Pyro's pick, 8/8/06, Gretchen "In the Mean Time"

If you are a hardcore music fan or just looking for something to spice up your stereo, come here and keep us in tune.

Pyro's pick, 8/8/06, Gretchen "In the Mean Time"

Postby the pyromaniac on Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:22 pm

Tonight, I'm reviewing a new CD by one of my favorite local bands, Gretchen (formerly known as Serenade). When I was just out of college, back in the spring of 2002, I had a chance to hear their second CD (first under the new name) Mouth Full of Nails, and for the last 4 years I've eagerly awaited their next effort.

Back in the spring, I was finally rewarded with In the Mean Time. I've always really liked Gretchen for their sound (think Plumb meets Barlowgirl or Evanescence, but quite a bit heavier), and even more for their willingness to confront tough issues (both in their songs and their personal lives). There were rumors floating around this area a couple of years ago that when the original bassist left the band, he was actually fired for moving in with his girlfriend and replaced with Tom Bettini, the original bassist for the secular redneck metal band Jackyl.

The coolest thing about watching this band get big (I've seen this CD advertised on national TV and I've heard tracks played on XM Satellite Radio) is that they're a local band. They're from Bristol, TN/VA, about an hour and a half from where NoRmus and I live, and half an hour from chad_ghost. Without having a lot of time right now to go into individual songs, I'll just conclude by saying that I haven't enjoyed a metal album like this since Cooper's Dragontown in 2002.
Last edited by the pyromaniac on Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
"A lot of Christians take a part of their life and try to make it their ministry. Plumb is my job, but every conscious second is my ministry."

Tiffany (Arbuckle) Lee
lead singer, Plumb
the pyromaniac

Postby Matthew on Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:31 am

i've heard them once on the radio. i'm not even sure what station (love 89 here in knoxville or 88.3 WCQR(which i highly doubt) in kingsport/johnson city).

i love barlow girl and evanescence, so i need to add this too my ever growing list
Matthew
The Mayor

Postby the pyromaniac on Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:02 am

http://www.gretchenland.com

This CD is so new I doubt NoRmus has even heard it yet... :)
"A lot of Christians take a part of their life and try to make it their ministry. Plumb is my job, but every conscious second is my ministry."

Tiffany (Arbuckle) Lee
lead singer, Plumb
the pyromaniac

Postby Normus on Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:29 pm

Actually I have my own copy and I'm the process of wearing it out.
Normus

Postby the pyromaniac on Thu Aug 10, 2006 2:08 pm

Really? When did that happen, and where did you pick it up (I'm guessing Dad's CD's)?

Tiffany (Arbuckle) Lee
lead singer, Plumb
the pyromaniac

Postby Normus on Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:53 am

Got it off e(vil) bay a couple months ago. Seems like that and the new plumb cd are about all I've been listening to lately.
Normus

Postby the pyromaniac on Fri Aug 11, 2006 7:42 pm

So when are you gonna burn me a copy of the new plumb so I can review it? :)

Tiffany (Arbuckle) Lee
lead singer, Plumb
the pyromaniac

Postby PoetFlint on Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:44 pm

The first Plumb CD and I can't remember which way it was , but either my friend Elle sang on the Plumb CD or the Chick from Plumb sang on Elles CD or maybe it was both. I haven't heard any of there stuff in 5 years or so... maybe i should check it out.
PoetFlint

Postby Normus on Sat Aug 12, 2006 1:07 am

Don't know if I can get to it by this weekend, but I'll try to get to it soon as I can. Though if you want to hang out Sunday I'll at least let you listen to it.

I think It's the best they have sounded since the first cd, though the first song or two start out uncharacteristically happy. It gets dark and heavy soon enough though. Basically I would say anybody into the first disk should pick it up.
Normus

Postby the pyromaniac on Sat Aug 12, 2006 9:54 am

A plumb CD starts out with a couple of happy songs? I'm having a hard time wrapping my mind around that one... Usually Tiffany's lyrics aren't anywhere remotely close to happy. Still, the two best chick-fronted metal/hardcore/alt-rock bands to ever profess Christ Jesus as Savior have got to be Gretchen and plumb, and I highly recommend any CD you can track down from either band, or seeing them trash a stage live.

Flint, plumb had a hit on the pop charts in late 2002/early 2003 with "Real".

"Look at me, I'm 23
So beautiful, a sight to see, tonight...."

"Aren't I lovely, and do you want me?
I am searching, for something that will make me real.
Can you see me, do you love me?
I am desperate for something that will make me real."

I know you've heard that song and probably just didn't know who it was.

Tiffany (Arbuckle) Lee
lead singer, Plumb
the pyromaniac

Postby Normus on Sun Aug 13, 2006 3:02 am

Yeah so imgine how I felt since I had no warning. Guess its more like the first and third song though. Just as dark as their songs tend to be I, get the impression that whoever writes their songs has some serious skeletons in the closet.
Normus

Return to Music