Twilight Struggle - A Cold War board game

What games are you playing? This can be anywhere from card to video games. And for the online gamers, you might find some company as well.

Twilight Struggle - A Cold War board game

Postby ColtsFan76 on Mon Mar 19, 2007 5:00 pm

I know not many of you here play board games - but I thought this one might interest you. It's called Twilight Struggle and depicts the tensions of the Cold War from the point after WWII.

It is a pretty simple game though it is not too mainstream - so not something you would normally be exposed to - even in most "game" stores.

The concept is pretty simple. Two players are pitted against each other - 1 the USA the other the USSR. You play a series of cards from the same deck that allow you to try to gain control of countries in the world. You can also alter the influence by spending the point value of the card or rolling the die in order to perform coups.

Why I thought I would bring this game up is because I love it. And even though it is a "designer" game more than a mass market type of game (like Risk), it is pretty easy to grasp. My girlfriend picked it up easily enough and loves it.

But more so than that, the game is very thematic. You have the tension of a cold war struggle with limited wars reflected around the globe. You have the tension of not reducing the world to nuclear annihilation and can compete in the space race. The cards themselves are based on the actual events of the 40-odd years of the struggle with communism. Being a fan of the Joes in the 80's and american history in general, I thought it would be of interest to other's that wen through the same period.

Anyway, if you are interested, you can check it out here: http://boardgamegeek.com/game/12333 or at the official site: http://www.gmtgames.com/nnts/main.html
James 1:19-20 (NIV)
My dear brothers, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry, for man's anger does not bring about the righteous life that God desires.

<><
ColtsFan76
aka G.I. Bri

Postby chad_ghost on Mon Mar 19, 2007 8:48 pm

I feel so lazy. I never get around to anything, much less board and card games.

I really would love to have some online games we could play.
chad_ghost

Chad & Matthew's Custom GI Joe Figures
"We cannot live the Christian life, only strive to. Only one man did, and they named it after Him."
chad_ghost
Administrator

Return to Gaming