Where's your local comic shop (lcs)?

There is so much going on in the comic world that really anything can be discussed here. From DC to Marvel, from figures to movies, comics are everywhere with much to talk about.

Where's your local comic shop (lcs)?

Postby destros_elite on Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:21 pm

If you are reading this thread then I assume you are a comic book fan. That being said, what is your local comic shop?

Mine is a video game store in Claypool Hill, VA called G2K Games. In addition to games they carry a wide variety of comics and a huge selection of back issues (recent back issues) prices at $1.00 each. They also have a huge assortment of Trade Paperbacks. It's is fun place to hang out in!

So...where's yours? :D
TheDoctor: "Restricted access, no unauthorized personnel." Hmmm... [opens lock with sonic screwdriver]
Amy: That's breaking and entering!
TheDoctor: What did I break? Sonicing and entering,totally different[/u]
DoctorWho-The Hungry Earth
destros_elite

Re: Where's your local comic shop (lcs)?

Postby chad_ghost on Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:23 pm

Atomik Comiks in Johnson City. Shawn has a pull list for me so I don't have to go in every month. Just picked up 20 Joe comics this past weekend :)
chad_ghost

Chad & Matthew's Custom GI Joe Figures
"We cannot live the Christian life, only strive to. Only one man did, and they named it after Him."
chad_ghost
Administrator

Postby RevSears on Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:06 pm

Sadly my comic book shop closed last year. It was Called Britians Books and Teacher supply. It had tons of comics, when it started used books, but that faded out, and all kinds of crafts and school supplies. Sadly they went belly up after years in bussiness. My and the owner where on first name basis and talked away to each other, as i had been a customer for years. I feel like i not only miss the comics, but i miss a friend! There was a time or two i remember being unsure about picking up an issue, and then thinking, ah heck C.E. needs the money.
http://nerd4thelord.wordpress.com/ A blog about Nerd topics from a Christian perspective.
RevSears

Postby destros_elite on Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:28 pm

chad_ghost wrote:Atomik Comiks in Johnson City. Shawn has a pull list for me so I don't have to go in every month. Just picked up 20 Joe comics this past weekend :)

Chad,
Where in Johnson City is that located? My friend and I head to Johnson City a couple times a year when we have a day off (Columbus Day, Veterans Day normally). We have been going to Mountain Empire Comics because they have tons of back issues. We heard about Atomik Comiks last time we were down but didn't know where it was. Do they have a large selection of back issues as well a current issues?
TheDoctor: "Restricted access, no unauthorized personnel." Hmmm... [opens lock with sonic screwdriver]
destros_elite

Postby eldurand on Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:42 pm

Mine is Dr. No's in Atlanta. Excellent selection of comics, as well as tons of board, role-playing and wargames.

Only drawback is that we are about 45 minutes away on the other side of town, so it is a bit of a drive.

Henry
eldurand

Postby destros_elite on Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:02 pm

eldurand wrote:Mine is Dr. No's in Atlanta. Excellent selection of comics, as well as tons of board, role-playing and wargames.

Only drawback is that we are about 45 minutes away on the other side of town, so it is a bit of a drive.

Henry

That is a bit of a trip especially if someone is not following a lot of titles per month. Sound like an awesome comic shop though! :D
destros_elite

Postby Rockpop on Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:28 pm

Mine is Mountain Empire. I've been a customer since he branched off from Bristol store sometime in mid-80s. But now I don't get out there as much as I used to.

I used to go to Atomik Comiks occasionally. Now, I only go about once per year.

I've been itching to start up my own shop for about 15 years now. I've had a business plan and expense model, talked to Diamond distribution several times. Just can't quite go for it. Mostly due to wifey going back to college for several years. She graduated in '07, but still not working full time. We've basically been a one full-time income family for a while. Another problem is location. It's hard for a third shop to open up in this area and stay successful.

I keep dreaming. One of these days.....
Rockpop
aka Solo

Postby destros_elite on Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:52 pm

Solo wrote:Mine is Mountain Empire. I've been a customer since he branched off from Bristol store sometime in mid-80s. But now I don't get out there as much as I used to.

I've been itching to start up my own shop for about 15 years now. I've had a business plan and expense model, talked to Diamond distribution several times. Just can't quite go for it. Mostly due to wifey going back to college for several years. She graduated in '07, but still not working full time. We've basically been a one full-time income family for a while. Another problem is location. It's hard for a third shop to open up in this area and stay successful.

Solo, my buddy and I were just in Johnson City on Monday at Mountain Empire Comics (we go once or twice a year when we have a day off). The Johnson City branch, though a further drive for us, is much better than the Bristol store in my opinion. Sadly Atomik Comics was closed, but that is going to be a pretty sweet paper-mache Hulk in the window when they are finished.
If you ever do start up a shop, I will immediately switch my subs to your shop...I promise you that! :D
destros_elite

Postby RevSears on Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:06 pm

Solo wrote:Mine is Mountain Empire. I've been a customer since he branched off from Bristol store sometime in mid-80s. But now I don't get out there as much as I used to.

At times Solo i've shared your dream. I've also dreamed of writting and have put some effort into trying to break in. Nothing ever really panned out.

With the economy in general and with the way comics are headed, i just wouldn't encourage anyone to stop up a comic shop right now. Maybe I'm a pessimist on that but if you ever did I'd order something from you!
http://nerd4thelord.wordpress.com/ A blog about Nerd topics from a Christian perspective.
RevSears

Postby Rockpop on Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:11 pm

Thanks alot for the support guys! I wish I could help you out with your subs. Boy, how I wish I could help you out :D
I'd even give you better discounts. How's 30% off sound :D

RevSears wrote:With the economy in general and with the way comics are headed, i just wouldn't encourage anyone to stop up a comic shop right now. Maybe I'm a pessimist on that but if you ever did I'd order something from you!

Yeah, economy's been rough for a while. But comics have been doing OK. There's been a lot of shops close, but I'm sure most of those were fans-turned-store owners and didn't position themselves to handle downturns. It's one thing to love what you sell and do for a living, but you have to be savvy at the same time and be prepared financially. Very tricky when the business is comics related :D

As a matter of fact, here is a quick look at some numbers (thanks comichron):
month of November 2009
The Top 300 Comics sold
6.15 million copies
(up 7% vs. same month previous year)
(down 4% vs. same month 5 years earlier)
(down 8% vs. same month 10 years earlier)
Category to date for year
68.57 million copies
(down 7% vs. previous year)

The Top 300 Comics had sales worth
$21.56 million
(up 12% vs. same month previous year)
(up 16% vs. same month 5 years earlier)
(up 23% vs. same month 10 years earlier)
Category to date for year
$235.38 million
(down 1% vs. previous year)

So as you can see, sales are up and down as usual with comics. A lot depends on time of year (holidays) and lately with movie tie-ins. A good shop owner should be able to handle a monthly decrease of as much as 10%, and still be able to provide service. Sometimes easier said than done with us fan-boys :D
Rockpop
aka Solo

Return to Comics