more divisive stuff

Do you like listening to the news and politics everyday, just because you think it's interesting to know how our government is one step nearer to starting WW3? Discuss those issues here.

more divisive stuff

Postby the pyromaniac on Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:47 pm

Most of the illegal immigration problem is racist bigots and politicians who want to push their agenda for personal gain, who want to make it illegal. Most of you have no idea how hard it is to get into this country legally for honest, hardworking Latinos, Europeans, etc. My wife is from Brazil and we have gone through so much red tape to keep her here legally that it makes me sick. It's super-easy to cross illegally from Canada and that's how the 9/11 hijackers got in. It needs to be a lot easier and cheaper to get in legally, and we should police the Canadian border more than we do.
"A lot of Christians take a part of their life and try to make it their ministry. Plumb is my job, but every conscious second is my ministry."

Tiffany (Arbuckle) Lee
lead singer, Plumb
the pyromaniac

Re: more divisive stuff

Postby destros_elite on Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:16 am

I really can't disagree with you at all. I have not experienced the difficulty first hand nor has anyone I know, but I have read about it. It really does need to be an easier process to enter legally. And I believe this can be done while keeping most of the current safeguards in place. I'll be praying for your situation, Pyro.
TheDoctor: "Restricted access, no unauthorized personnel." Hmmm... [opens lock with sonic screwdriver]
Amy: That's breaking and entering!
TheDoctor: What did I break? Sonicing and entering,totally different[/u]
DoctorWho-The Hungry Earth
destros_elite

Postby RevSears on Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:30 am

having worked immigration paperwork, it is a way to hard to get in legally. But that doesn't make those of who us who want to secure the border to keep out crime and hard drugs racist. Both areas need reform, lots and lots of reform.
http://nerd4thelord.wordpress.com/ A blog about Nerd topics from a Christian perspective.
RevSears

Postby the pyromaniac on Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:49 pm

Our situation is fine. I'm more concerned about some friends of mine who are not breaking any other laws, and are paying taxes, working hard, and contributing to society, who would like to become legal but are unable to without leaving and applying to come back.....
"A lot of Christians take a part of their life and try to make it their ministry. Plumb is my job, but every conscious second is my ministry."

Tiffany (Arbuckle) Lee
lead singer, Plumb
the pyromaniac

Postby chad_ghost on Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:15 pm

This is a fine line debate, though. My friend Gomer moved to Ghana a year ago. He could only stay in the country if he went through the proper channels. If he did not, then they would kick him out. Most countries seem to be this way, what makes us so different? I'm sure its not an easy process, but something has to be done besides just turning a blind eye. Unemployment numbers are affected by this, health care, taxes, etc. are also affected. Maybe the process is too difficult, but something needs to be there to protect those who go through the right channels.
chad_ghost

Chad & Matthew's Custom GI Joe Figures
"We cannot live the Christian life, only strive to. Only one man did, and they named it after Him."
chad_ghost
Administrator

Postby Professor on Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:38 pm

O.K. it's been awhile since I have posted, but this topic really hit a point with me today. First- This has been my most difficult year teaching and I pray everyday for guidance.

For those of you who don't know - I live in a border city and have lost one of my students because of immigration. WHY? because mother has been deported and advised by an immigration attorney not to return to the U.S. Many of you may have different feelings about immigration, but when you have a parent who speaks English and is working in the fields so she can provide a better life and get a better education for her child with a disability and then gets deported - What do you do? Especially when that child IS a U.S. citizen. As a result my student had to return to Mexico to live and stay with Mom and in the process is probably not receiving the necessary special education services to make him a more functioning and educated HUMAN BEING!

I see the effects of illegal immigration first hand. I see everyday the hard working people, seeking a better life and wanted more for their children - just like I want for mine. On the other hand I also see the free loaders, who want to live off the system ( but I also meet U.S. citizens who do the same). What is to be done?

This really hits home with me, In fact it really bothers me. I don't accept laws that break up families! But I don't condone breaking laws either. As a Christian, as a Catholic, I feel obligated to follows God's law over any national, state, or local law. Should families be broken up as a result? Should the 14th amendment be changed to exclude, like they are trying to do in my state? What happen to compassion? What happened to amnesty, like under Reagan? Who are we as a people to deny other people, not just citizens, the right to seek a better life? Sorry for my rant. Any thoughts?
It doesn't matter whether you are a lion or a gazelle in africa: when the sun comes up you'd better be running.
Professor

Postby chad_ghost on Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:56 pm

The problem is, as with everything, is that most laws are made because of the minority.

My students complain all the time about not being able to chew gum in class. The rule is in place because of those who cannot do this appropriately, such as blowing bubbles are sticking the gum on desks, floors, etc.

I use the analogy that murder is illegal, not because everyone is doing it, and it is wrong, but that some are doing it and, it is wrong. Sure, that is an extreme example, but students (especially 7th graders) need extreme examples to show a point.

Do I hate your situation and that of those families? Of course! The problems are caused by those exploiting America, not those trying to improve it.
chad_ghost

Chad & Matthew's Custom GI Joe Figures
"We cannot live the Christian life, only strive to. Only one man did, and they named it after Him."
chad_ghost
Administrator

Postby RevSears on Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:56 pm

Great post both of you. Proffessor it's a harsh and sad story. But they did at some point break the law to ge there. Most countries no longer count being born here as gaurenting citizenship, and i think we should adopt that policy. As a Chrisitan i would want to help the individual as well. Being logical and looking at our nation i know that we can not help everyone in this way. We are all going to be hurting if our economy continues to crumble and closing up the borders is one of the many things we need to do help our secruity and our economy. Illegal workers, drain taxes, and don't pay them. As churches i woudl totally support food drives etc. to help those in need in mexico. But it shouldn't be done with taxes.
http://nerd4thelord.wordpress.com/ A blog about Nerd topics from a Christian perspective.
RevSears

Return to News & Politics