Political Pulse Check...

Do you like listening to the news and politics everyday, just because you think it's interesting to know how our government is one step nearer to starting WW3? Discuss those issues here.

Political Pulse Check...

Postby destros_elite on Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:12 am

So, from your viewpoint, how do you see the current state of our nation? If you tend to support democrats...how do you see them doing? If you tend to support republicans...how do you see them doing? If you think they should both go jump in a lake...share with us what you would do if you were in control! :-)
TheDoctor: "Restricted access, no unauthorized personnel." Hmmm... [opens lock with sonic screwdriver]
Amy: That's breaking and entering!
TheDoctor: What did I break? Sonicing and entering,totally different[/u]
DoctorWho-The Hungry Earth
destros_elite

Re: Political Pulse Check...

Postby Darko on Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:56 am

I lean left, but I'm pretty fed up with both sides. Both have become so dug in and determined to win for the sake of winning that absolutely nothing is getting done. I feel like I want to shake them like a vending machine that ate my quarter without dropping chips.
I support the separation of Church and Hate.
Darko

Postby Matthew on Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:16 am

Darko wrote:I lean left, but I'm pretty fed up with both sides. Both have become so dug in and determined to win for the sake of winning that absolutely nothing is getting done. I feel like I want to shake them like a vending machine that ate my quarter without dropping chips.

:D

It's like one guy says I love McDonald's, so all his buddies agree. The other guy says I love Burger King, so all his buddies agree. No one sits there and realizes that they can go to Wendy's.

I mean one side wants to raise taxes while one side wants to cut spending. Why can't they do both. We live in a country where everyone wants something, but doesn't want to pay for it. While I complain about the outrageous amount I pay for healthcare, I know that if there was a free national option I'd still be paying for it, just a different way.
Matthew
The Mayor

Postby chad_ghost on Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:28 pm

I think that career politicians suck. If you look at the founding of our country, it was the smart guys who wanted to make a difference. Now to get elected you just need a big bank role. I really wish a third party candidate could really stir things up, but with the media, no one stands a chance.

No one knows what anyone stands for, and nothing is being done about anything. Congrats!
chad_ghost

Chad & Matthew's Custom GI Joe Figures
"We cannot live the Christian life, only strive to. Only one man did, and they named it after Him."
chad_ghost
Administrator

Postby destros_elite on Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:58 pm

chad_ghost wrote:I think that career politicians suck.

Totally agree. I would love to see a the "term limit" redefined. For example, in the Senate you would only be able to serve two consecutive terms (for a total of 12 years) and in the House six consecutive terms (for a total of 12 years). The twelve year limit would also be a lifetime limit, like two four-year terms is the limit for the Presidency. Why do we limit the President to two four-year terms while we allow the people who have the power to override a president to serve indefinitely? Also, Supreme Court Justices get twelve year lifetime limits. I haven't made up my mind whether they should be voted upon or appointed with Congressional approval (as we do now).
TheDoctor: "Restricted access, no unauthorized personnel." Hmmm... [opens lock with sonic screwdriver]
destros_elite

Postby destros_elite on Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:12 pm

Matthew wrote:I mean one side wants to raise taxes while one side wants to cut spending. Why can't they do both. We live in a country where everyone wants something, but doesn't want to pay for it. While I complain about the outrageous amount I pay for healthcare, I know that if there was a free national option I'd still be paying for it, just a different way.

Cutting spending is a MUST. Anyone who says otherwise is a fool. Tough words I know, but we are in tough times. Borrowing money to pay money is the classic example of robbing Peter to pay Paul. And if anyone looks at the history of economics you will see that raising taxes in a bad economy is not the move to make.
And I have to laugh when I hear politicians say that we will default on our loans if we don't raise the debt ceiling. Really? Because the we have a constant stream of money coming in through taxes everyday and with the deep spending cuts that must take place, it will be fine. If we raise the debt ceiling, why not just do away with it? What's the point of having a limit if we just keep changing it?
In a nut shell: Don't raise the debt ceiling, cut spending, don't raise taxes.
destros_elite

Postby Matthew on Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:41 am

destros_elite wrote: Don't raise the debt ceiling, cut spending, don't raise taxes.

And, of course, this is the main conflict. The problem is, who to believe? If I talk to my gun-toting, right-wing father-in-law, he would say that we pay way to much to people who don't need it (immigrants, welfare, etc). Summarizing conversations with him, fixing welfare would go a long way. However, talking to my left-wing coworker, welfare only counts for a tiny amount of government spending in comparison to other things, namely military.

Now the question is...who is correct?
Matthew
The Mayor

Postby destros_elite on Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:04 pm

I worked with welfare recipients, teaching them job readiness skills. I agree that there definitely needs to be welfare reform. I'll even take it a step further and say sweeping welfare reform. For instance (correct me if I am wrong on the state here) I believe Florida is/was going to require all welfare recipients to pass a drug test before receiving benefits. This is just one such reform.
As for the military, a powerful military is a necessary for the obvious (defense), but also acts as a deterrent. Just because you own a big stick, doesn't mean it has to be swung to be useful. If others know it is there, they will think twice.
Also, do not forget that military spending employs people and helps the economy. Welfare spending enables some to remain lazy and unemployed. Please note that I said "some to remain lazy and unemployed". I get aggravated when people lump all welfare recipients together. There are those on welfare who actually need it and use it to help them through tough times. After all, it is called Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF).
But back to the military for one more moment, the US could cut back its military spending to go along with an across the board governmental cut and STILL remain elite.
destros_elite

Postby destros_elite on Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:20 pm

It's been a few months and A LOT has happened in the political realm. Your current thoughts?
destros_elite

Postby destros_elite on Tue May 29, 2012 4:28 pm

So...Romney vs. Obama. Who do you pray wins? Also, what do you feel about the state of the union (not the junk the President spouts out in January of each year)? There is a lot going on in the world of politics right now!
destros_elite

Postby lobo on Tue May 29, 2012 9:46 pm

destros_elite wrote: Also, what do you feel about the state of the union (not the junk the President spouts out in January of each year)?

Where are we going, and why are we in this handbasket? Is it just me, or is it getting hotter?
Look! An old man pulling a box of junk...
lobo

Postby Wowboy on Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:09 pm

The election is just weeks away, and the past couple of weeks have been amazingly eventful and have shed a lot of light onto the convictions of both candidates.

What are everyone's views on the election?
Wowboy

Postby Matthew on Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:50 pm

Wishing I could vote "C."

Actually may vote Ron Paul :-). Really wish the country could get behind a third party. The choice of bad and worse doesn't really interest me.
Matthew
The Mayor

Postby RevSears on Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:39 am

as much as I'd love to vote for Ron Paul ultimatly i feel like it would just be a vote for Obama, so sadly I'll vote for Romney.
http://nerd4thelord.wordpress.com/ A blog about Nerd topics from a Christian perspective.
RevSears

Return to News & Politics