It's done....Cobra Gunship

All customs, whether it's Joes, Starwars, Marvel Legends, or Trading Cards, everything is welcome.

Also feel free to share customizing tips, asks questions, or share ideas.

It's done....Cobra Gunship

Postby Darko on Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:43 pm

UPDATE: Scroll down for finished pics!

I'm only posting these a few places, since I don't usually do WIP pics. But I'm terrified that I'm going to screw this thing up at every major step, so I want proof that, at least at some point, it didn't look awful.

I'm trying to make the RoC Gunship. Hopefully that will be evident from the pics. As of now, it is 99% structurally complete (just needs the weaponry attached and the side hatch...if ANYONE has a SW Imperial Shuttle side hatch, please, please help. I'll trade very, very well for one), now it's just seam hiding and detail painting.

Scroll through all pictures...they go from earliest to most recent (taken just today). One of the last ones has my modified Pit in it, for a sense of scale.

I know it's not exact to the movie version, but I'm hoping it's at least a step above the Hasbro release.
Last edited by Darko on Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
I support the separation of Church and Hate.
Darko

Re: Big giant custom WIP

Postby RevSears on Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:45 pm

looks amazing so far! Can't help with the shuttle door though :(

can't wait to see the finished product
http://nerd4thelord.wordpress.com/ A blog about Nerd topics from a Christian perspective.
RevSears

Postby RevSears on Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:54 pm

I had to go on yojoe to double check. I Like what you did with the Pit int he background. Mobile bases aren't my thing but the using the ROCC cab helps it quite a bit.
http://nerd4thelord.wordpress.com/ A blog about Nerd topics from a Christian perspective.
RevSears

Postby destros_elite on Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:58 pm

Nice work! Please post pics of your finished product!
TheDoctor: "Restricted access, no unauthorized personnel." Hmmm... [opens lock with sonic screwdriver]
Amy: That's breaking and entering!
TheDoctor: What did I break? Sonicing and entering,totally different[/u]
DoctorWho-The Hungry Earth
destros_elite

Postby chad_ghost on Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:39 pm

Definitely is working. My first thought was RoC Gunship. I love the direction you are going, and I cannot wait to see updates.
Thanks for posting!!
chad_ghost

Chad & Matthew's Custom GI Joe Figures
"We cannot live the Christian life, only strive to. Only one man did, and they named it after Him."
chad_ghost
Administrator

Re: It's done....Cobra Gunship

Postby Darko on Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:21 am

This thing has been quite a few months in the making, most of that spent tracking parts down. I LOVED the way the Gunship (it's referred to as the Razor in the pre-production materials, so I went with it) looked in RoC. The toy, while not bad on its own, was a horrible attempt at recreating it. Hopefully, I've done a bit better. I know it's not 100% accurate, but it was as close as I could get (I have zero scratch building skills, so I had to attempt a kitbash instead).

There is, of course, one problem with mine...THE GIANT FREAKING HOLE IN THE SIDE OF IT. Apparently, the Imperial Shuttle hatch (which I need to complete it) is a very hard to find part. If anyone can help me with one (any version, yellowed, broken, whatever), I'll trade very well.

Enough yapping, here are the pics.

And the parts list...I'll try to do my best to describe what part made what:

Main body: SW Imperial Shuttle
Cockpit: Aliens EVAC fighter w/ sides of a DTC HISS tank
Wings: Aliens EVAC Fighter
Wing tips: Fins from a ROC Night Raven
Engines: RoC Night Raven
Tail: S6 Dragonhawk
Cannons: RoC Night Raven

I have WIP pics, too, if anyone is interested.
Darko

Postby RevSears on Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:28 pm

Simply amazing. Wish Hasbro had given us this over a the Pit. With that parts list, that is some fat cash for a custom, but it's outstanding work.
Hope you can find a shuttle door.
RevSears

Postby destros_elite on Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:10 pm

You knocked it out of the park! Well done!
TheDoctor: "Restricted access, no unauthorized personnel." Hmmm... [opens lock with sonic screwdriver]
Amy: That's breaking and entering!
TheDoctor: What did I break? Sonicing and entering,totally different[/u]
DoctorWho-The Hungry Earth
destros_elite

Postby Darko on Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:33 pm

RevSears wrote:Simply amazing. Wish Hasbro had given us this over a the Pit. With that parts list, that is some fat cash for a custom, but it's outstanding work.
Hope you can find a shuttle door.

It actually wasn't too bad cost-wise, mainly because I had most of the parts on hand. The big part, the Imperial Shuttle, was a completely dead shell (yellowed, cracked, you name it) I'd picked up about 13 years ago (seriously) at a flea market for $5. I came really close to throwing it out tons of times, but it always got a last minute, "Oh, it's got to be good for SOMETHING" reprieve. The Dragonhawk came in a big box of stuff I bought off of Beav from Joecustoms when he was moving, the Night Raven was a spare I'd picked up for $18, and the DTC HISS parts I'd already sliced up making another custom. Really, the most difficult to find part was the Aliens EVAC fighter.
Darko

Return to Customs & Dios