Israel vs. Hezbollah

Do you like listening to the news and politics everyday, just because you think it's interesting to know how our government is one step nearer to starting WW3? Discuss those issues here.

Israel vs. Hezbollah

Postby ColtsFan76 on Fri Jul 14, 2006 2:20 pm

since no one has asked yet, what is everyone's thoughts on the new round of tension opening up in the mid east?

i am not sure even i understand the full implications as I am just reading little tidbits on cnn.com when I open IE. but it seems things keep escalating - especially now that Hezbollah is ready for "open war" as oppsed to just lobbying rockets at Israeli cities. And not to be outdone, Hamas in the south is getting in on the fun - blowing open holes in border gates.

Also if I recall correctly, Israel was busy shooting up Palestinian building a week or two ago. Seems to me that Israel could quickly be fighting on 3 fronts.

What surprises me the most so far is the silence of the other Arab nations in the area.
James 1:19-20 (NIV)
My dear brothers, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry, for man's anger does not bring about the righteous life that God desires.

<><
ColtsFan76
aka G.I. Bri

Postby the pyromaniac on Fri Jul 14, 2006 2:37 pm

It certainly does look like the beginning of all-out war... Of course, we all knew this was coming eventually since the Arab nations that surround Israel don't recognize the right to exist of a people group that had been there for millennia before Satan gave them Islam.

...and on any other board, we all know a lot of people would find this offensive... On here, I don't think there'll be much of that... :)
"A lot of Christians take a part of their life and try to make it their ministry. Plumb is my job, but every conscious second is my ministry."

Tiffany (Arbuckle) Lee
lead singer, Plumb
the pyromaniac

Postby Skyfire on Fri Jul 14, 2006 2:56 pm

What's happening is that Lebanon isn't doing a thing to curb Hezbollah. Hezbollah parked themselves just inside the Lebanese border, and started popping off shots at Israel; doing such is an act of war, and Israel is reacting accordingly.

Frankly, I think that Israel is going to wind up annexing something again.
"Whatever I do, you don't!"

Bon Scott (July 9, 1946 - February 19, 1980) to the much younger Angus Young (both of AC/DC), as remembered by Young.
Skyfire

Postby andrwfields on Fri Jul 14, 2006 10:36 pm

I agree with Skyfire. Israel is acting just as they should. If Lebanon doesn't want Israel shooting into their country, they should kick the terrorists to the curb. If they're not retaliating against the terrorists, then they're siding with them. What has really surprised me is GW's near act of silence in the matter. I was expecting him to jump right in and say "Go Go Israeli..erm...US National Guard!" But he's really just letting it play itself out this time.
"...An Apology. If you met me between 1987 and 2005 and I told you, "I'll pray for you," that was a lie. Never happened. I probably didn't pray for you. And that's not cool." - Prodigal Jon from StuffChristiansLike.blogspot.com
andrwfields
Constable

Postby ColtsFan76 on Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:41 pm

Well he has said, through his press secretary, i believe, that a country has a right to defend itself against terrorists. he has to be careful to not show too much interest in israel, or he risks further damaging relationship with other Arab countries.

I think Lebanon is impotent against hezbollah. I doubt they have the muscle to rid themselves of Hexbollah (if they even wanted to). But 2 things: hezbollah is basically a creation of Israel pulling out of Lebanon a long time ago and the inability of the Lebanon government to stop them. and 2, Hezbollah is a legit politcal party within Lebanon and holds quite a few seats in parliment.
My dear brothers, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry, for man's anger does not bring about the righteous life that God desires.

<><
ColtsFan76
aka G.I. Bri

Postby camper on Mon Jul 17, 2006 5:42 am

If Lebanon goes after Hezbollah, then the counrty will divide in half. I think the current leadership is afraid (and rightly so) that the half that will lose will be the non-hezbollah leadership.

I think on Thursday a representative from Lebanon said essentially that on CNN. The Lebonese military has a lot of Hezbollah sympathizers.

Of course, when it comes to Islam vs Judaism, that region will have more sympathizers to Islam than anything else - terrorist organization or not.

dan
camper

Postby ColtsFan76 on Mon Jul 17, 2006 6:36 am

camper wrote:Of course, when it comes to Islam vs Judaism, that region will have more sympathizers to Islam than anything else - terrorist organization or not.

Possibly, but we also have to remember that Lebanon is the most Christian of the Arab nations. According to a UK source (http://www.intersites.co.uk/) it is sitting with about 40% Christian population (I thought about a decade ago it was an even 50%/50%). The next closest percentage is 10% in Syria.

<><
ColtsFan76
aka G.I. Bri

Return to News & Politics