Steroid use in baseball

Do you like listening to the news and politics everyday, just because you think it's interesting to know how our government is one step nearer to starting WW3? Discuss those issues here.

Steroid use in baseball

Postby the pyromaniac on Fri Jul 14, 2006 3:32 pm

I'm sure NoRmus and I aren't the only baseball fans on this board. It's time to sound off on the implications of this problem, not just in the sport, but the moral implications, since a lot of kids look up to these guys.
"A lot of Christians take a part of their life and try to make it their ministry. Plumb is my job, but every conscious second is my ministry."

Tiffany (Arbuckle) Lee
lead singer, Plumb
the pyromaniac

Postby ColtsFan76 on Fri Jul 14, 2006 4:23 pm

I think they should eliminate the sport completely. :)
James 1:19-20 (NIV)
My dear brothers, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry, for man's anger does not bring about the righteous life that God desires.

<><
ColtsFan76
aka G.I. Bri

Postby Skyfire on Fri Jul 14, 2006 7:12 pm

For starters, they've cheapened the concept of home runs. It used to be that getting a high number of home runs meant that you were a superb athlete. Nowadays, it just means that you've been taking the right kind of pills.

These players are also setting a bad example for kids. They're sending the message that there's no point in working hard and that you should simply look for shortcuts. They're also telling kids that it's perfectly fine to dope up, nevermind the fact that steriods and all these other things will mess a kid over for the rest of their lives.
"Whatever I do, you don't!"

Bon Scott (July 9, 1946 - February 19, 1980) to the much younger Angus Young (both of AC/DC), as remembered by Young.
Skyfire

Postby the pyromaniac on Fri Jul 14, 2006 7:38 pm

Skyfire, it's not often I agree with you (practically never, actually), but I think you summed it up perfectly on this one. I grew up watching guys like Dale Murphy, Glenn Hubbard, and Bob Horner with the Braves, and always being amazed at what those guys could do on a baseball field. After Hubbard retired, I had a chance to meet him once, and was amazed that this guy who spent 12 years in the big leagues would take time out of his day walking around a hunting trade show to talk baseball with some kid from Virginia he didn't even know and also shared his faith with me. He's a devout Christian and a fine human being.

Murphy was one of the top speed & power guys of the '80s and usually the heaviest drug he'd have in his system was aspirin or caffeine.

Horner was a guy whose gameday diet included a couple of beers and whatever combo he got at the Hardee's drive-thru near the stadium on the way to work, but he could hit a baseball about 9 miles when he was healthy.

Those were the days...................... :)
"A lot of Christians take a part of their life and try to make it their ministry. Plumb is my job, but every conscious second is my ministry."

Tiffany (Arbuckle) Lee
lead singer, Plumb
the pyromaniac

Postby andrwfields on Fri Jul 14, 2006 10:42 pm

I've honestly stopped following pro sports. I think that the athletes of today's game -and I mean all of them - only care about one thing... MONEY. I'm just surprised that Ken Griffey Jr. isn't walking out on the field at Riverbend (or whatever that stadium is now) with a Pepsi logo on his jersey instead of a Reds jersey.

Nascar seems to be the only "sport" that hasn't really changed much in the last decade or so. It's still just a bunch of good 'ol boys going out and driving their cars. Minus Jeff Gordon and Dale Earnheart Jr.
"...An Apology. If you met me between 1987 and 2005 and I told you, "I'll pray for you," that was a lie. Never happened. I probably didn't pray for you. And that's not cool." - Prodigal Jon from StuffChristiansLike.blogspot.com
andrwfields
Constable

Postby ColtsFan76 on Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:43 pm

andrwfields wrote:Nascar seems to be the only "sport" that hasn't really changed much in the last decade or so. It's still just a bunch of good 'ol boys going out and driving their cars. Minus Jeff Gordon and Dale Earnheart Jr.

Right, they care nothing about the money! It's not like their entire car and uniform is plastered in advertisement and their team sponsored by some huge corporation or anything.....

:P
My dear brothers, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry, for man's anger does not bring about the righteous life that God desires.

<><
ColtsFan76
aka G.I. Bri

Postby Skyfire on Sat Jul 15, 2006 5:56 am

ColtsFan76 wrote:
andrwfields wrote:Nascar seems to be the only "sport" that hasn't really changed much in the last decade or so. It's still just a bunch of good 'ol boys going out and driving their cars. Minus Jeff Gordon and Dale Earnheart Jr.

Right, they care nothing about the money! It's not like their entire car and uniform is plastered in advertisement and their team sponsored by some huge corporation or anything.....

:P

From what I understand, the practice of selling advertising space started as a way to compensate for the difficulty teams often had in getting insurance.
"Whatever I do, you don't!"

Bon Scott (July 9, 1946 - February 19, 1980) to the much younger Angus Young (both of AC/DC), as remembered by Young.
Skyfire

Postby andrwfields on Sat Jul 15, 2006 11:03 am

I'd say it's a bit of both.
"...An Apology. If you met me between 1987 and 2005 and I told you, "I'll pray for you," that was a lie. Never happened. I probably didn't pray for you. And that's not cool." - Prodigal Jon from StuffChristiansLike.blogspot.com
andrwfields
Constable

Postby ColtsFan76 on Sat Jul 15, 2006 12:19 pm

Skyfire wrote:From what I understand, the practice of selling advertising space started as a way to compensate for the difficulty teams often had in getting insurance.

So? Most of the sports started for some "innocent" reason. Mostly for love of the game while they were barely paid enough to keep themselves fed. So unless NASCAR advertising is used solely to pay for car insurance, it's not a valid argument today.

Come on, isn't the trophy named after a corporate sponsor? The Nextel Cup? At least Hockey and Football still have their's named after people. Not sure about baseball and basketball as I don't follow them at all.

<><
ColtsFan76
aka G.I. Bri

Postby the pyromaniac on Sat Jul 15, 2006 1:11 pm

Here's my take on the whole thing:

I've always loved to play and/or watch baseball & softball, and I can do so for hours on end. I'm also a casual soccer, football, hockey, extreme sports, and timbersports fan, and an interested follower of several tournament series in professional bass fishing. I'm really no fan of basketball or racing, but at least with basketball I can see the appeal to some people.

In every sport, most, if not all, of the competitors started off just getting into it because they fell in love with the game (a little Blindside reference for NoRmus and PoetFlint), and then when they discovered they had some talent it became a way to pay the bills. My own chance at a career in baseball was cut short by a knee injury, but I can pretty much tell you that if I'd been able to do it, I'm sure I'd be excited about the amount of money I'd have been making. Sports are big business, so of course you're going to see the worst come out of people when money is at stake.

I can honestly say that I would have been willing to be one of the guys who took a stand against steroids, just because that's my personality, and I'd be angry if I was the only catcher around who wasn't on the juice and had to work harder to get where other guys got. For me, the appeal is when I see a ballplayer who can do super-human things on a baseball field but yet, he's just an ordinary, average guy with a special gift. It's a little naive, I guess, but I just like to see athletes make the most of what God gave them, not what chemicals and a little influence from satan gave them.

...and I honestly believe Barry Bonds probably got to 700+ homers by making a deal with the devil.

Tiffany (Arbuckle) Lee
lead singer, Plumb
the pyromaniac

Postby chad_ghost on Sun Jul 16, 2006 8:26 pm

the sad thing is, steriods (or other enhancing agents) have become almost a must do for baseball players.

there are such high expectations on the players that if their bodies wear out or dont perform, then they are nothing.

you can tell the talent that didnt use, for example, Ken Griffey, Jr. he was an amazing player, one that put his body on the line for his team and the fans. and it caught up to him, quick. he is still a great player, when healthy, but the human body can only take so much.

i dont like the use of the drug and i think it is terrible all the way around, but i can see why so many use. to some, its between playing and not playing, because teams only look at the numbers, thats what sells tickets and wins games.
chad_ghost

Chad & Matthew's Custom GI Joe Figures
"We cannot live the Christian life, only strive to. Only one man did, and they named it after Him."
chad_ghost
Administrator

Postby V_Max on Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:35 am

I'm a much bigger football fan than baseball fan, but it's tough to live in this part of the world without at least having some devotion to the Boston Red Sox, so by osmosis, I am a baseball fan. ;)

If you ask me, I think it's time to let the past lie. There have been widespread steroid problems, and it was terrible, but I think it's nearly impossible to go back in time and try to decipher exactly who did what and what records (if any) should be stricken.

The MLB screwed up in not enforcing any kind of policy. The players screwed up by taking advantage of things they KNOW were wrong, but pretended it was okay because there was no rule in place.

I think it's time for everyone to say they screwed up, get better testing and move on. We need to get the steroids out of the sport TODAY and not worry so much about those hallowed historical numbers.

Justin
V_Max

Postby camper on Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:53 am

I think it's time for everyone to say they screwed up, get better testing and move on. We need to get the steroids out of the sport TODAY and not worry so much about those hallowed historical numbers.

I agree totally, but I think that steroid use is a symptom of the team owners wanting their teams to win, and forcing the players to do what it takes to win.

Of course, I'm a firm believer that the problem at the core is the issue of greed, on the part of the players, owners, and the sponsors. There's a need to draw in fans to the fields, and charge them $30 - $40 per person per game. More, if they can get it. And lets's not forget the merchandising......

It's not limited to baseball though, every sport is in the exact same position. Of course a player is going to want to earn as much as possible, but in order to get the 10 Mil signing bonus and 5 Mil per year they have to break some rules.

A ball player taking 'roids is really no different than what got the Tyco CEO's put away for fraud. People see the CEO's as greedy corporate shills who get what they deserve, but see the ball players as just a poor working class guy who made an honest mistake and deserve a break. Ironically, they're dealing in similar sums of money (and in the 'roid cases more than the tyco execs) but because America loves their celebrities we can't bear to see a baseball player put away, but we want the blood of the CEO if they overcharged someone a buck a year to pad their retirement.

Nobody want's to acknowledge that their favorite team isn't there so much to entertain them, but to extract as much money from their wallets as possible.

dan
camper

Postby RevSears on Fri Sep 29, 2006 8:26 am

I think it could be fixed easily. Mandatory testing before each game and several times through out the year, if you don't like it leave. Zero tolerance policy on drugs, the end. yeah it's tough but then only those who are tough by their own strength will be on the feild and those who are atheletes by the bottle can head home.

Baseball though, is not my sport i think it's nearly as boring as watching golf.
RevSears

Postby the pyromaniac on Fri Sep 29, 2006 1:38 pm

RevSears wrote:Baseball though, is not my sport i think it's nearly as boring as watching golf.

That's the only part of what you said that I don't agree with... I think you've hit the nail right on the head, for how to fix the problem, and the league doesn't have the gazongas to do it. They've become obsessed with the home run, trying to draw the casual fan in, at the risk of destroying the tradition they've built up in the last 130 years.

Tiffany (Arbuckle) Lee
lead singer, Plumb
the pyromaniac

Next

Return to News & Politics