Presidential Race 2008

Do you like listening to the news and politics everyday, just because you think it's interesting to know how our government is one step nearer to starting WW3? Discuss those issues here.

Presidential Race 2008

Postby andrwfields on Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:44 am

I know that we've been discussing Christians & Politics in another part of the forum, but I just wanted to know what you guys thought about the presidential election coming up in 2008. I know that is a ways off, but people are starting to think about it.

Here is a list of some eye catching people who are at least considering running for the top job in the nation:

Democrats
Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton of New York
Former Senator John Edwards of North Carolina
Senator John Kerry of Massachusetts

Republicans
Senator Bill Frist of Tennessee
Former House Speaker Newt Gingrich of Georgia
Former Mayor Rudy Giuliani of New York City
Senator John McCain of Arizona

Now I don't know about you guys, but I think it would rock to have Rudy Giuliani as the president. Although I'm a Bill Frist fan too.
"...An Apology. If you met me between 1987 and 2005 and I told you, "I'll pray for you," that was a lie. Never happened. I probably didn't pray for you. And that's not cool." - Prodigal Jon from StuffChristiansLike.blogspot.com
andrwfields
Constable

Postby the pyromaniac on Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:17 am

I don't really see a candidate I'd be comfortable with as our President yet from either party, and I doubt that's going to change.
"A lot of Christians take a part of their life and try to make it their ministry. Plumb is my job, but every conscious second is my ministry."

Tiffany (Arbuckle) Lee
lead singer, Plumb
the pyromaniac

Postby Matthew on Thu Sep 21, 2006 12:25 pm

i don't know either. i def. know that i'm not a fan of any of the democrats listed.
Matthew
The Mayor

Postby the pyromaniac on Thu Sep 21, 2006 1:33 pm

I'm so dissatisfied with all the candidates I'm seeing that I was going to pull a page from the playbook of my friend Maria. Last election, she voted for her ex-boyfriend's dog. I was planning on voting for Alex's dog this time around too, but she died a couple of months ago at the age of 16. I guess I'll just vote for my cats, probably the one with 3 extra claws on each of his front feet and no front teeth.
"A lot of Christians take a part of their life and try to make it their ministry. Plumb is my job, but every conscious second is my ministry."

Tiffany (Arbuckle) Lee
lead singer, Plumb
the pyromaniac

Postby PoetFlint on Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:49 pm

When did Julianni (sp) become a republican ??
Not much of a list to choose from. i was hoping Colin Powel might have been on it or Tom Ridge.
If thats my choices I'd have to go with McCain at the moment
"They make their tongues as sharp as serpent's; the poison of vipers is on their lips."
Psalm 140:3
PoetFlint

Postby Tim Elf on Thu Sep 21, 2006 6:01 pm

Senator George Allen is the closest thing to someone I could support right now.

I'm hoping someone else will come on the scene soon.

Can't stand any of the Dems (including McCain) and I'm not too fond of most of the Reps.
Serve the King. Live by His Code. Fight for His Cause.

http://www.menofvalor.cc
http://www.christianfictionreview.com
Tim Elf

Postby Normus on Fri Sep 22, 2006 2:57 am

I don't see any likely candidate I would support of the early favorites. Basically at this point, it would just be a matter of figuring out which is going to do the least damage of the two nominated.
Normus

Postby ColtsFan76 on Fri Sep 22, 2006 2:56 pm

Giuliani has been a Republican for a long time. He probably has my support of the list given. My favorite candidate is Alan Keyes. He's a fun one.

I can understand the frustration with the major parties and the government in general, but it saddens me when people want to vote for their pets. Joking aside, people have died to give us the right to vote. I don't take that lightly. And though I can't always make every election, I do my best to vote every year - whether there is a national race or not. Presidential years, I am at the polls for the primaries.
James 1:19-20 (NIV)
My dear brothers, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry, for man's anger does not bring about the righteous life that God desires.

<><
ColtsFan76
aka G.I. Bri

Postby the pyromaniac on Fri Sep 22, 2006 3:01 pm

I don't take that vote lightly, I just don't have any desire to vote for any of the candidates I'm seeing so far. Like I said before, let's just fire 'em all! :x

Do I think I would make a better President than our current administration?
I'm not sure.

Do I think there are more qualified people out there than him?
Absolutely.

Have I seen anybody throw their hat into the ring for the next election that I'd rather have as President?
No.

Do I believe Dubya is competent as a leader?
No.

Would we be better off as a nation if Dick Cheney were no longer Vice President?
Extremely.

Would a Democrat be any better?
Probably not.

That, my brothers, is my opinion on the matter. Realistically, the men whom I'd like to see leading our nation's government are actually leading churches instead and aren't going into politics.

Tiffany (Arbuckle) Lee
lead singer, Plumb
the pyromaniac

Postby ColtsFan76 on Fri Sep 22, 2006 3:09 pm

So to all your answers above, I ask "Why?"

What makes you feel that way? Not to get into a political fight here - but I think Bush is a great president. Does his mannerisms make him look like a bumbling idiot? At times. Does the media feed off of that? Yes. But tell me, why do you think he has been so bad? Or any of them for that reason? I think it is easy to point out the problems but it is more difficult to develop the solutions.

The men that lead your church are there because God wants them to lead churches. If He wanted them to lead nations, they would lead nations. Leading from the pulpit is a different job than leading from the capital. The men that are there are there because God gave them the authority and has made us subject to them.

I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss them as unimportant as everything under the sun is part of God's greater plan.
My dear brothers, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry, for man's anger does not bring about the righteous life that God desires.

<><
ColtsFan76
aka G.I. Bri

Postby PoetFlint on Fri Sep 22, 2006 3:53 pm

ok volitile subject, but...
I personally like President Bush. I thank God everyday for him. I also pray for him. Do i think he can do no wrong ? Of course not. He's made mistkes like anyone else. I think he has the hardest job on the world. And i thank God everyday for him because he has the ....GUTS , to stand up for what he believes is right, it may not be, but he sticks with his convictions. If you thinks he reads out of the Bible to impress us christian voters you can think again, he does it because he believes it and its who he is.
Alan Keyes will never have the backing anytime soon unfortunatly.
I agree there really aren't any candidates out there right now that I would like that are in competition, and i would like to see church leaders in these positions, but it all starts with us, getting people saved to change there lives/thought processes, local government, then state then national, and it is very important that we vote, i believe apathy is one of the greatest enemies of the church.
"They make their tongues as sharp as serpent's; the poison of vipers is on their lips."
Psalm 140:3
PoetFlint

Postby the pyromaniac on Fri Sep 22, 2006 8:09 pm

Did anybody see the Democrats jumping to the aid of Dubya and calling out that psychotic, demon-possessed Hugo Chavez?

http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/09/21/ ... index.html

Tiffany (Arbuckle) Lee
lead singer, Plumb
the pyromaniac

Postby ColtsFan76 on Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:12 pm

It seems my re-reading of Romans was pretty timely. These were the verses I had in mind when I was talking about submitting to the authorities....

Romans 13:1-7 (NIV) wrote:Everyone must submit himself to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God. Consequently, he who rebels against the authority is rebelling against what God has instituted, and those who do so will bring judgment on themselves. For rulers hold no terror for those who do right, but for those who do wrong. Do you want to be free from fear of the one in authority? Then do what is right and he will commend you. For he is God's servant to do you good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword for nothing. He is God's servant, an agent of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer. Therefore, it is necessary to submit to the authorities, not only because of possible punishment but also because of conscience. This is also why you pay taxes, for the authorities are God's servants, who give their full time to governing. Give everyone what you owe him: If you owe taxes, pay taxes; if revenue, then revenue; if respect, then respect; if honor, then honor.

<><
ColtsFan76
aka G.I. Bri

Postby RevSears on Thu Sep 28, 2006 8:21 am

like him or hate him, we should treat bush with respect, but i must admit i'm already anxouis for another leader to have a try, but there is aproblem. Like many of you i just haven't found one i'm 100% behind. I liked john McCain a lot more back in the day but i'm growing weary of him. Definatly leaning towards the republicans.
RevSears

Postby Johnny on Mon Oct 23, 2006 5:21 pm

I don't like any of them. Guiliani is pro-abortion and pro-gay marriage.

Of cousre, I'm Canadian so I can't vote.
"Mine eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the Lord;
He is trampling out the vintage where the grapes of wrath are stored;
He hath loosed the fateful lightning of His terrible swift sword;
His truth is marching on."
Johnny

Next

Return to News & Politics