Digital comics, the future?

There is so much going on in the comic world that really anything can be discussed here. From DC to Marvel, from figures to movies, comics are everywhere with much to talk about.

Digital comics, the future?

Postby RevSears on Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:03 pm

if so then why are the big guns so slow to move in that direction?
http://nerd4thelord.wordpress.com/ A blog about Nerd topics from a Christian perspective.
RevSears

Re: Digital comics, the future?

Postby Matthew on Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:06 am

RevSears wrote:if so then why are the big guns so slow to move in that direction?

Don't know. Piracy would become rampant at that point. It would be a lot easier to digitally capture and redistribute illegally.
Matthew
The Mayor

Postby RevSears on Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:39 am

When got our wedding photos done the photographer had a website that showed us our pics, but we couldn't copy them, couldn't a simliar tech be used w/ a login etc. for the comic companies?
http://nerd4thelord.wordpress.com/ A blog about Nerd topics from a Christian perspective.
RevSears

Postby Matthew on Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:01 pm

RevSears wrote:When got our wedding photos done the photographer had a website that showed us our pics, but we couldn't copy them, couldn't a simliar tech be used w/ a login etc. for the comic companies?

Could you not do a screen grab?
Matthew
The Mayor

Postby destros_elite on Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:43 pm

Piracy would be a HUGE issue. The comic industry is having a tough enough time as it is, but I really think they would lose even more sales if it went to strictly digital. I for one still love the feel of a single issue comic in my hands(though I still buy the trade later to re-read).
Last edited by destros_elite on Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheDoctor: "Restricted access, no unauthorized personnel." Hmmm... [opens lock with sonic screwdriver]
Amy: That's breaking and entering!
TheDoctor: What did I break? Sonicing and entering,totally different[/u]
DoctorWho-The Hungry Earth
destros_elite

Postby destros_elite on Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:51 am

Speaking of digital comics...does anyone know how to save a scan in cbr. format? I'm going to be scanning a bunch of my comics and saving them to DVD, but I need to save them in cbr. format in order to read them.
TheDoctor: "Restricted access, no unauthorized personnel." Hmmm... [opens lock with sonic screwdriver]
destros_elite

Postby Matthew on Sat Jul 04, 2009 11:11 am

Here is a good article
http://www.serjtech.com/support/index.p ... rticleid=8

When using a PC, make sure that file extensions are shown. Then make either a .zip file or a .rar file out of the folder with all the images. Then simply rename the file and change the extension to .cbz for zip files or .cbr for rar files.
Matthew
The Mayor

Postby camper on Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:43 am

Comics are held up by the secondary collectors market. Without a comic to take to shows or have signed or increase in value or get slabbed by CGC, the comic companies will lose the ability to sell "limited run of 1000 issues" hype and free marketing.

Personaly, digital comics will be the future for the little guys, but if anything the big dogs in the industry will have a different digital comic to hopefully push the paper issues.

THe comic industry never recovered from its heyday back in the early 90's, when it was running 500k per issue for 50k fans. Factor in the cost of paper going up in addition to them using much better quality paper, 'superstar' artists & writers, and you've got comics that retail at close to $5.00 per issue for almost half length as they used to be. That's insane.

They're quickly reaching a point where comics are not a cheap form of entertainment, whereas digital is and the houses that can't compete with the big dogs will get a chance to get a fanbase so they CAN move to paper and get $5.00 per issue....maybe.

If anything, lookup "watcmen motion comic" for where I *personally* see it going instead, and a monthly subscription charge to view the embedded movies online at the publisher's website.

camper
camper

Postby RevSears on Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:07 pm

good posts all now that i have an xbox thought i'd some newer thoughts.

Pc gaming is mostly pirated, kinda hard to do on an xbox.

I think that could be the wave of the future for comics: consoles. Downloads that can only be downloaded and read on one type of machine. From what i Understand it's easier to swap between machines on the ps3 but xbox that isn't the case. imagine a marvel "live" where you can download 1 issue at a time per price.

That might even elliminate the "need" to put out a book if there is no story to tell.

Smaller companies will probably break into this first. I'm really rooting than Joe and Tfs try it if Hasbro will gamble it.
RevSears

Postby chad_ghost on Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:24 am

RevSears wrote:good posts all now that i have an xbox thought i'd some newer thoughts.

Pc gaming is mostly pirated, kinda hard to do on an xbox.

I think that could be the wave of the future for comics: consoles. Downloads that can only be downloaded and read on one type of machine. From what i Understand it's easier to swap between machines on the ps3 but xbox that isn't the case. imagine a marvel "live" where you can download 1 issue at a time per price.

That might even elliminate the "need" to put out a book if there is no story to tell.

Smaller companies will probably break into this first. I'm really rooting than Joe and Tfs try it if Hasbro will gamble it.

I believe gamble is the word here. I just don't ever see this catching on. To me, it really takes away what comic BOOKS are. I like the tangibleness of it all :)
chad_ghost

Chad & Matthew's Custom GI Joe Figures
"We cannot live the Christian life, only strive to. Only one man did, and they named it after Him."
chad_ghost
Administrator

Postby destros_elite on Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:36 pm

I agree with you, Chad. There is just something about holding a single issue in my hand and flipping through the pages that brings me back to that "kid-like" feeling. That is why I even prefer single issues to trades. I have a lot of comics in .cbr format, but it isn't the same. I know a lot of people disagree with me, but I even prefer the feel of the "old" comics made with newspaper print rather than the high gloss paper we have today. I know the color wouldn't be what it is without it, but come on, it's a comic book! :D And I would bet using newspaper paper (that sounds weird, but you know what I mean :lol: ) would make the comics less expensive (which I think a lot of us would be in favor of!).
destros_elite

Postby RevSears on Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:41 am

actually i saw an article that said that sense it has fallen in use, news paper would now be more expensive!
RevSears

Postby destros_elite on Tue May 29, 2012 4:13 pm

Well, I received a Nook Color from my wife for Christmas and have now been able to view many of the digital comics scans that I have (G.I. Joe, Transformers, X-Men, Amazing Spider-man, etc.). It is very convienient as I can carry thousands of comics with me in this little device. It is great to be able to read those old(er) Spider-Man and X-men comics that are too expensive to purchase. However, I am still collecting most of the 80s Uncanny X-men issues, 80s Amazing Spider-man issues, Marvel G.I. Joe issues, and Marvel Transformers issues as I prefer to hold the actual issue than using my Nook. I just like the newspaper print feel. Do I have to have a newer magazine print issue? Nope. The Nook does just fine for me with that. For example: I have Avengers: Disassembled, X-Men: Messiah Complex, Civil War, etc. on my Nook and have no desire to own those individual issues.
So for me, there are pros and cons, but more pros than cons. :D
destros_elite

Postby Matthew on Wed May 30, 2012 9:18 am

Chad is the same way. Does a lot of comic reading on his Nook.
Matthew
The Mayor

Postby RevSears on Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:32 pm

for awhile it appeared that print was headed to tpbs, I am wondering if have digital comics come into their own if shorter attention spans will drive the length of stories down and see a return to a focus on singles?
RevSears

Next

Return to Comics