Collectible Card Games (CCG)...

What games are you playing? This can be anywhere from card to video games. And for the online gamers, you might find some company as well.

Collectible Card Games (CCG)...

Postby Jedi Master Shadow on Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:00 pm

In the spirit of GI Bri's board games thread, does anyone here play Collectible Card Games (CCGs)?

I liked the old Decipher Star Wars game, despite the fact that it often was exploited by people who stocked up on the rare cards - it just wasn't balanced enough. At least the Lord of the Rings CCG that Decipher put out has addressed that for the most part.

I also like the Upper Deck VS system, which lets you play Marvel and DC characters together in the same deck. I'd love to see expansions moving into other comics universes - like Image or Dark Horse...

Recently, I picked up some cards from the WizKids "High Stakes Drifter" card game just because I thought the cards looked so insanely cool. I've been sticking them in a binder, actually, and haven't even tried to learn how to play it yet. :)
Ephesians 6:11 - "Put on the full armor of God, so that you will be able to stand firm against the schemes of the devil."

Jedi Master Shadow

Postby ColtsFan76 on Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:22 pm

CCG is a bad combo for me. I want all the cards to play and I want all the cards to collect. I got started in CCG with Magic about 10 years ago. I missed the first couple of waves and started with Unlimited right after Legends came out (so between the 2nd and 3rd expansion). We caled it "cardboard crack" back then because it was an addiction. I tried to get into Decipher's Star Trek but just didn't like the game so I finished out the collection and recently got rid of it on ebay. I ditched CCGs completely just as Deciper's Star Wars came out - though it seemed a vast improvement over ST.

I stayed away from CCGs until I discovered GI Joe's last year. Same thing though, fell hard for the cards and spent more money than I should have to get a complete collection AND 4 of everything to make any deck possible. But with WotC pulling the plug, it has left a bad taste in my mouth to start into another CCG. I am afraid to make a huge investment again and then get burned because of change in company marketing.

Most of what's out there seems like it is just picking up on fads (like LOTR) or other blockbuster movies. It seems the ones with the staying power are Magic, Vs., and Yu-gi-oh - none of which grab my attention. The one that looks neat is the one that makes the little ships - can't think of the name. I love the age of sail and thought about that game but CCG's just drain me too much.

What got you into the games that you like Jedi? The way they play, the themes?
James 1:19-20 (NIV)
My dear brothers, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry, for man's anger does not bring about the righteous life that God desires.

<><
ColtsFan76
aka G.I. Bri

Postby Skyfire on Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:59 pm

I've been toying with the idea of starting, but I don't have very many hours at work and so am constantly broke.
Skyfire

Postby Jedi Master Shadow on Tue Feb 14, 2006 12:12 pm

G.I. Bri wrote: CCG is a bad combo for me. I want all the cards to play and I want all the cards to collect. I got started in CCG with Magic about 10 years ago. I missed the first couple of waves and started with Unlimited right after Legends came out (so between the 2nd and 3rd expansion). We caled it "cardboard crack" back then because it was an addiction. I tried to get into Decipher's Star Trek but just didn't like the game so I finished out the collection and recently got rid of it on ebay. I ditched CCGs completely just as Deciper's Star Wars came out - though it seemed a vast improvement over ST.

I stayed away from CCGs until I discovered GI Joe's last year. Same thing though, fell hard for the cards and spent more money than I should have to get a complete collection AND 4 of everything to make any deck possible. But with WotC pulling the plug, it has left a bad taste in my mouth to start into another CCG. I am afraid to make a huge investment again and then get burned because of change in company marketing.

Most of what's out there seems like it is just picking up on fads (like LOTR) or other blockbuster movies. It seems the ones with the staying power are Magic, Vs., and Yu-gi-oh - none of which grab my attention. The one that looks neat is the one that makes the little ships - can't think of the name. I love the age of sail and thought about that game but CCG's just drain me too much.

What got you into the games that you like Jedi? The way they play, the themes?

Actually, I got into them because of the same pull you mentioned - to collect them. Since I'm a big Star Wars fan, I started with the Decipher Star Wars CCG. I've never played or read much about the Star Trek game, so I can't compare them. The SW game was a lot of fun, but like I mentioned before, if someone had the rare cards (always the Darth Vaders and Luke Skywalkers of the sets), they walked all over the other player. So it wasn't very balanced. Anyway, I started by just putting them in 9-card sheets in binders. I still do that - habit, I guess - and don't use them for my deck building unless I already have a copy in the binder, so one set stays mint.

I collected a few packs of the Joe CCG and really didn't care for it. The art was cool, but the fact that they stopped producing it after one expansion sucked.

I agree about your assessment of the staying power ones - I definitely think those three will be around awhile. LOTR has quite a few sets out (at least 12 already), and while there are less people playing it now, Decipher is trying to set it up to continue its playability by adding new cards and tactics to the set. But you're right that fad cards tend to crash and burn after awhile.

Speaking of fad cards, I hear there's a Battlestar Galactica CCG on the way. I could see myself collecting that for the cards, and not so much for the game itself. I love me some Battlestar!
Ephesians 6:11 - "Put on the full armor of God, so that you will be able to stand firm against the schemes of the devil."

Jedi Master Shadow

Re: Collectible Card Games (CCG)...

Postby ColtsFan76 on Tue Feb 14, 2006 12:56 pm

Jedi Master Shadow wrote:Recently, I picked up some cards from the WizKids "High Stakes Drifter" card game just because I thought the cards looked so insanely cool. I've been sticking them in a binder, actually, and haven't even tried to learn how to play it yet. :)

Of the ones you mentioned, this one intrigues me the most. I checked out the website but was a bit rushed and didn't get a good grasp of the game. I see that they have a demo set that you can print out and play. I may try that tonite. How does the game play out? What's the layman's terms for the object of the game and what your dudes are trying to do each round?

I looked around at Meijer last night (which usually has a decent selection of CCGs) but couldn't find it. They also weren't carrying the Pirates of the Spanish Main (the other CCG that caught my eye - probably means it is not so popular though they are planning like their 5th or 6th expansion already).

Has anyone played "Bang!"? It is not a collectible card game but is a quick card game dubbed a "beer and pretzels" game because it is quick to learn and quick to play. It is a Spaghetti Western type of game where there is a Sheriff protected by his deputies who are battling against the outlaws. Among them is a Renegade who is trying to eliminate the outlaws before taking out the Sheriff and his posse. Only the Sheriff is revealed at the beginning of the game so he never truly knows who his deputies are or if the Renegade is playing him. It really is a fun game and sold out just about everywhere it is carried. they have two recent expansions out (but all boxes are the same so their are no rare cards needed to be found).

The only downside for Christians is that one of the key components of the game is to drink beer to gain life points back. So if the "glorification" of alcohol bothers you, or more importantly, you don't want to expose your kids to that aspect, it is a negative. If you can overlook that aspect of it, or find a creative way around it, then it is a rather fun game.
James 1:19-20 (NIV)
My dear brothers, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry, for man's anger does not bring about the righteous life that God desires.

<><
ColtsFan76
aka G.I. Bri

Postby chad_ghost on Tue Feb 14, 2006 5:28 pm

i collect the joe cards, though i havent completed my sets. ive never played but think it would be fun.

still, the cards are great and i love the expansions... Bri :)
chad_ghost

Chad & Matthew's Custom GI Joe Figures
"We cannot live the Christian life, only strive to. Only one man did, and they named it after Him."
chad_ghost
Administrator

Postby V_Max on Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:13 pm

I've never been big on the CCG phenomenon, but I got deep into the Joe one, mostly for collectibility sake, but ended up really liking the way the game played as well. Wizards/Hasbro had their problems, though, and while I still have all of the cards, I just don't have the desire to play.

I definitely enjoy Mission:Faces from afar, though! ;)

Justin
V_Max

Return to Gaming