What's your favorite comic title (other than G.I. Joe)?

There is so much going on in the comic world that really anything can be discussed here. From DC to Marvel, from figures to movies, comics are everywhere with much to talk about.

What's your favorite comic title (other than G.I. Joe)?

Postby destros_elite on Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:20 pm

What is your favorite comic title that you have ever followed? I know on this board many of us are die-hard Marvel G.I. Joe fans, so let's take that as a given that overall that would be our favorite. So what's your favorite OTHER THAN G.I. JOE?

I know as a kid I was really into Marvel's Transformers from issue 40-54. They were some of the best Transformers stories Bob Budiansky wrote, in my opinion. But probably my favorite title was Masters of the Universe by Image/MVCreations. The collaboration of Val Staples (writing) and Emiliano Santalucia (pencils) was just amazing (others contributed as well, but these were the main ones). The run only lasted for about 27 issues, but it was spectacular! I would encourage any He-Man fan to give them a read. Also, check out the He-Man and the Masters of the Universe cartoon series released from 2002-2004 by Mike Young Productions (it aired on Cartoon Network). You can pick up the entire 39 episode run on DVD for around $13.00. A great price for a very entertaining show!
TheDoctor: "Restricted access, no unauthorized personnel." Hmmm... [opens lock with sonic screwdriver]
Amy: That's breaking and entering!
TheDoctor: What did I break? Sonicing and entering,totally different[/u]
DoctorWho-The Hungry Earth
destros_elite

Re: What's your favorite comic title (other than G.I. Joe)?

Postby RevSears on Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:25 am

Mmmm... I was a huge avengers fan back in the day. So maybe that. I had some scattered old issues but starting after Heroes reborn I had like 60 straight issues. I know it was all of Kurt Busiek's run and the next couple of guys weren't as good. I also really loved Thor around the same era.

If we aren't talking series, watchmen is an easy win. Loved that !

But either the above, maybe walking dead, but i have reservations about recommending it others and even dropped it off because it was too violent and the author was the writer of Battle Pope. (wiki if that if you want to be offended)
http://nerd4thelord.wordpress.com/ A blog about Nerd topics from a Christian perspective.
RevSears

Postby destros_elite on Mon May 16, 2011 9:09 pm

Currently, my favorite title is Ultimate Spider-Man. This is a fun series. BUT, if I could include G.I. Joe, then my favorite would have to be G.I.Joe: Cobra. EXCELLENT title and one you should read if you are a Hamaverse loyalist or have embraced the IDWverse.
TheDoctor: "Restricted access, no unauthorized personnel." Hmmm... [opens lock with sonic screwdriver]
destros_elite

Postby chad_ghost on Tue May 17, 2011 11:25 am

I really liked Amazing Spider-man back in the day, though I guess now it was mainly for the artwork. I realized later that I mostly collected comics and didn't read them :(
chad_ghost

Chad & Matthew's Custom GI Joe Figures
"We cannot live the Christian life, only strive to. Only one man did, and they named it after Him."
chad_ghost
Administrator

Postby destros_elite on Wed May 18, 2011 9:48 pm

chad_ghost wrote:I really liked Amazing Spider-man back in the day, though I guess now it was mainly for the artwork. I realized later that I mostly collected comics and didn't read them :(

Aside from the stinking $3.99 price tag, I, too, realized I was collecting some titles just for the sake of collecting and not reading them. So I dropped those titles and focused in a just a select few titles. I'm still a sucker for certain incentive covers (Feister, Atkins, and McNiven can seriously nail covers and make them worth the extra cash), but they really have to blow me away. I can seriously see myself getting out of comics altogether eventually (probably sooner than later) but for now, I'll still enjoy my twenty-two pages of being a twelve year-old again. :D
destros_elite

Postby chad_ghost on Thu May 19, 2011 10:12 am

I finally made it back to my comic shop this past weekend (over 9 months). I had around thirty books; all Joe. Needless to say, I have a lot of catching up to do :)
chad_ghost

Chad & Matthew's Custom GI Joe Figures
"We cannot live the Christian life, only strive to. Only one man did, and they named it after Him."
chad_ghost
Administrator

Postby RevSears on Mon May 23, 2011 2:30 am

I remember once calling a guy who watched comic movies, and never read comics a poser, and arguing about the death of comics, but truth is, i've now become that guy. I never read, and while i have a large list of tpbs on my amazon want list, i never buy. I did watch the motion comic for astonishing x-men recently, and that brought back some found memories. Some of the marvel motion comics are now on streaming so i'll probably catch some of those for old times sake.
http://nerd4thelord.wordpress.com/ A blog about Nerd topics from a Christian perspective.
RevSears

Return to Comics