Spytroops Mayor - better late than never

All customs, whether it's Joes, Starwars, Marvel Legends, or Trading Cards, everything is welcome.

Also feel free to share customizing tips, asks questions, or share ideas.

Spytroops Mayor - better late than never

Postby Matthew on Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:03 am

Where to begin on this figure. I think I may have started this figure as early as 2002. Chad and I had planned on doing the original 13 in new sculpt form. Since the inception of the 25th anniversary line, our new sculpt original 13 have been scrapped. Because of that, I had this torso left over. I had planned on using it for Mayor anyway, so even if it is about 6 years late, here is Spytroops Mayor

Mayor: Spytroops

The goggles were carved out of a Chap Mei. The feet were cut off of a BBi figure. The torso was definitely the most work. After removing most of the detail off of the Beachhead torso, I sculpted on the straps, then added a CORPS! grenade, pouches from a Remco figures webgear, and a knife cut off a Chap Mei figure.

And, because he is Spytroops, he wouldn't be complete without Spytroops gear

Now that he is out of the way, I can try to finish my versions of 25th and Resolute Mayor.

Hope you like it. Let me know what you think.
Matthew
The Mayor

Re: Spytroops Mayor - better late than never

Postby destros_elite on Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:58 am

Nice work man! Just out of curiousity...you mentioned that you sculpted on the straps. How do you do that?
TheDoctor: "Restricted access, no unauthorized personnel." Hmmm... [opens lock with sonic screwdriver]
Amy: That's breaking and entering!
TheDoctor: What did I break? Sonicing and entering,totally different[/u]
DoctorWho-The Hungry Earth
destros_elite

Postby Matthew on Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:28 pm

destros_elite wrote:Nice work man! Just out of curiousity...you mentioned that you sculpted on the straps. How do you do that?

I use a two part sculpting putty called Magic Sculp

I bought some around 7 years ago and still haven't used it all.

What I did was mix up some putty, then crudely formed it onto the torso. I left the top part of the shoulder straps from Beachhead. Then I used a razor bladed to thin them down. After the clay hardened, I sanded the straps down until they looked right. Wasn't too bad to do. Kinda can't believe this is the only time I've done this. I should do it more :D
Matthew
The Mayor

Postby RevSears on Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:05 am

Good job here. I don't think i've ever asked, why the name mayor?
http://nerd4thelord.wordpress.com/ A blog about Nerd topics from a Christian perspective.
RevSears

Postby Matthew on Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:37 am

RevSears wrote:Good job here. I don't think i've ever asked, why the name mayor?

Great question, short story. While working one summer, an obscure 80s rock song came on and I knew it. I said "Toot! Toot! Train boarding loserville, population 1." That's how loserville was formed. I'm the Mayor of loserville, Chad's the county commissioner, and our friend Jonathan is the sanitation director cause he has to put up with our crap :D
Matthew
The Mayor

Postby DarkWynter on Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:34 am

The cammo is flawless. It's nice to see a little newsculpt love. :)
DarkWynter

Return to Customs & Dios