Sigma 6 Codename: Mac (MacGyver meets GI Joe) Finished!

All customs, whether it's Joes, Starwars, Marvel Legends, or Trading Cards, everything is welcome.

Also feel free to share customizing tips, asks questions, or share ideas.

Sigma 6 Codename: Mac (MacGyver meets GI Joe) Finished!

Postby MacGyver on Fri Mar 30, 2007 7:42 am

So I have this obsession with MacGyver...and this obsession with GI Joe...and they collided one day...producing my spoof file card for a Joe based on MacGyver. :D I've been working on his figure...

Spirit's face needed some major work. Had to trim down the hawk nose and probably sanded the chin down by almost half! So Mac doesn't look so skeletal I filled in the cheeks a little and then had to add the face lines. At first I used an Xacto, but then experimented with melting...lol...yeah, I heated the end of the dental tool on my electric stove burner and melted the lines in. I was happy with the results. You might see them better in the painted version. Also sanded off the high arched brows and added my own thicker, lower ones...Mac never got close to tweezers apparently...lol. Also had to sculpt some hair.

Not quite done because I'm thinking about darkening the skin a bit. I spent almost an afternoon mixing all the colors from scratch and they're not right on but as close as I was going to get without being obsessive. Next to the rest of the figs, he looks a little ghostly, though.

Lemme know what you think! I'm also working on modifying TRat's butterfly knife into the famous Swiss Army Knife, or some semblence thereof. I'm not painting the body (except the fingers) because it's gonna be mostly covered anyway.
Last edited by MacGyver on Sun Apr 01, 2007 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
His mind is the ultimate weapon...

Knowing is half the battle!

It's all fun and games until someone loses an eternity.
MacGyver

Postby Matthew on Fri Mar 30, 2007 8:26 am

i like it. what kinda of sculpting material do you use?
Matthew
The Mayor

Postby MacGyver on Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:15 am

Thanks Matthew. I'm using PC-Marine epoxy putty. It seems to give me enough working time, isn't overly sticky, shapes and holds detail nicely and smooths great with water. Even once it started hardening I could go back and still smooth to some extent. After it cured, it sanded nicely without too much pressure and it feathers into the figure really well before it cures and with sanding after. Also took paint super!

MacGyver

Postby MacGyver on Fri Mar 30, 2007 4:43 pm

After some feedback on JBL, I decided to forgo the one color look on the hair and give Mac his famous highlights. I think I managed to keep the cartoony look, too. Lemme know what you think!

MacGyver

Postby RevSears on Fri Mar 30, 2007 11:31 pm

very excellent, we need to introduce you to jfak with his shrinking and casting head biz.

how about a 3 3/4 version?
RevSears

All done!

Postby MacGyver on Sun Apr 01, 2007 8:30 am

I'm finished! The only thing I'm not happy with is the finish on the head...was supposed to be matte...so much for can labels! :/

The Swiss Army Knife (SAK...for all you non-fanatics out there) was made from TRat's butterfly knife. I cut off the extra handle and did some filling in to make it more SAK-like. :)

Yes, that is real Duct tape. (Am I a Mac-geek or what?) I cut a rotary tool sanding tube thing in half and cut the tape to size and wound it around the tube. It's flattened because Macgyver always carries it in his pocket. :D

My favorite pic. The "rope" is just some tan yarn that happened to be in the kitchen when I took the pictures.

The matches were made from flat toothpicks. MacGyver always had loose waterproof matches floating around in his pockets. ;)

Lemme know what you think!!!
Last edited by MacGyver on Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MacGyver

Postby ColtsFan76 on Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:20 pm

These are great!!! As I was scrolling down and saw the SAK, I was going to say "Yeah, but where's the duct tape!" After a little more scrolling - there it was!!!! lol great job!
James 1:19-20 (NIV)
My dear brothers, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry, for man's anger does not bring about the righteous life that God desires.

<><
ColtsFan76
aka G.I. Bri

Postby Matthew on Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:53 am

looks great. love the SAK and the duct tape. the last picture isn't showing up for me though.
Matthew
The Mayor

Postby MacGyver on Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:20 pm

Thanks guys...and thanks for letting me know about that last pic...I fixed the link so it should show up now! ;)

MacGyver

Return to Customs & Dios