Christian music

If you are a hardcore music fan or just looking for something to spice up your stereo, come here and keep us in tune.

Postby the pyromaniac on Fri Jun 09, 2006 1:56 pm

PoetFlint wrote:
the pyromaniac wrote:
PoetFlint wrote:if anybody out there knows of any current christian bands that sound like AC/DC or even rock old school or good Metal (not the hardcore deep scream sound) let me know, It's hard to get into music taht you don't like the style of no matter how good thge messege.

Disciple has a Jackyl meets AC/DC kinda sound. You might also check out their good friends Nailed and Gretchen, all of whom are local bands to the area where I live (southwest Virginia, northeast Tennessee).

noRmus and I are probably the guys to ask about that style of music anyway... :)

Again we cross paths...lol thanks for the heads up, I'll check them out.

...and you might have figured out from my new signature that Alice Cooper is worth a listen now, on 3 of his CD's.

The Last Temptation (1994)
Brutal Planet (2000)
Dragontown (2001)
"A lot of Christians take a part of their life and try to make it their ministry. Plumb is my job, but every conscious second is my ministry."

Tiffany (Arbuckle) Lee
lead singer, Plumb
the pyromaniac

Postby PoetFlint on Sun Jun 25, 2006 10:04 pm

I've always liked Alice Cooper.
been trying to pick up the Last temptation album for awhile on e-bay, but I'm not gonna pay over $10 for it. i'm cheap er...I mean I'm frugal !
PoetFlint

Postby the pyromaniac on Mon Jun 26, 2006 2:59 pm

PoetFlint wrote:I've always liked Alice Cooper.
been trying to pick up the Last temptation album for awhile on e-bay, but I'm not gonna pay over $10 for it. i'm cheap er...I mean I'm frugal !

...If you offer noRmus something Joe-related for a burned copy, I have a sneaking suspicion that cousin of mine might just hook you up! :)
"A lot of Christians take a part of their life and try to make it their ministry. Plumb is my job, but every conscious second is my ministry."

Tiffany (Arbuckle) Lee
lead singer, Plumb
the pyromaniac

Postby the pyromaniac on Sat Jul 22, 2006 10:44 am

I've also recently re-discovered another band that NoRmus and I were all about when we were in college, The Borrowers. They were along the same line as Vigilantes of Love, who we gave mad props to in my first Pyro's pick column from a couple of weeks back. Their self-titled CD from 1997 is highly recommended, and if I could find a copy of it again, I'd buy it and review it.

Tiffany (Arbuckle) Lee
lead singer, Plumb
the pyromaniac

Postby Normus on Sun Jul 23, 2006 2:12 am

Would have to agree they were anouther vastly under rated band. Actually felt the need to bust out that demo cd I have of them not too long ago.
Normus

Postby MacGyver on Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:22 am

Some of my faves are
Skillet
Skillet
and Skillet...

Yeah I really love Skillet.

Kutless
Jars of Clay
Third Day
Jeremy Camp
Matthew West
Sarah Masen
Insyderz (haha...yeah you can laugh)
Bleach

What I've been wearing out lately is...
Skillet's Comatose
Skillet's self-titled
a mix cd one of my best friends put together of all the songs that we've loved through the years, which includes The Waiting's Hands in the Air, one of my all time favorite songs.

I did a review of sorts in myspace on Comatose if you wanna check it out through my profile...or I can just post it here somewhere if you want. :)

Oh man...just this weekend we had a coffeehouse at our church and had this AWESOME band! They're called Almost Lost and they're the youth worship band for a church in Williamsburg, PA. Here's their myspace: http://www.myspace.com/almostlost1. Believe me, the clips don't do them justice! Super great time of worship and just general rockin out! ;)

They actually have a couple of myspaces...here's another with some of their other songs http://www.myspace.com/almostlost2
His mind is the ultimate weapon...

Knowing is half the battle!

It's all fun and games until someone loses an eternity.
MacGyver

Re: Christian music

Postby Huxford's Hiatus on Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:02 am

Hmmm... I'm not real big into music in general. Love good music, I just don't make an effort to listen, unless I'm in the car. My exposure to Christian music is mainly from the late 80s and early 90s, as I worked in a Christian book and music store in high school. 8O

- John Michael Talbot - Anything by him. Highly recommended.
- Larry Norman - old school rocker and oiginal Jesus Freak.
- Amy Grant - Never grow tired of her older stuff. I'd say her best albums (I mean, cds :oops: ) were Amy Grant (self titled), Father's Eyes, Age to Age, and Straight Ahead.
- Skillet - I've got one of their cds and it's really cool.

Other than that, I listen to AM talk radio mostly.
Huxford's Hiatus

Postby Whiplash on Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:53 pm

I'm going to enjoy this thread. I haven't been into "mainstream" Christian music in several years. Being a song leader at my church, hymns play a big part in my life. Plus, I've never found anything that has excited me like Petra. They have been my favorite Christian rock band for 15 years! I saw a show from their "farewell" tour in Columbus in 2005. My iPod has almost everyone of their songs!

Other favorites:

Carman (mostly music from Revival in the Land, Addicted to Jesus, and The Standard).
Whitecross
Bride
Halo (they only had two albums in the early 90s. The second one: Heaven Calling is FANTASTIC!)
Mercy Me (I sing a couple of their songs at my church)
Ray Boltz
Newsboys
Whiplash

Postby MacLeaper on Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:46 am

I love most any and every style of music (except for country- I tolerate a little bit of it- mainly Southern Gospel)

A few top bands- I love hymns and Christmas carols too!
Relient K
Steven Curtis Chapman
Michael W. Smith
Carman
Amy Grant
Five Iron Frenzy
Insyderz
Supertones
DC Talk
Audio Adrenaline
Geoff Moore & The Distance
Petra
Stryper
Whiteheart
Newsboys
Emery
Hawk Nelson
Skillet
Stellar Kart
Sanctus Real
Run Kid Run
Michael Card
Larry Norman
Keith Green
Rich Mullins
ApologetiX

tons others.......
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me." - Jesus Christ (John 14:6)

"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver

YO JOE!!!
MacLeaper

Location: mentally off on Pluto sometimes, but physically on Earth (for now!) ;-)

Postby the pyromaniac on Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:14 pm

I'm reviving an old thread because as Christians I believe music is one of our strongest ways to worship God collectively.

Here's what I've been listening to lately. Some is old, some is new, and as always, most of it is stuff you've probably never heard of...

Joy Electric / Christiansongs. In the late 1990's a lot of bands were saying "we're not a Christian band, we're a rock band who happen to be Christians." That always bugged me, and apparently Ronnie Martin of Joy Electric. He decided his next album would leave no doubt where he stood.

Joy Electric / The Otherly Opus. More electropop goodness.

Sarah Jahn / Sparkle. Coffee shop chick rock

Aleixa / Honeylake. Technoindustrial with layers of female voices

Brian Head Welch / Save Me From Myself. Metal! Hooray for metal!

Blindside / About a Burning Fire. Melodic Euro-hardcore

Tiffany (Arbuckle) Lee
lead singer, Plumb
the pyromaniac

Postby chad_ghost on Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:39 pm

Mine is always on shuffle, but lately the bands that I ALWAYS listen to are:

- Thousand Foot Krutch
- Underoath
- Haste the Day
- Demon Hunter

Not sure the albums, but I'm really digging these right now.
chad_ghost

Chad & Matthew's Custom GI Joe Figures
"We cannot live the Christian life, only strive to. Only one man did, and they named it after Him."
chad_ghost
Administrator

Postby destros_elite on Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:21 am

Rich Mullins
Sanctus Real
HIllsong United
Kutless
Third Day
2011 VBS Album (my wife is the VBS co-director...)
TheDoctor: "Restricted access, no unauthorized personnel." Hmmm... [opens lock with sonic screwdriver]
Amy: That's breaking and entering!
TheDoctor: What did I break? Sonicing and entering,totally different[/u]
DoctorWho-The Hungry Earth
destros_elite

Postby the pyromaniac on Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:44 pm

chad_ghost wrote:Mine is always on shuffle, but lately the bands that I ALWAYS listen to are:

- Thousand Foot Krutch
- Underoath
- Haste the Day
- Demon Hunter

Not sure the albums, but I'm really digging these right now.

Those are all favorites of mine......

Tiffany (Arbuckle) Lee
lead singer, Plumb
the pyromaniac

Postby lobo on Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:28 pm

Look! An old man pulling a box of junk...
lobo

Previous

Return to Music