Working on the site's Plan of Salvation

We are working on both a Statement of Faith for the site and a Plan of Salvation. Come on in and gives us your input.

Working on the site's Plan of Salvation

Postby chad_ghost on Thu May 25, 2006 10:29 am

ill keep this top post updated at all times. if we need to break off into a poll, then we can.

with that said, help me come up with a plan of salvation.
chad_ghost

Chad & Matthew's Custom GI Joe Figures
"We cannot live the Christian life, only strive to. Only one man did, and they named it after Him."
chad_ghost
Administrator

Postby ColtsFan76 on Thu May 25, 2006 11:16 am

We can keep it simple - start with a basic outline and then agree or disagree on each point to make our own statement.

Some that are simple are the "ABC" plan, Romans Road, or the FAITH outline. I can post the basics later tonite.
James 1:19-20 (NIV)
My dear brothers, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry, for man's anger does not bring about the righteous life that God desires.

<><
ColtsFan76
aka G.I. Bri

Postby RevSears on Thu May 25, 2006 6:13 pm

the abc plain is awesomly simple, i'm used to the roman road so either of those would be great, but i'm not to familiar with the faith outline
RevSears

Postby chad_ghost on Thu May 25, 2006 9:54 pm

guys, if you dont mind posting your plans, then we can build on them.
chad_ghost

Chad & Matthew's Custom GI Joe Figures
"We cannot live the Christian life, only strive to. Only one man did, and they named it after Him."
chad_ghost
Administrator

The ABC's of Becoming a Christian

Postby ColtsFan76 on Sat May 27, 2006 8:18 am

The ABC's

Clearly, accepting Christ as Savior is an individual process; it’s more than just reciting a “formula.â€
Last edited by ColtsFan76 on Sat May 27, 2006 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
My dear brothers, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry, for man's anger does not bring about the righteous life that God desires.

<><
ColtsFan76
aka G.I. Bri

F.A.I.T.H. Outline

Postby ColtsFan76 on Sat May 27, 2006 8:34 am

F is for FORGIVENESS
We cannot have eternal life and heaven without God's forgiveness.
[i]•“In Him [meaning Jesus] we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of sins.â€
Last edited by ColtsFan76 on Sat May 27, 2006 12:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

<><
ColtsFan76
aka G.I. Bri

Postby ColtsFan76 on Sat May 27, 2006 8:42 am

Romans Road is a bit more difficult. There are quite a few variations out there. Some are all in Romans, others take detours into John and Revelations.

I'll try to find one that is more common and post that. If anyone else knows of others, please post as well.

<><
ColtsFan76
aka G.I. Bri

Romans Road (one of many versions)

Postby ColtsFan76 on Sat May 27, 2006 8:46 am

The first verse on the Romans Road to salvation is Romans 3:23, "For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God." We have all sinned. We have all done things that are displeasing to God. There is no one who is innocent. Romans 3:10-18 gives a detailed picture of what sin looks like in our lives.

The second Scripture on the Romans Road to salvation, Romans 6:23, teaches us about the consequences of sin - "For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord." The punishment that we have earned for our sins is death. Not just physical death, but eternal death!

The third verse on the Romans road to salvation picks up where Romans 6:23 left off, "but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord." Romans 5:8 declares, "But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." Jesus Christ died for us! Jesus' death paid for the price of our sins. Jesus' resurrection proves that God accepted Jesus' death as the payment for our sins.

The fourth stop on the Romans road to salvation is Romans 10:9, "that if you confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved." Because of Jesus' death on our behalf, all we have to do is believe in Him, trusting His death as the payment for our sins - and we will be saved! Romans 10:13 says it again, "for everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved." Jesus died to pay the penalty for our sins and rescue us from eternal death. Salvation, the forgiveness of sins, is available to anyone who will trust in Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior.

The final aspect of the Romans road to salvation is the results of salvation. Romans 5:1 has this wonderful message, "Therefore, since we have been justified through faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ." Through Jesus Christ we can have a relationship of peace with God. Romans 8:1 teaches us, "Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus." Because of Jesus' death on our behalf, we will never be condemned for our sins. Finally, we have this precious promise of God from Romans 8:38-39, "For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord."

Would you like to follow the Romans road to salvation? If so, here is a simple prayer you can pray to God. Saying this prayer is a way to declare to God that you are relying on Jesus Christ for your salvation. The words themselves will not save you. Only faith in Jesus Christ can provide salvation!

"God, I know that I have sinned against you and am deserving of punishment. But Jesus Christ took the punishment that I deserve so that through faith in Him I could be forgiven. With your help, I turn away from my sin and place my trust in You for salvation. Thank You for Your wonderful grace and forgiveness - the gift of eternal life! Amen!"

Have you made a decision for Christ because of what you have learned through the Romans road to salvation? If so, please click on the "I have accepted Christ today" button below. If you would like us to contact you, please enter your email address as well.

<><
ColtsFan76
aka G.I. Bri

Postby CreepingDeath on Sun May 28, 2006 11:17 pm

This is going to be very difficult folks. There is no way you are going to get an agreement from all on this. This "site" should not have a plan of salvation. That can be found only by study of New Testament teaching.

I can tell you this, the plans I have seen so far, are incomplete. You will never get me to buy into a cookie cutter plan that has a name such as ABC or Roman whatever. You will never convince me that Baptism is not a necessity in the plan, and I will never convince you that it is absolutely necessary for salvation.

I think you should leave the plan of salvation to the Bible, and not try to homogenize one for this sight in an effort to tickle everyone's ears. I'm sorry, I don't mean to be insulting to the suggestions so far, I'm just not in agreement. I think you will lose many members who do not agree with an internet site's "plan of salvation" that does not resemble what they believe to be found in the New Testament.

My .02
CreepingDeath

Postby ColtsFan76 on Mon May 29, 2006 10:25 am

I knew the task could possibly be difficult. But we have the potential to reach unsaved people through this site that may have questions. We would be remiss if we did not present some sort or plan of salvation. Do we boil it down to the most basic things we agree on? Or do we get a basic outline and then add in all the different beliefs of the denominations?

So let's talk about Baptism. Why do you feel it should be included?

<><
ColtsFan76
aka G.I. Bri

Postby CreepingDeath on Mon May 29, 2006 12:07 pm

ColtsFan76 wrote:So let's talk about Baptism. Why do you feel it should be included?

Matt. 28: 19, 20
Mark 16:16
Acts 2:37, 38
Acts 2:41 (baptized = added); Acts 2:47 (added = saved)
Acts 8:12, 13
Acts 8:35 (preached Jesus to him); Acts 8:36 (what necessity must have been included in this preaching about Jesus?)
Acts 10:47, 48
Acts 22:16 (Pauls's account of his own conversion)
Rom. 6:1-7 (vs. 5, "For If..."; vs. 7, "for he who has died (baptized), is freed from sin")

These are just specific verses that make it evident to me, and many others, that Baptism must be included in any plan of salvation.
CreepingDeath

Postby Matthew on Tue May 30, 2006 3:29 pm

to me, Baptized is a public confession of salvation as well as a way to join the church. I do believe that a public confession of faith is necessary, but I do not think that Baptism is the only way to publically profess ones faith.

Look at the criminal on the cross next to Christ. He was never baptized, but did accept Christ as his savior.
Matthew
The Mayor

Postby ColtsFan76 on Tue May 30, 2006 5:20 pm

I need to spend more time on this than I have right now. But I agree with Matthew: baptism is the public confession part of salvation - I equate it with the "confess with your mouth" portion of Romans 10:9. A public statement is needed and baptism is the most obvious of choices. However, I also believe that it is not the only one.

The thief on the cross is one example. There are other verse that talk of faith alone as necessary. I'll have to get to those later.

Also, I quickly skimmed the verses you posted Kel and the context of some. Only 2 or 3 state baptism by water. Others state baptism along with other things - such as the Great Commission - which, taking your logic, would mean that discpleship should be another requirement of salvation.

What I am beginning to believe about Baptism over the past couple of weeks as I thought about it more is this: I think Baptism is a necessary part of one's Salvation - but I don't think it is water baptism - i think it is baptism in the Holy Spirit. John baptized Jesus. And as Skyfire once pointed out on this site, if it wasn't important to be baptized, why would Jesus do it? The water baptism is symbolism - it represents the death and burial and resurrection of Jesus; it also represents the symbolic cleansing of one's sins. But we sin continually, so do we need to be baptised continually? No. Christ died once and that covered all our sins. And because He died, there is nothing as far as works that we can do to pay for our sins. So the power is not in the water or even the symbolism.

But after Jesus was baptized symbolically with water, heaven opened and the Holy Spirit descended. I think that is the true baptism that is required to be saved. When we truly accept Christ both outwardly and inwardly, then the Holy Spirit may dwell in us and we our truly Christian at that point.

As a Baptist, I have obviously been Baptized. But we require it only as a means of church membership and to take part in the Lord's Supper. We do not feel it is a necessary step in Salvation itself. but we do feel it is important if you are serious about making your public statement. basically, if you deny baptism, you are denying Christ publically, and by that, you violate Rom 10:9 and what would be considered a genuine conversion. We encourage baptism of those who confess Christ and I would be willing to post baptism as a necessary "next step" on the plan of salvation.

but what i would like to know Kel is why you think it should be included within the plan itself? what does it mean to you personally to require baptism? Why do you see it as a requirement in your own words? what type of baptism is it? Sprinkling or immersion? Infant or mature?

<><
ColtsFan76
aka G.I. Bri

Postby CreepingDeath on Tue May 30, 2006 11:29 pm

ColtsFan76 wrote:The thief on the cross is one example. There are other verse that talk of faith alone as necessary.

As far as the thief is concerned, Jesus had not yet died on the cross, therefore the Old Covenant was still in place. Once Jesus died, the old law died with him. You then see the pattern and requirements of the New Covenant emerge with the resurrection of Christ and the teachings and examples set by the apostles and first century church, including the plan of salvation. There are no verses in the new testament, that I'm aware of, that say "faith alone". Actually there are verses that speak to the contrary.
but what i would like to know Kel is why you think it should be included within the plan itself? what does it mean to you personally to require baptism? Why do you see it as a requirement in your own words? what type of baptism is it? Sprinkling or immersion? Infant or mature?

First of all the type of baptism is immersion. The word baptism is actually a transliterated word, not a translated word. The original text(s) used the word immersion. The scriptures necessitate that it must be a mature baptism, because you can't beleive if you are an infant presented with the gospel of Jesus. As well, since I understand and believe that baptism is for the remission of sins, there is no need for infant baptism, since the "child does not bear the iniquity of the father" Ezekiel 18:20.

All that said, here is a quick and dirty version of just reading the scripture, and doing what it says. No heavy analyzation needed.

Mark 16:15,16 - He Who Believes and Is Baptized Will Be Saved.

Where does this passage place salvation in relation to baptism?
Does salvation come before baptism or as a result of it? We can no more be saved before baptism than we can before believing.

It is like 1 + 1 = 2. Take away either of the "1's" and you no longer have two. Likewise if you take away either faith or baptism, you no longer have salvation.

Someone may respond, "It says you will be condemned if you don't believe, but it doesn't say you will be condemned if you are not baptized."
The Bible does not always spell out what we have to do to be lost. It tells us what we have to do to be saved and expects us to realize that, if we don't do it, we will be lost.

It says we must do two things to be saved. To be lost, you only need to omit one of them. If you don't have faith, you probably would not be baptized, and if you did it would not do any good. To be lost is easy - just don't believe. To be saved is harder - you must both believe and be baptized.

This was a very concise and specific point, I could elaborate for days and/or weeks.

But suffice to say, I could not support a plan of salvation that did not include Baptism as a required item.

Hey Bri, check out the board game thread about my Ark of the Covenant experience. :D
CreepingDeath

Postby Matthew on Wed May 31, 2006 8:25 am

What if someone were to accept Christ and never have the opportunity to be saved? For example, a POW in solitary confinement realizes that God is all he has and accepts Christ as his savior. What if he died in prison? Would he not be saved?

This is extreme, but the point I want to make is that we cannot do anything (acts/works) to garner salvation, it is only something God grace gives to us.
Matthew
The Mayor

Next

Return to Site Planning