Trying to find some music

If you are a hardcore music fan or just looking for something to spice up your stereo, come here and keep us in tune.

Trying to find some music

Postby andrwfields on Tue Oct 17, 2006 1:30 pm

So, here in the last few months I've grown tired with the Christian music that I'd been listening to. One can only listen to so much K-Love before they start to want something new.

What I'm looking for is something with an Indie feel to it. I love the new sound of Jars of Clay, and I'd like to find more stuff like that. There are many non-Christian bands that I'm listening to that I'd like to find a similar sound to like OK Go.

Any suggestions?
"...An Apology. If you met me between 1987 and 2005 and I told you, "I'll pray for you," that was a lie. Never happened. I probably didn't pray for you. And that's not cool." - Prodigal Jon from StuffChristiansLike.blogspot.com
andrwfields
Constable

Postby Matthew on Tue Oct 17, 2006 1:40 pm

no suggestions off hand, but a good place to start is http://www.pandora.com

It's been mentioned here before and it is awesome. I'd totally recommend it. You can type in the artist you want similar music to, and wallah, it's there. hope that helps.
Matthew
The Mayor

Re: Trying to find some music

Postby the pyromaniac on Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:29 am

andrwfields wrote:So, here in the last few months I've grown tired with the Christian music that I'd been listening to. One can only listen to so much K-Love before they start to want something new.

What I'm looking for is something with an Indie feel to it. I love the new sound of Jars of Clay, and I'd like to find more stuff like that. There are many non-Christian bands that I'm listening to that I'd like to find a similar sound to like OK Go.

Any suggestions?

Sorry for taking so long to see this and respond, but I've got some input. As Matt mentioned, Pandora is good. Also, check out http://www.christianmp3.com. That site used to be run by one of the guys from the industrial band Anticrisis (a favorite of mine) and always had a good mix of everything from the superheavy to top-40 style stuff.

As you probably picked up by now, I'm a big fan of Bill Mallonee's stuff, as a solo artist and as part of Vigilantes of Love. I'd also check out Terry Taylor's projects (Daniel Amos, the Swirling Eddies, Lost Dogs), The Choir, and maybe some old Adam Again. It's not really similar to the new Jars sound, sonically, but the indie vibe is definitely there. You might also want to check online and try to find a copy of the Borrowers' self-titled disc from 1996 on Guardian Records. I highly recommend that one.
"A lot of Christians take a part of their life and try to make it their ministry. Plumb is my job, but every conscious second is my ministry."

Tiffany (Arbuckle) Lee
lead singer, Plumb
the pyromaniac

Return to Music