Pyro's pick, 8/5/06 Alice Cooper's Dragontown

If you are a hardcore music fan or just looking for something to spice up your stereo, come here and keep us in tune.

Pyro's pick, 8/5/06 Alice Cooper's Dragontown

Postby the pyromaniac on Sat Aug 05, 2006 6:30 pm

I'm so swamped it takes me forever to get these things posted, but I've got a special treat for y'all today. We're taking a listen to the sequel to Alice Cooper's Brutal Planet, and he's taking us on a musical tour of

DRAGONTOWN

Dragontown is a metaphorical way for Alice to refer to hell. If you read my link to the article about him a week or two back that explains my signature, you might remember that he feels his ministry is to explain to people that hell is real, satan is real, demons are real, and they're all out to get you.

An interesting note to help you explain this album is that a lot of the songs are about people, most of them old friends of Alice's from back in the '70s, who are now dead and who definitely weren't living for God. I read somewhere that he got inspired for a lot of these songs by people saying stupid crap like "When I die I'm gonna go to rock&roll heaven and party with Jimi Hendrix, Jim Morrison, John Lennon, Janis Joplin, Kurt Cobain, and Elvis Presley." As Alice himself put it in an interview I read when he was promoting this CD, "I knew all of those people, and I assure you, heaven (unfortunately) is NOT where any of them ended up."

The overall sound of the album is a hard, industrial, very robzombieesque rock assault. There's a lot of barre chords, heavy beats, and growled/screamed lyrics. That being said, there's also several tracks that show off something a lot of people don't realize:

Alice Cooper can sing! :)

The title track is inspired by the book Divine Revelation of Hell. Basically, the listener is taken on a tour with a slow but heavy industrial song playing in the background, and we revisit a lot of the characters dealt with in Brutal Planet, after they've gone to hell.

"Sex, Death, & Money" is an interesting one. That used to be Alice's motto when he was still unsaved. The song is a commentary on the state of the entertainment industry and the destructive effects it can have on a man. It's a personal favorite of mine.

"Sister Sarah" is the story of a young nun who became (in)famous back in the late '70s when she seduced a buncha priests. It's a commentary on how women can be susceptible to satan's temptation to try to find love and acceptance by getting physical with hordes of men.

"Disgraceland" is my absolute favorite song on the album. The only other thing I'll tell you is that it's about Elvis. I don't want to ruin the surprise.

"Much Too Late" is NoRmus's favorite from this one. It's from the point of view of John Lennon as he's burning in hell, talking about how he thought his pluralistic view of religion (that every cult, be it buddhism, islam, mormonism, satanism, whatever, is equally valid and that Christianity is outdated and useless) was the best way to go, but at the end of his life he found out the hard way that God thought otherwise.

I've worn out 2 copies of this CD, so you can judge from there how much I like it... Next week's pick will be Gretchen's new one, In the Mean Time.
Last edited by the pyromaniac on Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
"A lot of Christians take a part of their life and try to make it their ministry. Plumb is my job, but every conscious second is my ministry."

Tiffany (Arbuckle) Lee
lead singer, Plumb
the pyromaniac

Postby Normus on Sat Aug 05, 2006 8:12 pm

I would just have to add that Alice Cooper is so far the only artist I've found that has a way of making me feel a little unneurved while making me laugh at the same time.
I also thought it was cool that musically, the song "much too late" was writen to sound like a John Lennon song, well obviously except the lyrics.
Normus

Postby Matthew on Tue Aug 08, 2006 2:11 pm

dang, i don't normally by music, but you're making me want to
Matthew
The Mayor

Postby the pyromaniac on Tue Aug 08, 2006 3:47 pm

Matthew wrote:dang, i don't normally by music, but you're making me want to

As you might have figured out by now, we really have a passion for music, especially artists like Alice Cooper that have a lot of deep stuff to say. :) This week's pick, Gretchen, is another one along the same line. Heavy band, makes your ears bleed, and makes you think when the pain stops... :)
"A lot of Christians take a part of their life and try to make it their ministry. Plumb is my job, but every conscious second is my ministry."

Tiffany (Arbuckle) Lee
lead singer, Plumb
the pyromaniac

Return to Music