What's everybody listening to? 7/5/06

If you are a hardcore music fan or just looking for something to spice up your stereo, come here and keep us in tune.

What's everybody listening to? 7/5/06

Postby the pyromaniac on Wed Jul 05, 2006 4:37 pm

Currently in my CD player in the car is The Walter Eugenes "Beautiful". It's a rare and obscure one from 1995. I really don't know how to describe their sound if you're not familiar with it... They're what I'd call the quintessential jam band with elements of grunge, alternative, and funk. Think Rush meets Pearl Jam, mixed with about 50 other artists I just can't place. Y'all know how addicted I am to heavy music, yet this is what I'd call medium intensity, about like DC Talk or heavier Audio Adrenaline, and it's so original I've been trying to figure out who they sound like since 1996.
"A lot of Christians take a part of their life and try to make it their ministry. Plumb is my job, but every conscious second is my ministry."

Tiffany (Arbuckle) Lee
lead singer, Plumb
the pyromaniac

Postby Matthew on Thu Jul 06, 2006 7:40 am

well, not sure what's in my CD player right now. I'm a radio man.

At work I've pandora.com'n lately with bands like Symphony X and The Fully On.

Also been hitting a radio station on iTunes called Progged Radio (Progressive, Melodic, Symphonic, and Epic Rock and Metal) which kicks alot of hiney.
Matthew
The Mayor

Postby Jedi Master Shadow on Thu Jul 06, 2006 12:11 pm

Right now, I have a weird combo on my CD Changer - "Freaked: A Gotee Tribute to dcTalk"and "Under the Covers, Vol. 1" (Matthew Sweet and Susanna Hoffs sing together on 60s cover songs).

Freaked is actually very good. I wasn't sure, but Wal Mart had it for under $10, so I thought it was worth a shot. There are some very good tracks on there - Relient K does a great version of Just Between You And Me, and I love Sarah Kelly's version of What If I Stumble?

I'm a huge Matthew Sweet fan, and Under The Covers is a great CD for pop/rock enthusiasts who want to hear more modern takes on older songs.
Ephesians 6:11 - "Put on the full armor of God, so that you will be able to stand firm against the schemes of the devil."

Jedi Master Shadow

Postby the pyromaniac on Thu Jul 06, 2006 1:01 pm

Jedi Master Shadow wrote:Right now, I have a weird combo on my CD Changer - "Freaked: A Gotee Tribute to dcTalk"and "Under the Covers, Vol. 1" (Matthew Sweet and Susanna Hoffs sing together on 60s cover songs).

Freaked is actually very good. I wasn't sure, but Wal Mart had it for under $10, so I thought it was worth a shot. There are some very good tracks on there - Relient K does a great version of Just Between You And Me, and I love Sarah Kelly's version of What If I Stumble?

I'm a huge Matthew Sweet fan, and Under The Covers is a great CD for pop/rock enthusiasts who want to hear more modern takes on older
songs.

...good stuff... Susanna Hoffs, of course, is the former lead singer of the '80s all-girl band The Bangles. They had a #1 hit with "Walk Like an Egyptian".
"A lot of Christians take a part of their life and try to make it their ministry. Plumb is my job, but every conscious second is my ministry."

Tiffany (Arbuckle) Lee
lead singer, Plumb
the pyromaniac

Postby Jedi Master Shadow on Thu Jul 06, 2006 4:08 pm

the pyromaniac wrote:
...good stuff... Susanna Hoffs, of course, is the former lead singer of the '80s all-girl band The Bangles. They had a #1 hit with "Walk Like an Egyptian".

Yeah, when I first heard that they were pairing up on a CD, I wasn't at all sure about it. I've heard one or two songs from her since she "went solo" but I wasn't too impressed. But in this CD, they actually work well together. I'm hoping the "Vol. 1" implies they'll be back for at least one more album together.

Oh, and if anyone is a fan of either Matthew Sweet, Pete Droge, or Shawn Mullins, I HIGHLY recommend finding a copy of The Thorns. It's a supergroup made up of all three singers, and let me tell you, as much a fan as I am of both Sweet and Droge, it's WAY better than anything they've put out individually.
Ephesians 6:11 - "Put on the full armor of God, so that you will be able to stand firm against the schemes of the devil."

Jedi Master Shadow

Postby PoetFlint on Fri Jul 07, 2006 11:01 am

Love the Bangles
umm as far as what i've been listening to is 2 things
"Back in Bluegrass" a bluegrass tribute to AC/DC
and the sound bites from X-Sinners new CD which should be out this week !!!!
PoetFlint

Return to Music