IDW's G.I. Joe #1 Comes Out Wednesday, January 14th!

There is so much going on in the comic world that really anything can be discussed here. From DC to Marvel, from figures to movies, comics are everywhere with much to talk about.

IDW's G.I. Joe #1 Comes Out Wednesday, January 14th!

Postby destros_elite on Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:20 am

The wait is almost over! The first issue of IDW's G.I. Joe run comes out Wednesday. From all of the previews I've seen and read this series sounds great. Robert Atkins artwork is top notch and together with Dixon's storyline makes an awesome series. Don't forget to pick up you copy Wednesday at you LCS. Also, Graham Cracker Comics is selling Variant Covers of issue 1 autographed by Atkins. So if you are interested, go over to their website and order one.
TheDoctor: "Restricted access, no unauthorized personnel." Hmmm... [opens lock with sonic screwdriver]
Amy: That's breaking and entering!
TheDoctor: What did I break? Sonicing and entering,totally different[/u]
DoctorWho-The Hungry Earth
destros_elite

Re: IDW's G.I. Joe #1 Comes Out Wednesday, January 14th!

Postby destros_elite on Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:35 pm

Today's the day! Unfortuately for me, I am going to have to wait until Friday to pick it up at my LCS :cry: . If anyone gets it before then, would you mind placing a review of it here for the rest of us?
Yo Joe!
TheDoctor: "Restricted access, no unauthorized personnel." Hmmm... [opens lock with sonic screwdriver]
destros_elite

Postby chad_ghost on Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:13 pm

I'm not sure when it will be for me, but tomorrow we will be interviewing the editor of IDW. Should be a great insight to some of the new stuff ;)
chad_ghost

Chad & Matthew's Custom GI Joe Figures
"We cannot live the Christian life, only strive to. Only one man did, and they named it after Him."
chad_ghost
Administrator

Postby destros_elite on Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:43 pm

chad_ghost wrote:I'm not sure when it will be for me, but tomorrow we will be interviewing the editor of IDW. Should be a great insight to some of the new stuff ;)

Awesome as usual, Guys! You all did a great job with the Robert Atkins interview so I can't wait for this one! When can we expect to see episode up?
destros_elite

Postby destros_elite on Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:01 am

What an awesome wife I have! I was expecting to not be able to pick up Issue 1 until Friday, when my wife comes home from Walmart with groceries and one extra bag...that's right...she picked up a copy of Issue 1 for me! :D
So if you don't like Spoilers...don't read on...

For a first issue it carries itself well, which can be expected from a book that doesn't have to introduce characters as most other first issues do. There are a lot of changes as expected...it's a reboot after all. First of all, Scarlett is in charge, behind Hawk. The Pit is a HUGE cavernous underground city (pretty cool). In the two-page layout of the Pit, you see all kinds of vehicles like the Havok, Skyhawk, AWE Striker, etc. (REALLY cool of Robert to put some of those in there). Oh, and Dial-Tone is a girl. Beachhead evidently suffers from amnesia or something to that nature.
As far as the story goes, it is perfect for a first issue. Now I'm not going to spoil much of it because their are few true surprises in life and I don't want someone who doesn't want to know to accidently stumble upon what happens. If you haven't read the six page preview in Issue 0, I'd suggest you do that first simply because the story begins there. If leaves you wondering about things (which makes you want to see what happens next in Issue 2...Well done, Dixon!). One thing that I really liked was that in one part the Joe's had to check out a sunken tanker and the team that went to check it out was Shipwreck, Deep Six, and Torpedo. FINALLY! This is the way it should be. No more Snow Job, Shipwreck, and Frostbite on desert missions. It makes sense to utilize the various Joes on missions based upon their specialties, skills, and training. So I'd give Chuck Dixon an "A" on the story. He revealed enough to make you want more and get you interested without trying to put too much in one single issue.
As for the artwork...what can you say about Robert Atkins? You can tell that he truely cares about the product he is drawing for. "A+" for Robert. Both Dixon and Atkins realize that they are not just working on any old title, but one that is treasured by countless people who literally grew up on this title whether it be the comics, toys, cartoon, etc.
Now begins the long wait until February when Issue 2 comes out along with G.I. Joe Origins, written by THE MAN...Larry Hama! 8)
destros_elite

Return to Comics