New to Customs, any advice and where to start?

All customs, whether it's Joes, Starwars, Marvel Legends, or Trading Cards, everything is welcome.

Also feel free to share customizing tips, asks questions, or share ideas.

New to Customs, any advice and where to start?

Postby destros_elite on Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:02 pm

I am thinking about getting into customs if for nothing else to try and stiffen up and refinish some of the figures in my collection. So I have a few questions:

1) How (if you can) do you replace knee joints and elbow joints? Both to stiffen them up and creat a custom look?

2) What kind of paint and brushes do you use? Also, how do you keep from painting "outside of the lines"?

3) Where I can buy some O-rings?

4) I know that I can use YoJoe.com as a reference, but I was thinking about buying the Ultimate Guide to G.I. Joe. Do any of you know if this is a worth while investment? And if so, does anyone have a used one they would like to sell?

5) WHERE TO BEGIN!

Any advice is welcome! Thanks guys!
TheDoctor: "Restricted access, no unauthorized personnel." Hmmm... [opens lock with sonic screwdriver]
Amy: That's breaking and entering!
TheDoctor: What did I break? Sonicing and entering,totally different[/u]
DoctorWho-The Hungry Earth
destros_elite

Re: New to Customs, any advice and where to start?

Postby DarkWynter on Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:03 pm

I am thinking your talking about ARAH style? New sculpt and 25th differ in contruction quite a bit so the answers would be different for those styles. Repairing ARAH back up to mint like status is an art form all to itself.

As for your questions:

1--You can both replace and tighten knees and elbows. I myself have just had to tighten a few, so will only advise you there. For the elbows, I have CAREFULLY tightened the rivet by pinching them with a spacer in between plyers. If you squeeze to hard or have cracked elbows to start with it can break the elbows if you are not exact. For the knees, just shim the knee pin with some plactic from a ziplock bag. If the knee pin is broke you will have to replace the pin. I have only needed to do this a few times so, I'm thinking others can advice you and link you to a much better tutorial on this.

2--The smallest I can find, and I use toothpicks for very small aps that brushes can't get. I would invest in a decent starter set from a hobby store, preferably ones used on miniatures. You get good by practice. A steady hand helps bunches if you already posses one, it will help. I can get pretty shaky if I have not eaten in a while, but thats just me :(. I still can't compare to a lot of customizing legends here, but I have seen improvement with time and practice.

3--I got mine off E-bay a while back. I only paid a few bucks for a few hundred and still have a lot. I'm sure a few customizer sites sell them as well. Also some hardware stores carry them, just make sure you get the right size.

4--I have one. I like it the best of all the guides I have. I mainly use mine for the vehicles to determine the pieces I need for completion. It also helped out a bunch in not paying to much for figures. I found the pricing guidelines invaluable. However you need to understand time and re-releases have made some of them a bit off now. As for selling mine, I often think I don't need it anymore, but know I would regret it as soon as I sold it :/.

5--Cheap figures that you can afford to experiment with. You sound like you are looking getting mainly into restoration. I would procure a small bag of customizing parts for cheap. Don't worry about if you like the figures or not. Then you can practice without the pressure of nailing it the first try. Once you feel comfortable with touching up scuffmarks, replacing rivets, tranfering logo's, ect. then you can move on to your personal collection.

I hope this was helpfull.
DarkWynter

Postby RevSears on Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:17 am

joecustoms.com 's forums has some amazing guides and a general how to section. good luck and share often.
http://nerd4thelord.wordpress.com/ A blog about Nerd topics from a Christian perspective.
RevSears

Postby Matthew on Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:18 pm

One of my favorite quotes

Quantity breeds quantity

If you have spare parts (cheap CORPs are a good way to start), just start trying stuff.

I am a big time spray painter. Krylon Camo paints are my favs, but spraying dullcoat over glossy spray also yields a good result.

As for your questions:

1) How (if you can) do you replace knee joints and elbow joints? Both to stiffen them up and creat a custom look?

too stiffen them, you can put a piece of clear tape over the hole, then insert the thigh. I'll need more info on the custom look thing.

2) What kind of paint and brushes do you use? Also, how do you keep from painting "outside of the lines"?

Don't have specific brushes, but I do try to buy better quality ones from Art supply stores. I have two brushes I love. I'd suggest buying a variety pack to see what brush you are most comfortable with. I use cheap acrylics like Apple Barrel, Folk Art, Delta Ceramcoat, etc. Also, spray paints.

Paint pens aren't terrible, and actually a good way to get started.

3) Where I can buy some O-rings?

haven't bought any in so long, I'm not really sure.

4) I know that I can use YoJoe.com as a reference, but I was thinking about buying the Ultimate Guide to G.I. Joe. Do any of you know if this is a worth while investment? And if so, does anyone have a used one they would like to sell?
I think I own one, but I have no idea where it is. Between yojoe.com and thejoeindex.com, I'm pretty good to go.

5) WHERE TO BEGIN!

Put a figure together and then start a WIP topic on here and we can advise you as you go.
Matthew
The Mayor

Postby chad_ghost on Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:42 pm

Matthew wrote:One of my favorite quotes
Quantity breeds quantity

What?!

doh! "Quantity breeds Quality"
chad_ghost

Chad & Matthew's Custom GI Joe Figures
"We cannot live the Christian life, only strive to. Only one man did, and they named it after Him."
chad_ghost
Administrator

Return to Customs & Dios