New Batwoman is a lesbian

There is so much going on in the comic world that really anything can be discussed here. From DC to Marvel, from figures to movies, comics are everywhere with much to talk about.

New Batwoman is a lesbian

Postby Sidewinder on Mon May 29, 2006 11:38 am

http://www.newsarama.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72016

DC Comics has released some information about the new Batwoman that is going to be running around the DC Universe in the coming months.

I like the costume in the picture they provided. I like how they incorporated the red into the costume. Makes it look different from Batgirl's yellow.

From a Christian perspective, I'm not pleased that DC has decided to make her a lesbian. To make it even worse, DC is using this as a way to market the book. Just look at how many times the words "lesbian" and "gay" appear in the Newsarama article. Of course, I suppose I'm falling into their marketing ploy, here I am posting on a message board spreading news about their upcoming character. :?
Sidewinder

Postby CreepingDeath on Mon May 29, 2006 12:20 pm

Actually, you are pointing out news that will cause anyone of Christian belief to avoid it's purchase and support. Thanks.

Now DC comics is on my contact list of homosexual sponsors and supporters. They will hear from me, and ultimately may lose my financial support, just like Ford Motor Company has, with their support of homosexual marriage and advertising space purchased in "gay" magazines.
CreepingDeath

Postby RevSears on Fri Jun 02, 2006 1:59 pm

I don't buy dc anyways! honestly i can't say that if people dresssed up in customs and fought crime, one wouldn't be a lesbian, but why another bat person? It's just a sales ploy and a poor idea. If i was gay i would be offended, read what you know about her? she is gay! most people have more than one aspect of their personality.
RevSears

Postby Darko on Sat Jun 03, 2006 4:23 am

CreepingDeath wrote:Actually, you are pointing out news that will cause anyone of Christian belief to avoid it's purchase and support. Thanks.

Now DC comics is on my contact list of homosexual sponsors and supporters. They will hear from me, and ultimately may lose my financial support, just like Ford Motor Company has, with their support of homosexual marriage and advertising space purchased in "gay" magazines.

Wait, is that necessary? Keep in mind, DC has featured thieves, murderers, terrorists and even a few rapists as characters. Did that stop you from buying the comics? Did you declare them "pro-murder/terrorism/rape"? It's a character in a story. Sometimes characters exhibit traits that are offensive to the personal tastes of some people. If you personally don't wish to buy the comics, then that's obviously your right, but let's not going blowing this out of proportion. Not every character needs to be a shining idol of virtue, even heroes. Batman? Wolverine? Spawn? Catwoman? Deadpool?
I support the separation of Church and Hate.
Darko

Postby Skyfire on Sat Jun 03, 2006 7:22 am

With only a handful of exceptions, I pretty much quit buying American comics during the late 1990s. Marvel and DC have been so dominant that many of the smaller publishing houses are getting squeezed out, and yet both Marvel and DC have gotten so caught up in their own little pet issues that they've forgotten about the fans.

Plus, it's also cheaper to get manga. With manga, I can get a book that collects six issues' worth for $10-$15; six issues of the average American comic would run me $18.
"Whatever I do, you don't!"

Bon Scott (July 9, 1946 - February 19, 1980) to the much younger Angus Young (both of AC/DC), as remembered by Young.
Skyfire

Postby CreepingDeath on Sat Jun 03, 2006 2:28 pm

Darko wrote:If you personally don't wish to buy the comics, then that's obviously your right, but let's not going blowing this out of proportion. Not every character needs to be a shining idol of virtue, even heroes. Batman? Wolverine? Spawn? Catwoman? Deadpool?

I certainly can only speak for myself. The rub with me, besides the abomination of it all, is the motive and timing of it.

Across the country, battles are being fought pertaining to homosexual rights as it pertains to secular benefits and even marriage. There are those that oppose homosexuality, and there are those that sympathize with it.

To take a long time DC character, and make her gay is to fall into the sympathizers lot. It is more about being progressive and "modern day liberal", than it is story line. It just did not need to happen, from a Christian perspective. I wonder what God's opinion would be, progressive and cool, or sinful?
CreepingDeath

Postby Skyfire on Sat Jun 03, 2006 4:55 pm

Question-

Is anyone actually being forced into buying this?

If they're pushing her as a homosexual, then it means they're hoping that doing so will get more readers.

How does that affect you?

Don't buy it. Ask others not to buy it. Ask your local comic book shop not to carry the title.* Write a letter to DC telling them that you are disappointed and that you might consider dropping their titles all together.

If enough people do this, then there's a chance that DC might kill the title.

*Some comic shops may not have a choice in which titles they get. If they go through a distribution firm, then they're stuck with whatever that firm gives them.

Bon Scott (July 9, 1946 - February 19, 1980) to the much younger Angus Young (both of AC/DC), as remembered by Young.
Skyfire

Postby camper on Sun Jun 04, 2006 10:58 am

I think Darko's point is, if this one issue of batwoman is going to inspire a boycott, then where were you with the depiction of hero's with god-like power, excessive violence, bad langugae, and a whole host of other less than biblical actions taking place. If you're going to not be outraged and call for boycotts of something like, say the Killing Joke, or Crisis on Infinite Earths, and all the other more mature themed comics (remember Lobo or Vigilante?) then it seems almost silly to get worked up over this.

If it offends you, by all means it's your right to not buy it and discourage others to do the same. I think it's needless and trying to profit on a political issue myself, and I wouldn't let my kids buy it. But to say Christians must react to this one particular issue and boycott DC over it is a wee bit hypocritcal - especially when the 'call to mobilize' hasn't been sent on other more devestating and important moral issues (lets say...pre-marital or teen sex in their comics?).

dan
camper

Postby camper on Sun Jun 04, 2006 11:02 am

And Skyfire....I hadn't heard of any comic book shop ever having to "take what's given" from a distributor. If a comic shop is carrying something, it's because they CHOOSE to, no matter what they might try and say.

There are very few 'chain' comic stores that operate like the larger superstores and have a distribution center....and even those have a bit of say in what product is shipped to them.

And gay characters don't mean anything anyway. Didn't they do this years ago with like Alpha Flight or something?

dan
camper

Postby Skyfire on Sun Jun 04, 2006 4:01 pm

^

All I'm trying to say is that if people don't like it, then they need to quit complaining and actually do something about it.

Skyfire

Postby camper on Mon Jun 05, 2006 4:30 am

Skyfire wrote:^

All I'm trying to say is that if people don't like it, then they need to quit complaining and actually do something about it.

I think that's a well understood course of action by everyone involved. However, just to be clear my response to you had nothing to do with that...I was just filling you in on the way comic distribution takes place under normal circumstances.

If there was a comic shop who left it up to a distributor to give them what the distributor wanted, you'd have shops filled with stuff that a real comic shop wouldn't touch. The distrubutor might not have the book available to them, but that is a far cry from what you said. Believe it or not, most stores use multiple distributors.

My whole point, is that if you've got a buddy who ends up carrying the new Batwoman comic and then tells you "I only get what they send me" he's full of it. If any store is carrying the new comic, they placed an order for that comic, plain and simple.

And that knowledge would help those who do wish to boycott said product, and it would have a larger affect then boycotting DC. Besides, if you really wanted to make an impact you'd have to go to DC's parent company which is Time Warner, and boycott all of thier revenue generators as well.

A store who didn't make a choice or have a say in what they purchased would last as long as a sheet of toilet paper in a tsunami.

dan
camper

Postby Sidewinder on Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:19 pm

Hmmm, I seem to have missed the "new reply" email for this thread. :shifty:

Funny story happened to me related to this two weekends ago. I was on a date and we went to an out of the way Target to look for a birthday gift for her sister. So while in the store, I did what any normal toy-collecting man would do...I went to the toy aisle.

So I'm walking around and I'm glancing at the Justice League figures and there was a Batman figure on the front of the peg. My date said "Hey, did you hear about the new Batwoman? She's going to be a lesbian." I looked at her and said "Yeah, where did you hear about it?" She said "I read it in one of my magazines this week, but I first heard it on either Fox News or CNN."

This is a girl who has never read a comic in her life...but she knows that the new Batwoman is a lesbian. :roll: Marketing at its best.
Sidewinder

Postby camper on Wed Jun 14, 2006 6:03 am

sidewinder wrote:She said "I read it in one of my magazines this week, but I first heard it on either Fox News or CNN."

This is a girl who has never read a comic in her life...but she knows that the new Batwoman is a lesbian. :roll: Marketing at its best.

She heard it on CNN. DC is owned by Time Warner, as is CNN. So, whenever something market dependant or profitable is going on under the Time Warner umbrella, CNN reports on it.

dan
camper

Postby Zanyboy on Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:56 pm

A year and a half after the announcement was first made and she still hasn't recieved her own title.

I had actually forgotten about it untill I came across this thread.
Zanyboy

Re: New Batwoman is a lesbian

Postby chad_ghost on Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:32 pm

This was mentioned today at church as a new announcement. Funny how the idea didn't take off 2 1/2 years ago, yet they are trying to push it again.
chad_ghost

Chad & Matthew's Custom GI Joe Figures
"We cannot live the Christian life, only strive to. Only one man did, and they named it after Him."
chad_ghost
Administrator

Next

Return to Comics