IDW's G.I. Joe's First Arc Has Ended...Anyone else read it?

There is so much going on in the comic world that really anything can be discussed here. From DC to Marvel, from figures to movies, comics are everywhere with much to talk about.

IDW's G.I. Joe's First Arc Has Ended...Anyone else read it?

Postby destros_elite on Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:29 pm

Well, I picked up G.I. Joe: New Beginnings Issue 6 yesterday as well as G.I. Joe: Cobra Issue 4. Issue 6 ended the first arc for that series and Cobra Issue 4 ended that series. Has anyone else read these?
If you haven't picked up G.I. Joe: New Beginnings yet, the trade containing the first six issues as well as the six-page story from G.I. Joe Issue 0, has been released for $19.99. This makes it cheaper than buying all six issues and Issue 0 ($25 vs. $20 for the TPB). The trade of Cobra won't be released until September.
Of the two series, I would HIGHLY recommend Cobra. New Beginnings is okay and from what I've read, things REALLY start to take off with the next arc, but Cobra is a well written story!
TheDoctor: "Restricted access, no unauthorized personnel." Hmmm... [opens lock with sonic screwdriver]
Amy: That's breaking and entering!
TheDoctor: What did I break? Sonicing and entering,totally different[/u]
DoctorWho-The Hungry Earth
destros_elite

Re: IDW's G.I. Joe's First Arc Has Ended...Anyone else read it?

Postby Matthew on Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:05 pm

Nope. Haven't read it. Probably won't, mainly cause I just don't read comics. I'm lazy like that :D
Matthew
The Mayor

Postby chad_ghost on Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:06 pm

I need to go get mine from the store :)
chad_ghost

Chad & Matthew's Custom GI Joe Figures
"We cannot live the Christian life, only strive to. Only one man did, and they named it after Him."
chad_ghost
Administrator

Postby Zanyboy on Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:03 pm

I gave the series two issues before dropping it.

The primary factor here was the cost. I did however feel that John Byrne's "Angel: Blood and Trenches" (also $3.99) was worth every penny. Great stuff.
Zanyboy

Postby chad_ghost on Sun Aug 02, 2009 12:25 pm

Well, I know have 23 comics to read (which includes the movie stuff). Should take a while :)
chad_ghost

"We cannot live the Christian life, only strive to. Only one man did, and they named it after Him."
chad_ghost
Administrator

Postby destros_elite on Sun Aug 02, 2009 12:53 pm

I picked up the movie & prequel trades the other day. I have to say (without spoiling) that they are pretty good. Definitely made me feel better about the movie, but I had already made up my mind that I would enjoy the movie. :D The prequel though does little to impact the movie. Just a few random back stories of the characters.
TheDoctor: "Restricted access, no unauthorized personnel." Hmmm... [opens lock with sonic screwdriver]
destros_elite

Postby destros_elite on Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:55 pm

Well, I've followed all the titles so far and would have to rate them as follows:

1) G.I. Joe: Origins
2) G.I. Joe: Cobra (since ended and G.I. Joe: Cobra II begins in January)
3) G.I. Joe (Main Title)

I can't rate G.I. Joe: Snake-Eyes (from the 'Movie Universe' if you will) because I've only read the first issue so far (my subs including issue 2 don't ship until the 25th)

They have all been entertaining but the main title is running too slow in my opinion. Now I agree with setting up a story and this is a new continuity, but you can have too much set up and cause people to lose interest. We haven't even seen Cobra Commander yet! Although because of that I'm sure many people are hanging on to see when it will happen...

G.I. Joe: Origins is GREAT! If you haven't checked it out you really need to. The writing is superb and drawing top notch. The pacing is great and the introduction of Mainframe as a key character is awesome!

G.I. Joe: Cobra was excellent! It was dark. But that is how I always thought Cobra should be. The writing is great although I'm not a huge fan of the art, especially the covers. Once again the use of seldom used characters like Jinx and Chuckles is a nice change.

All in all, I'm enjoying the new comics and it is actually nice to have multiple G.I. Joe titles coming out each month (though my wallet doesn't appreciate it :D ).
destros_elite

Postby chad_ghost on Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:07 pm

They are ok reads so far but sometimes I get lost into what stories are in what books. IMO, IDW is putting out too many titles.
chad_ghost

chad_ghost
Administrator

Postby Professor on Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:34 pm

I feel the same way about to many titles. I just don't have enough free time to be reading everything, but I guess that's what summers for. What I would like to see is IDW consolidating all their energy into one superb G.I. Joe comic with Larry Hama being like Gene Roddenberry was to Star Trek.
It doesn't matter whether you are a lion or a gazelle in africa: when the sun comes up you'd better be running.
Professor

Return to Comics