Anyone following IDW's new Joe run?

There is so much going on in the comic world that really anything can be discussed here. From DC to Marvel, from figures to movies, comics are everywhere with much to talk about.

Anyone following IDW's new Joe run?

Postby destros_elite on Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:03 am

Is anyone else following IDW's new Joe run? I've picked up issues 0 & 1 (I'll be picking up issue 2 on Monday). I love talking G.I. Joe comics and, well, it can be a little lonely in over here in the "Comics" section of the board. :cry:
TheDoctor: "Restricted access, no unauthorized personnel." Hmmm... [opens lock with sonic screwdriver]
Amy: That's breaking and entering!
TheDoctor: What did I break? Sonicing and entering,totally different[/u]
DoctorWho-The Hungry Earth
destros_elite

Re: Anyone following IDW's new Joe run?

Postby Matthew on Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:38 am

Can't say that I am.
Matthew
The Mayor

Postby destros_elite on Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:08 pm

I just read issue two yesterday. It is getting better and better. I am really enjoying it and would recommend it.
TheDoctor: "Restricted access, no unauthorized personnel." Hmmm... [opens lock with sonic screwdriver]
destros_elite

Postby chad_ghost on Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:07 pm

I'm going to pick these up eventually, but I like to wait and get a couple at a time.
chad_ghost

Chad & Matthew's Custom GI Joe Figures
"We cannot live the Christian life, only strive to. Only one man did, and they named it after Him."
chad_ghost
Administrator

Postby destros_elite on Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:23 pm

I understand. I usually still pick up the trade even after I have the individual issues because the story flows so much better when it can all be read at one time. For example, I wasn't too big on the World War III run to close out the AE series. But when I got the trade and read it all the way through, it was better (not great, but much better).
destros_elite

Postby RevSears on Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:30 am

I've honestly found it abysmal. It relies way too heavy on sci-fi, the word "dude" and characters really seem out of whack. Where is flint? Why is scarlet above Duke? Why is Heavy block the weird amalgam that he is? Why is se, awol? Why couldn't that have been firewall instead of making a new character? Hasbro still has a heavy and damaging hand. I really didn't like joe Casey on Joe but other that and a some of blaylocks work i liked what the did spades better than this, especially the price tag, ouch!

It also seems strange that Origins has a villian completly new considering all Larry had to chose from. It also doesn't seem like the origin of Joe so far, just Duke and Scarlet as Hawk and Stalker were already operating.

I do have hopes for Cobra declassified though, and I have enjoyed the art greatly.
http://nerd4thelord.wordpress.com/ A blog about Nerd topics from a Christian perspective.
RevSears

Postby destros_elite on Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:48 am

Rev,
I do have to agree with you about the sci-fi element. A little is okay, but this does seem to have quite a bit. The Marvel run is still the mark to aim for, granted they are only two issues in, but I enjoy it. The character re-arrangement will take some getting used to, though.
Now, the Cobra title coming out, from what I've seen in previews and the preview from G.I. Joe Issue 0, it looks GOOD!
destros_elite

Postby Matthew on Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:38 am

Why is Heavy block the weird amalgam that he is?

IDW wanted Roadblock, but Hasbro wanted Heavy Duty. So he will be Heavy Duty in name only.
Matthew
The Mayor

Postby RevSears on Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:05 am

Matthew wrote:
Why is Heavy block the weird amalgam that he is?

IDW wanted Roadblock, but Hasbro wanted Heavy Duty. So he will be Heavy Duty in name only.

Yeah it's completely hasbros fault but it's still bad. They also limit there characters, won't let them have background camos, and opted from crankcase over clutch. That's why i say fanfiction is the way to go, hasbro does not want to please their base here. In toons and movies i can almost understand, but in comics it's pure idiocy.

I would really hate to be in idws shoes because i'm not so sure some of the other aspects i don't like have their roots in hasbro. They did essentially ruin the WWIII by preventing one shots to print and controlling the ending. (Might pay ddp back for runing Jerwa's ending with forced redshadows)
http://nerd4thelord.wordpress.com/ A blog about Nerd topics from a Christian perspective.
RevSears

Postby destros_elite on Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:51 pm

[quote="RevSears]They did essentially ruin the WWIII by preventing one shots to print and controlling the ending. (Might pay ddp back for runing Jerwa's ending with forced redshadows)[/quote]
I'm with you! Jerwa's storyline was AWESOME! The Red Shadows ending blew it though! I still think that Lady Jaye was just a sheep to the slaughter to make the Red Shadows appear more menacing. Of course they used this into the America's Elite run by making Flint a headcase and that theme played throughout the run (ruining Flint's character in my opinion).

Also, guys, I can't begin to to tell you how excited it makes me to have some comic talk here on the forum! :D
destros_elite

Postby destros_elite on Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:54 pm

By the way...does anyone know the release date for G.I. Joe: New Beginnings #3? I would think it would be soon. Also, I know G.I. Joe: Cobra comes out this month. If you haven't checked this one out, pick up a G.I. Joe #0 for $0.99 at you LCS and check it out. This one has REAL potential!
destros_elite

Postby RevSears on Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:02 am

destros_elite wrote:[

Why was LJ targeted by both CC (via blackout) and then red shadows? then again why was flint targeted by the Red shadows?
It seems to flash pan for me all together. It had real potential. But Jerwa otherwise had crafted a really masterful story with the death angel virus etc. He even made me like the small standard team, something Ae didn't in till WWIII. Mainly because he understood that even if there was a small team on duty there had to be other Joes around. He also gave a good reason for the cutback, a screw up and some shifty generals waiting to pounce. he setup the stalls storyline so well and yet it never got played out really :( The only thing i could really critique Jerwa on was what he was originally heading to. Granted it would have been reigned in but his initial plan for CC and the red shadows was a bit much for me. I also would have preferred Rey as a super-trooper type rather than Serpy III

Flint also was characterized completely differently by Jerwa and Casey in his reaction to LJ's death. If Flint had just been left out of AE and was on his own, i would be completely okay with it. But dragging him back as puniflint was awful.

I agree it is good to have some dicussion in this section! the more talk on Army4one in general the better for me.
RevSears

Postby destros_elite on Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:58 am

RevSears wrote:I also would have preferred Rey as a super-trooper type rather than Serpy III

Yeah, It didn't work for me either. Although, I must admit, I'm a Serpentor fan, unlike a lot of other Joe Fans. I think this comes from being at just the right age when the cartoon came out, making me a HUGE fan of anything the cartoon pumped out.

RevSears wrote:Flint also was characterized completely differently by Jerwa and Casey in his reaction to LJ's death. If Flint had just been left out of AE and was on his own, i would be completely okay with it. But dragging him back as puniflint was awful.

Taking Flint out of the picture for while after LJ's death would have been much better. Say Flint quite the team to grieve, but then down the road in a tough spot, who comes to the rescue? It's a bird! It's a plane! Nope, it's a healthy Flint coming to save the day in honor of his lost love!
destros_elite

Postby lobo on Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:30 pm

I've never seen it for sale, or anything past maybe the first DD issue... Even at the comic shop...
Look! An old man pulling a box of junk...
lobo

Postby destros_elite on Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:35 pm

lobo wrote:I've never seen it for sale, or anything past maybe the first DD issue... Even at the comic shop...

I'm sure that your LCS could order the title for you if you asked them. I'm going to my LCS this afternoon to pick up issue 3. If they have any issue #0's left (Issue #0 was a six page preview of all three of the new G.I. Joe titles), I'll grab one for you and send it to you. PM me your address.
destros_elite

Next

Return to Comics