What Comic Titles are you currently following?

There is so much going on in the comic world that really anything can be discussed here. From DC to Marvel, from figures to movies, comics are everywhere with much to talk about.

What Comic Titles are you currently following?

Postby destros_elite on Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:58 pm

What comic titles are you currently following?

I don't follow nearly as many as I used to due to the $3.99 price tag on many of them. I usually wait for tpb now on many titles. But here are my monthly titles:

1) G.I. Joe (IDW)
2) G.I. Joe: Origins (Absolutely awesome story going on there...check it out!)
3) G.I. Joe: Cobra (just wrapped up)
4) Astonishing X-Men (one of the few titles I like that still has the $2.99 price tag)
5) Ultimate Spider-Man (I got into the Ultimate Titles a few months ago...they are excellent!)
6) Ultimate Avengers
7) Ultimate Iron Man: Armor Wars
8) Transformers (A new title by IDW set to start in November)

I keep up with New Avengers via tpb and also now Dark Avengers.
TheDoctor: "Restricted access, no unauthorized personnel." Hmmm... [opens lock with sonic screwdriver]
Amy: That's breaking and entering!
TheDoctor: What did I break? Sonicing and entering,totally different[/u]
DoctorWho-The Hungry Earth
destros_elite

Re: What Comic Titles are you currently following?

Postby RevSears on Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:03 pm

I just can't really keep up with comics anymore they are too expensive! however when the cobra tpb comes out from IDW i plan on getting it (it may be out ? ) I also wouldn't mind getting some spooks books to try out.
http://nerd4thelord.wordpress.com/ A blog about Nerd topics from a Christian perspective.
RevSears

Postby destros_elite on Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:42 am

RevSears wrote:I just can't really keep up with comics anymore they are too expensive! however when the cobra tpb comes out from IDW i plan on getting it (it may be out ? ) I also wouldn't mind getting some spooks books to try out.

I, too, have heard that the Spooks books are pretty good, though I haven't read any yet.
TheDoctor: "Restricted access, no unauthorized personnel." Hmmm... [opens lock with sonic screwdriver]
destros_elite

Postby Matthew on Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:50 am

Nothing :D

Can't wait for the new old marvel GI Joe tpbs!
Matthew
The Mayor

Postby destros_elite on Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:51 pm

Matthew wrote:Nothing :D

Can't wait for the new old marvel GI Joe tpbs!

Classic G.I. Joe Volume 6 hits the shelves November 15th!

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/bookse ... 1600105456
destros_elite

Postby Rockpop on Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:50 pm

Mostly Iron Man, Avengers, Ultimates.

For the last several months I've bought these, but haven't read them yet (as well as Blackest Night). I'm looking forward to the "Siege" event, and how Bendis is going to re-shape the Avengers universe.

My son is a huge fan of the Ultimate Spider-Man run. He fills me in.
Rockpop
aka Solo

Postby destros_elite on Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:04 pm

I, too, am a huge fan of the Ultimate Universe. It is so much easier to follow than the regular Marvel U.
destros_elite

Postby RevSears on Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:34 am

although walking dead got way too gory and graphic for me, I loved it in till issue 29 or so. I've been playing left 4 dead recently and I'll admit I want to read it again.
http://nerd4thelord.wordpress.com/ A blog about Nerd topics from a Christian perspective.
RevSears

Postby destros_elite on Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:47 pm

I cut WAY back on my titles. There are a number of reasons for my cutting back:

1) Of course, $3.99 a pop doesn't help.

1A) It seems like every month they come out with a new G.I. Joe title every month. Currently they have G.I. Joe ($3.99-ka-ching!), Origins ($3.99-ka-ching!), Cobra ($3.99-ka-ching!), Hearts and Minds ($3.99-ka-ching!), Operation: Hiss (the current Movie-verse title for...yup, $3.99-ka-ching!), and now G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero ($3.99-ka-ching!). So if your cash register has been following along that's six-Joe titles for around $24/month! That is a little more than I can afford to dump into comic collecting as a whole, much less for just one title!

2)I am Marvel fan, but they ALWAYS have to have a major, all Marvel Universe effecting event. With the Dark Reign event, they didn't even have a main series to title, so you had to pick up ump-teen titles to get the whole story. TOO PRICEY! (They produced a main title for House of M, Civil War,and Secret Invasion, but for some reason decided not to for Dark Reign, which came right off the heels of Secret Invasion.) I used to pick up Amazing Spider-Man, for an easy to follow story. But then they changed that to three issues per month (or $9 and now $12/month on ONE title!). Then I really enjoyed Marvel's Ultimate Universe, it was simple and fun. Now that is branching out and is too expensive to pick up all the issues. The only title that has been self-contained, inexpensive, and easy to follow has been Astonishing X-men. Marvel is also now streamlining their titles, starting over with issues 1. So I'm hoping the new "Avengers" title will remain self-contained, even though $3.99 and not $2.99 like Astonishing (which I expect to see raised to the dreaded $3.99 at any moment).

3) So many titles nowadays use language and have situations that I don't necessarily think belong in comics. Not to mention scantily dressed super hero ladies. Makes it tough to support titles that have these (unfortunately most titles have these issues).

So, enough of my rant. I now only follow:

-G.I. Joe (IDW's main series)
-G.I.Joe: A Real American Hero (IDW's series beginning in late July that will pick up where Marvel left off with MR. HAMA himself writing)
-Avengers (Marvel's new old series. Once it stops giving me a self-contained story though, I'm out!.)
-Transformers (IDW's ongoing series)
-Astonishing X-Men

So that's $19.00/month and neither me nor my budget are going a penny more! If anything me and my budget will save money by dropping titles that don't meet my standards of storytelling and art. So if you are listening Comic Publishers, start dropping your prices (I can hear them laughing now) and start producing titles that have completely self-contained stories so I don't have to pick up four titles to get the whole story.
destros_elite

Postby RevSears on Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:27 am

for several of the reasons stated above, I'm not reading anything. I have several Tpbs on my want list. I'd like to read spider-man Noir for sure.
RevSears

Return to Comics