Pyro's pick, 7/18/06

If you are a hardcore music fan or just looking for something to spice up your stereo, come here and keep us in tune.

Pyro's pick, 7/18/06

Postby the pyromaniac on Tue Jul 18, 2006 3:00 pm

As I mentioned before, I'm gonna review a CD every week... I can't promise you I'll stick to a musical style, but I can promise it'll be something Christian that you're probably not familiar with unless you're NoRmus.

This week, it's one of my 2 or 3 favorite Christian punk rock albums of all time.

In 2000, a group of guys in their late teens and early 20's from Portland, Oregon signed to Tooth & Nail Records under the name

The Deadlines

They released an album titled The Death & Life Of..., which I've managed to wear out. Twice. I'll hit the highlights of some of my favorite songs now.

"Vegecide" is a fun one... Somebody tried to convert the Deadlines' lead singer, Shaun Coffin, and organist, The Creature, to a vegetarian diet and spouted a bunch of PETA doctrine. They got inspired and wrote what I find is a hilarious song. It's about a guy who has a dream that the vegetables in his garden are chasing him and the lettuce is going to eat him.

"Vampires in Love" uses the metaphor of two vampires who are so caught up in lust for each other (which symbolizes our sinful condition) they don't
notice the sun is coming up (a reference to how we're not promised tomorrow, according to the Bible) and they die.

"Murder Creek Road" is a sad story of a man who marries a psychotic woman and she kills him and he goes to hell since he didn't follow God's plan for his life.

"Horrible Night" is the story of a man who died of a drug overdose, and what he saw in hell. He was an acquaintance of the Deadlines' Shaun Coffin, and Shaun had tried to lead him to Christ several times.

This whole album has the concept of a bad "B" horror movie set to punk rock, and the guys in the band would dress in suits that looked like something you'd be buried in. As HM Magazine said, though, they're about as scary as "Attack of the Killer Tomatoes". Shaun Coffin is a brilliant songwriter, a master at weaving Christian themes with humor and horror movie references. I used to talk online with him occasionally, and he's a really cool guy who loves the Lord and has a passion for his music.

http://www.zambooie.com/toothandnail/ar ... &startat=1
"A lot of Christians take a part of their life and try to make it their ministry. Plumb is my job, but every conscious second is my ministry."

Tiffany (Arbuckle) Lee
lead singer, Plumb
the pyromaniac

Postby chad_ghost on Tue Jul 18, 2006 8:11 pm

sounds pretty interesting, pyro.

while you are compiling this, i think if we go every 13 weeks then we can put a cd together 4 times a year.

the closer we get, the more we can work on it.
chad_ghost

Chad & Matthew's Custom GI Joe Figures
"We cannot live the Christian life, only strive to. Only one man did, and they named it after Him."
chad_ghost
Administrator

Postby the pyromaniac on Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:17 pm

Yeah, so far I think the track list starts off with The Deadlines "Vegecide" and Vigilantes of Love "Double Cure". Next week's pick will actually be a local band for our area, from the faraway and exotic locale of Bristol, TN/VA... :)
"A lot of Christians take a part of their life and try to make it their ministry. Plumb is my job, but every conscious second is my ministry."

Tiffany (Arbuckle) Lee
lead singer, Plumb
the pyromaniac

Return to Music