Pyro's pick, 8/19/06, The Swirling Eddies' Zoom Daddy

If you are a hardcore music fan or just looking for something to spice up your stereo, come here and keep us in tune.

Pyro's pick, 8/19/06, The Swirling Eddies' Zoom Daddy

Postby the pyromaniac on Sat Aug 19, 2006 5:58 pm

I believe the Christian music industry takes itself entirely too seriously. We're supposed to have joy, but that doesn't mean that I want my Christian music to be all-happy, post-salvation, everything-is-perfect now that I'm a Christian, top-40, pop garbage. I think you guys probably already figured that out with my reviews of Alice Cooper, the Deadlines, Vigilantes of Love, and Gretchen, but I've got one for you this week that makes all of those guys seem radio-friendly and safe to let the kids in your youth group listen to (and let their parents know they it).

In 1996 I bought a CD of cover songs, all stuff that Christian radio liked but mostly stuff that I think the songwriters should feel embarrassed about. The CD was called Sacred Cows, it was by the Swirling Eddies, and it made me want to hear more stuff by this band who shared my sense of humor and contempt for the sounds I was hearing on the radio. I'm not angry, really, I just prefer artists that actually try to do something relevant instead of just trying to write a feel-good song with no meaning or substance just to make a quick buck.

About a month later I found myself in Richmond, checking out some CD's at a Christian bookstore, and I happened across a copy of the Swirling Eddies' previous effort, Zoom Daddy. I was hooked after track #1 ("I Had a Bad Experience with the CIA and Now I'm Gonna Show You My Feminine Side"), which has a hidden meaning so deep that I'm still not sure exactly what it is... Seriously, though, this is 1960's-influenced hard rock with a sense of humor, and the Eddies occasionally come up with something that really touches a nerve. I love this CD, particularly for "The Twist" (finest song about the Crucifixion ever written in any genre of music), "God Went Bowling", "Art Carney's Dream", and my personal favorite, "Pyro Sets a Wildfire". :D
"A lot of Christians take a part of their life and try to make it their ministry. Plumb is my job, but every conscious second is my ministry."

Tiffany (Arbuckle) Lee
lead singer, Plumb
the pyromaniac

Return to Music