Christian Comics

There is so much going on in the comic world that really anything can be discussed here. From DC to Marvel, from figures to movies, comics are everywhere with much to talk about.

Christian Comics

Postby andrwfields on Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:41 pm

I got this from Prodigal Son Magazine (http://www.prodigalsonmagazine.com)

[quote]Comic books are not for kids anymore. They haven’t been for a while now.

In 1978, Will Eisner, a living legend of sequential art, wrote and drew his seminal work A Contract with God. This work not only gave birth to a new format of comic storytelling, the ‘graphic novel,’ it stood as the dawning light of a new era in comic books, an era when beloved characters were redefined, when flawed heroes became the norm and when comic creators stretched and redefined the medium. In short, in the 1980’s comic books grew up.

As the medium developed, so its readership changed. Instead of 8-12 year olds reading Archie, 18-40 year olds read titles like, Hellblazer, The Walking Dead and even The Texas Chainsaw Massacre. Though the heroes of yesteryear are still around, a quick flip through the latest issue of Spider-Man or Superman reveals what was once ‘G-rated’ is now at least a ‘PG-13.’

But more than just risqué pictures and increased violence are being portrayed in comic books these days. Comic books are now addressing deeper issues including religion, sex, social justice and politics. These themes reach an increasingly older audience. Add a good helping of Japanese influence through the comic sub-genre, ‘Manga,’ and the comic book market that once read Bugs Bunny now reads the likes of CSI.

With the medium now capable of communicating deeper content its no surprise (and even a blessing) that Christian writers and artists have begun creating comic books that convey the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

In October of 2007, Circle Media Publications will publish three graphic novels based on Ted Dekker’s best-selling series, The Circle Trilogy. Each novel will be 144 pages of full-color comic book story-telling scripted by Dekker and drawn by professional artists. Though only a 32 page teaser is available now, it looks to be as adrenaline-laced as the books.

The story is classic Dekker from start to finish. Fast paced action, sci-fi twists, and spiritual truths are wound tightly together to form a redemptive, but not preachy, story.
‘Good art’ is the other half of a great comic book and The Circle Trilogy leaves nothing to be desired.

Independently published newcomer Dust Press released Dust, a bi-monthly series, featuring biblical stories set tastefully in the comic book medium. Created by Mark Carpenter and drawn by Alan Close, Dust combines the authentic design and story-telling of a mainstream comic book with the depth and accuracy essential to sharing scripture.

Dust is a 25-page, full-color comic book in the traditional size and format. The biblical text is included in each issue with discussion questions and commentary written by a variety of scholars. Commentary for the first issue was provided by Kent Dobson. The second issue, The Blessed Curse is due this August.

Baker Book House in Grand Rapids, MI recently hosted Carpenter and Close for a book signing event.

“We want to further the Kingdom of God.â€
"...An Apology. If you met me between 1987 and 2005 and I told you, "I'll pray for you," that was a lie. Never happened. I probably didn't pray for you. And that's not cool." - Prodigal Jon from StuffChristiansLike.blogspot.com
andrwfields
Constable

Postby Matthew on Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:44 pm

Pretty neat
Matthew
The Mayor

Postby Phil Kost on Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:01 pm

Did any of you guys see the "Messiah Magna" that came out last month?

It is interesting, I can see it used as a pretty good tool.
Any and all GI Joe comics discussed at:
Phil Kost

Postby chad_ghost on Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:13 pm

Phil Kost wrote:Did any of you guys see the "Messiah Magna" that came out last month?

It is interesting, I can see it used as a pretty good tool.

I sure haven't. What is the idea behind it?
chad_ghost

Chad & Matthew's Custom GI Joe Figures
"We cannot live the Christian life, only strive to. Only one man did, and they named it after Him."
chad_ghost
Administrator

Postby Phil Kost on Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:47 pm

chad_ghost wrote:I sure haven't. What is the idea behind it?

It is the story of the Gospels, except in a Manga format.

Here is the link to the company. They have some additional books coming out later.

http://www.mangabible.com/
Any and all GI Joe comics discussed at:
Phil Kost

Postby Matthew on Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:45 pm

very interesting. I don't read comics much cause I'm lazy, but these are kinda neat
Matthew
The Mayor

Postby RevSears on Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:27 am

Wonder if they take submissions? i still haven't got my book off the ground.
RevSears

Return to Comics