Pyro's weekly CD review, 7/10/06 Vigilantes, "V.o.L&quo

If you are a hardcore music fan or just looking for something to spice up your stereo, come here and keep us in tune.

Pyro's weekly CD review, 7/10/06 Vigilantes, "V.o.L&quo

Postby the pyromaniac on Mon Jul 10, 2006 4:15 pm

I had a cool idea today related to my "What's everybody listening to" thread from last week. Every Monday, I'm going to try to review a CD just so some of the bands noRmus and I listen to can get some exposure, and maybe God will use some of this stuff to speak to y'all the way it does to us... I might review something that came out when we were in college, or it might be something that came out yesterday, I don't know. I do know it'll be stuff you don't normally hear on Christian radio, not that there's anything wrong with the styles of music you do hear there, it's just not what I do.

This week, it's Vigilantes of Love's greatest hits compilation, titled V.o.L. It came out in 1997, and there were a few new songs, one of which (track #2, "Double Cure") is, in my not-so-humble opinion, the best Christian rock/alternative song released that year. VoL is a college-rock band from Athens, GA, the home of REM and the B-52's. They sound more like REM, but their lead singer is heterosexual and they don't whine about the environment.

"Double Cure" is basically a prayer of repentance with hope for where the singer's relationship with God will go. This one song was the reason I bought the album way back in the day.

VoL is one of those bands who could have really done well in the commercial music market if they'd had the right opportunities and promotion, but I believe if they'd been able to get a major-label deal they probably would have had to dumb down their lyrics to appeal to the masses. Bill Mallonee (lead singer, guitarist, producer, chief songwriter) has always taken a lot of grief for how raw and politically incorrect his lyrics tend to be. The worst example of this was an outcry in the church against one of their later songs, "Love Cocoon", which was a celebration of his sex life with his wife, in the context of a Christian marriage. I guess whoever it was who decided to campaign against the song didn't bother to listen deeply enough to know that he was thanking God for his wife and telling her she was his blessing.

VoL ain't for everybody, but they're one of my favorites when I don't want my ears to hurt... Next week, I have a feeling it'll be something a LOT heavier! :)
Last edited by the pyromaniac on Tue Sep 26, 2006 6:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"A lot of Christians take a part of their life and try to make it their ministry. Plumb is my job, but every conscious second is my ministry."

Tiffany (Arbuckle) Lee
lead singer, Plumb
the pyromaniac

Postby chad_ghost on Mon Jul 10, 2006 10:43 pm

this is a cool idea, pyro. maybe every 3 months or so you could put together a compilation album. hmmm.... i like that idea, i do :)
chad_ghost

Chad & Matthew's Custom GI Joe Figures
"We cannot live the Christian life, only strive to. Only one man did, and they named it after Him."
chad_ghost
Administrator

Postby the pyromaniac on Mon Jul 10, 2006 10:49 pm

I might just have to do that... There's so much great music out there, so many great artists who glorify the Lord with what they do but Christian radio won't touch them, and I think they deserve to be heard. That's what I'm trying to do. :)

I've already decided on next week's pick, and it's a good one...

NoRmus, if you're reading this, it's about death. And life. And rock&roll.
"A lot of Christians take a part of their life and try to make it their ministry. Plumb is my job, but every conscious second is my ministry."

Tiffany (Arbuckle) Lee
lead singer, Plumb
the pyromaniac

Postby Normus on Tue Jul 11, 2006 12:54 am

I would think they are one of the more under rated and better, or at least by my definition, mellow bands out there. Still have to bust out the tape every so often.
Normus

Postby chad_ghost on Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:49 am

pyro, if you decide to do this, i might try to put together something for it, such as an album cover and make this available for the cost of shipping.

that would rock!!
chad_ghost

"We cannot live the Christian life, only strive to. Only one man did, and they named it after Him."
chad_ghost
Administrator

Postby the pyromaniac on Tue Jul 11, 2006 2:58 pm

I'm liking the idea, and thinking I might just hafta do this... The stuff we listen to tends to be so far under the commercial radar nobody gets exposed to it, but it's great music... I've actually already got my next 2 planned, and one of them is a local band! :)

Tiffany (Arbuckle) Lee
lead singer, Plumb
the pyromaniac

Postby the pyromaniac on Tue Sep 26, 2006 6:26 pm

I decided to dust off this first thread of "Pyro's pick" today, after selling a pair of speakers to former Vigilantes of Love drummer Scott Klopfenstein at work today, to put into his truck. My next review will be a demo that was never released to the public that Scott is sending me.

Tiffany (Arbuckle) Lee
lead singer, Plumb
the pyromaniac

Postby chad_ghost on Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:13 pm

the pyromaniac wrote:I decided to dust off this first thread of "Pyro's pick" today, after selling a pair of speakers to former Vigilantes of Love drummer Scott Klopfenstein at work today, to put into his truck. My next review will be a demo that was never released to the public that Scott is sending me.

nice. i cant wait till we hit lucky number 13, then ill be ready to create Pyro's Pick - Vol 1.
chad_ghost

chad_ghost
Administrator

Postby the pyromaniac on Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:58 pm

Have you been tracking down some of this music since I've been doing this?

Tiffany (Arbuckle) Lee
lead singer, Plumb
the pyromaniac

Postby chad_ghost on Wed Sep 27, 2006 8:51 pm

the pyromaniac wrote:Have you been tracking down some of this music since I've been doing this?

i havent had a chance, but i will be looking in to it :)
chad_ghost

chad_ghost
Administrator

Return to Music