firm against the schemes of the devil."

Jedi Master Shadow

Postby camper on Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:20 pm

Not much into non-computer games lately, but that's mainly because of time and everything else.

I normally like the traditionals, like monopoly, life, battleship, etc.

Though, when we were living up in Mass last year, we used to play "Scene It" with our neighbors. That's a fun game for a DVD junkie like me :P

dan
camper

Re: Board games....

Postby ColtsFan76 on Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:29 pm

Jedi Master Shadow wrote:However, I do like Risk - sounds like NiE is pretty cool - what's the difference between it and American Civil War? Or is one an expansion of the other?

They are two seperate games. ACW was one of Eagle's first games so it lacks some of the refinement NiE has. ACW is a 2-player game that pits north vs. south as you battle over a map of the eastern US. NiE is a map of Europs and northern africa - it can be played with up to 7 players. Both games come with artillery, cavalry, leaders (on horses), and infantry.

The warfare in each game is pretty similar since they aren't too far off in the time period. It is mostly about setting up a left, right, and center flank with a reserve line. If your line gets broken, your enemy basically forces you to scatter and gets one last pot shot at you before he retreats. Both games are more like A&A where different pieces have different strengths - but the pieces can target specific pieces.

Added into that (there is a set of basic rules that keeps it simple), you can sue for peace, produce more units, declare alliances, and a whole lot of other things that makes you feel like a statesman during the Napoleonic era.
My dear brothers, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry, for man's anger does not bring about the righteous life that God desires.

<><
ColtsFan76
aka G.I. Bri

Postby Tim Elf on Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:47 am

Eagle Games is a cool company. I really want to get their remake of Conquest of the Empire.

But my current gaming fixation is Heroscape. Simple, yet full of strategy. Beautiful miniatures which are NOT randomly "collectible." And an awesome map system.
Serve the King. Live by His Code. Fight for His Cause.

http://www.menofvalor.cc
http://www.christianfictionreview.com
Tim Elf

Postby ColtsFan76 on Tue Feb 28, 2006 1:25 pm

Tim Elf wrote:Eagle Games is a cool company. I really want to get their remake of Conquest of the Empire.

But my current gaming fixation is Heroscape. Simple, yet full of strategy. Beautiful miniatures which are NOT randomly "collectible." And an awesome map system.

Yeah, I bought a hobbled together version of Napoleon in Europe form them and they were all out of the NiE game box. So they shipped everything in the COTE box - which of course just got me into wanting that game. but since I now have a stack of "grand strategy games" and very few to play with, I think I am going to postpone the COTE purchase for now.

<><
ColtsFan76
aka G.I. Bri

Postby CreepingDeath on Thu May 11, 2006 11:06 pm

Let's see.....right now I've been having a blast with a game called Mall of Horror. It's a "zombies attack a mall and you must vote for various things within the stores including who gets eaten when the zombies get numerous enough to break in the store" game. It looks like it is gonna be super fun with five or six players. I have currently only played the three player game.

Also, I haven't played it yet, but I received Carcasonne: Ark of the Covenant in the mail today. I will be looking forward to trying it out. I've also received, but not yet opened or played Carcasonne: The Castle. It is supposed to be a great two player game.

Avalon Hill's Betrayal at the House on the Hill is another horror story type game with an interesting traitor mechanism that is a lot of fun.

Dungeons and Dragons Miniatures, the skirmish game, has found it's way into my play rotation. I estimate having probably 800 to 1000 minis.

I still play some CCG's such as G.I. Joe and Duel Masters.

Video games???? Who has time for that silly stuff??? (well at least until the next Half-Life comes out) :wink:
CreepingDeath

Postby andrwfields on Thu May 11, 2006 11:21 pm

I'm a sucker for old-school board games like Monopoly, Life, and Scatagories. I just love all of those games.
"...An Apology. If you met me between 1987 and 2005 and I told you, "I'll pray for you," that was a lie. Never happened. I probably didn't pray for you. And that's not cool." - Prodigal Jon from StuffChristiansLike.blogspot.com
andrwfields
Constable

Postby ColtsFan76 on Fri May 12, 2006 6:36 am

CreepingDeath wrote:Also, I haven't played it yet, but I received Carcasonne: Ark of the Covenant in the mail today. I will be looking forward to trying it out. I've also received, but not yet opened or played Carcasonne: The Castle. It is supposed to be a great two player game.

I never got into Carcasonne but see it everywhere. Because of the name, I was tempted to get Ark of the Covenant. How does Carcasonne play out? Let me know what you think of AOTC.

<><
ColtsFan76
aka G.I. Bri

Postby CreepingDeath on Fri May 12, 2006 10:06 pm

Man, I never have played a Carcasonne game at all. I was attracted by the Ark theme, and knew that "gamers" talk highly of the euro stuff.

So I figured I would get my Old Testament fix, and have an excuse to finally try a euro game. I will let you know how it goes as soon as we crack it open. Hopefully that will be sometime this weekend.

As far as Carcasonne : The Castle, my ebay seller sent it to me by mistake. It was supposed to be my Ark of the Covenant game. When I informed him of the mistake, he told me to keep it, and that he would send my Ark game right away. Two for the price of one....I love bargains!! :D
CreepingDeath

Postby CreepingDeath on Mon May 29, 2006 10:16 pm

ColtsFan76 wrote: How does Carcasonne play out? Let me know what you think of AOTC.

Ok, we played it tonight. Basically you have a number of picture tiles, 72 to be exact. They are shuffled and then stacked face down. There is a starting tile with a portion of a walled city and roadway visible.

Each player draws a tile and puts it in play where it will logically fit with the features of the tiles already in play, roads connect to roads, walled city sections connect to walled city sections, etc.

The player may then put a "follower" piece in play on a road/partial road, city/partial city, temple area, or field. Once the Ark comes into play, upon completion of the first city, a player may move it up to 5 spaces instead of placing a "follower". Players gain one point for the Ark passing through a tile containing one of their "followers".

As these cities, roads, and temples are completed, the player who has a "follower" piece sitting on it, scores points. The points are represented by a "follower" piece making it's way around the scoring track. When all 72 pieces are used up, the player who has made it furthest on the scoring track wins.

Pretty fun game. Easy to learn. My 8 year old played easily, yet there is plenty of strategy for adults. Our three player game took about 45 minutes. My wife won.
Last edited by CreepingDeath on Mon May 29, 2006 10:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
CreepingDeath

Postby CreepingDeath on Mon May 29, 2006 10:27 pm

Although not quite a board game. We played Wyatt Earp by Rio Grande Games today. This is a card game for 2-4 players. It was very fun. Supposedly it is a variation of rummy.

The object is to play sets of cards representing outlaws to gain the largest portion of their rewards offered at the end of a hand. The first player to earn $25,000 wins.

There are special function cards played throughout the game to drastically alter results. These are called sheriff cards, and consist of such things as "bank robbery", "hideout", "fastest gun in the west", and "most wanted" cards.

Just a real fun game. My wife and I played. On the third game, we had the rules down pat, and it timed in at 35 minutes. Recommended ages 12+. I think a 10 year old could play it well enough though.
CreepingDeath

Postby ColtsFan76 on Thu Jun 01, 2006 7:36 pm

CreepingDeath wrote:Ok, we played it tonight. Basically you have a number of picture tiles, 72 to be exact. They are shuffled and then stacked face down. There is a starting tile with a portion of a walled city and roadway visible.

Grabbed my copy tonite to take on the trip. I still have to pack but I am sure I will steal away and read the rules. Not sure that I can get a game in before I leave though.

I'll let you know!

<><
ColtsFan76
aka G.I. Bri

Postby ColtsFan76 on Sun Jun 11, 2006 7:46 am

Unfortunately, I only got one game of the Ark in this week Kel. We had two game nights but we got stuck on the large group games because we had more than 5 players. But my girlfriend and I had a chance to get one game in and it was pretty fun.

Like you said, seems to be easy enough to pick up for kids but plenty of strategy for adults also. She did a good job of completing large cities to jump ahead in the points total. I took the strategy to place a follower on everything that was completed to pick up the small points as often as possible. The end game, where you get partial points for all partial areas completed was what wiped her out though. When the game ended, I had all my followers on the board and she only had one or two. Huge points racked up there!

The ark didn't come into play a whole lot. I was too busy placing followers and she didn't realize the impact of moving it away from my pieces. When I did move it, I think maybe 4 times or so, I picked up maybe a dozen points. Once she realized she could have and should have moved it more, it was too late.

Overall, a quick fun game. We look forward to another game soon and will hopefully get a couple more players.

<><
ColtsFan76
aka G.I. Bri

Postby MacGyver on Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:56 pm

I love board games!

Recently, we've gotten into Blokus and the Mexican Train Game. Blokus is really cool...I've got kids in the youth group addicted to it! ;)

Other favorites of mine include Catch Phrase (great group game), Skip-bo (card game), Scrabble, Risk. We have a Christian themed board game called Redemption City of Bondage that kind of has a D&D feel to it...pretty cool...but we've also played the Redemption CCG (not too recently) and I really like that.
His mind is the ultimate weapon...

Knowing is half the battle!

It's all fun and games until someone loses an eternity.
MacGyver

Next

Return to Gaming