Statement of Faith for the site

We are working on both a Statement of Faith for the site and a Plan of Salvation. Come on in and gives us your input.

Statement of Faith for the site

Postby chad_ghost on Thu May 25, 2006 10:34 am

something that has been suggested and i feel that it is important. when people come here, i want them to know what this site is about.

ill start with my feelings about the site:

army4One.com was created as a Christian message board for GI Joe fans to discuss their faith, as well as other things. As the board continues to grow, it is becoming a place for fans of many different things, and even a place for all people, not just Christians, to discuss their hobbies on a Christian organized message board.
Last edited by chad_ghost on Thu May 25, 2006 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
chad_ghost

Chad & Matthew's Custom GI Joe Figures
"We cannot live the Christian life, only strive to. Only one man did, and they named it after Him."
chad_ghost
Administrator

Re: Statement of Faith for the site

Postby ColtsFan76 on Thu May 25, 2006 11:14 am

chad_ghost wrote:army4One.com was created as a Christian message board for GI Joe fans to discuss their faith, as well as other things. As the board continues to grow, it is becoming a place for fans of many different things, and even a place for all people, not just Christians, to discuss their hobbies on a Christian organized message board.

I would avoid the use of "things" too many times. Maybe keep it in lists of 3's - GI Joe fans to discuss their faith, their interests, and current topics

then when it comes to others - it is becoming a place for fans of many different hobbies,

and fianlly to share their thoughts on a Christian organized message board

just my thoughts.....
James 1:19-20 (NIV)
My dear brothers, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry, for man's anger does not bring about the righteous life that God desires.

<><
ColtsFan76
aka G.I. Bri

Postby CreepingDeath on Sun May 28, 2006 11:23 pm

Again, so as to not be grouped into teachings of "faith" or statements of "faith" that may have a certain denominational feel, I recommend calling it the site's "Mission Statement".
CreepingDeath

Postby ColtsFan76 on Mon May 29, 2006 10:29 am

CreepingDeath wrote:Again, so as to not be grouped into teachings of "faith" or statements of "faith" that may have a certain denominational feel, I recommend calling it the site's "Mission Statement".

This is a Christian site and we need to indentify ourselves as such. Everyone is welcome here but this is still a site were Christians gather. I wouldn't want it to be taken over by Hindu's for example where we would have to be tolerant of their teaching in the interest of political correctness.

We can base it off of something general like the Nicene Creed or something.
My dear brothers, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry, for man's anger does not bring about the righteous life that God desires.

<><
ColtsFan76
aka G.I. Bri

Postby camper on Wed May 31, 2006 6:21 am

There are certain beliefs which are adhered to by all Christian denominations. These are the core beliefs that define christianity, and do not delve into the denominational differences.

I'm a protestant so my beliefs tend to lean towards that outlook on the minor things, but they definitely do not depart from the core chrisitan beliefs. The statement has to include those core beliefs, and not so much the minor denominational differences. The statement of faith might just be those core christian beliefs. For example, I wouldn't want to see a Catholic to feel any less out of place here than a baptist, methodist, or lutheran. But if a member from the Christian Science group comes here, I want them to know that our overall beliefs differ from theirs.

Why? For one, they simply need to know and for another you can't try to witness to someone unless you're willing to be up front and honest with them. It's important for them to know that in this environment that they are NOT considered Christian (not just by us, but by the denominations we represent) and that if they claim Biblical authority or produce a non-biblical stance that they will be called on it.

Just my 2 cents.

dan
camper

Postby pl_walker on Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:24 am

Not sure if it helps, but I've always organized doctrine in my own mind into these 7 catagories...

1. God
2. Created Beings (angels, men, etc)
3. The Scriptures
4. The Church
5. Creation
6. Salvation
7. End Times

Simply speaking, it is 4 groups. Beings (God & Created Beings), Things (The Scriptures & The Church), Events (Creation & Salvation) and Times (End Times).

Paul
pl_walker

Postby ColtsFan76 on Mon Oct 09, 2006 5:22 pm

I think that is a very common theological outline. This would be a good starting point. Glad you revitalized the link as we have lef tit dormant for some time. I have been meaning to give it a bump.

By the way, glad you "finally" joined (even though it was less than 24 hours from when you first asked me about the site!). Welcome aboard!!!

<><
ColtsFan76
aka G.I. Bri

Postby andrwfields on Thu Nov 08, 2007 3:14 pm

*BUMP*

You know, I looked through a few of the pages here and it looks like this really got out of hand.

A statement of faith is really a simple thing and I believe that we were just overthinking it.

But, it is something very important to have on this forum.

My $.02
"...An Apology. If you met me between 1987 and 2005 and I told you, "I'll pray for you," that was a lie. Never happened. I probably didn't pray for you. And that's not cool." - Prodigal Jon from StuffChristiansLike.blogspot.com
andrwfields
Constable

Postby thea on Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:43 am

In talking with people of different Christian faiths -

I have found the Apostle's Creed to be something that
everyone believes.

I believe in God the Father Almighty, maker of heaven and earth,
and in Jesus Christ HIS Son, our Lord, who was conceived by
the Holy Spirit, etc. etc.

No one can argue with the Holy Spirit!!

thea
thea

Postby Matthew on Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:37 am

thea wrote:In talking with people of different Christian faiths -

I have found the Apostle's Creed to be something that
everyone believes.

I believe in God the Father Almighty, maker of heaven and earth,
and in Jesus Christ HIS Son, our Lord, who was conceived by
the Holy Spirit, etc. etc.

No one can argue with the Holy Spirit!!

thea

I agree with you here. The biggest debate I've seen though is the area of baptism. There are some who believe it necessary, while others, such as me, do not. I think that is really where we stalled out.
Matthew
The Mayor

Postby MacGyver on Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:35 am

I'm kind of wondering myself if a mission statement wouldn't be the diplomatic way to go so this doesn't stall out any more? It could state the major beliefs we share, but wouldn't leave the impression that if you don't agree with it, then we don't want you here.

I really like Chad's suggestion with Colt's tweaks:

army4One.com was created as a Christian message board for GI Joe fans to discuss their faith, interests and current topics. As the board continues to grow, it is becoming a place for fans of many different hobbies, and even a place for all people, not just Christians, to share their thoughts on a Christian organized message board.

I'd like to see some additional purpose added to it...and I thought it might be helpful if we listed some of the reasons we're here...what do we come here for, as opposed to somewhere else...why does this place exist (beyond what's already stated)...do we have a collective goal, as a division of the army of the One True God?

Here's mine:
I come for encouragement, real-ness...no masks allowed... ;) I also come because I can freely discuss my beliefs without flaming and drama.

I come because, even if i go through periods where I don't post much, I feel revived for the battle after reading.

We've had a couple of seekers here since I joined, and I think that's tremendous. We should be a place where the saved, seekers, skeptics and cynics (yes, there's a difference) can come for safe, honest and thoughtful discussion of the Christian faith.

Another goal should be (and pretty much is) to spur one another on to excellence in faith, thought, word and life.
MacGyver

Postby thea on Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:22 pm

The biggest debate I've seen though is the area of baptism. There are some who believe it necessary, while others, such as me, do not. I think that is really where we stalled out.

I read you loud and clear -- this reminded me of a time when my mother gave me the fact that you had to be baptised by some man in a tank of water or a stream of water.

I asked her - if I was on my death bed -- just receiving Christ as my Saviour - would you take me off my death bed to dunk me in a tank of water.

She, of course, then got the point.

To be baptised with the presence of the Holy Spirit which we immediately get a dose of -- the down payment of our inheritance (Ephesians 1) - when we accept Jesus as our Saviour --
and then when all we get are a lot of problems - all because of Jesus in us - and Satan in them --
and I need to be dunked by some other human being -- I don't think so --
Jesus is all in all!! If HE is not God, and you need man - then we are in real trouble.

However - if you are in a denomination that believes that to join the church you must be baptised - then be baptised - but don't make it impossible for everyone to not get to heaven because of what some earthly person did to your body or because you don't want to join their particular denomination.

I found freedom from church - when I discovered that God could teach me the truth - as long as I was willing to stay on my knees and read the Bible - with Jesus doing the teaching.

thea
thea

Postby andrwfields on Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:04 pm

*BUMP*

Alright, Chad I know you have the mission trip coming up soon so this is just another burden that you don't need.

What I'm proposing is that you select a group of us to put the final touches on this and have it published. You always said you wanted to have this done by the time the new board rolled around.
"...An Apology. If you met me between 1987 and 2005 and I told you, "I'll pray for you," that was a lie. Never happened. I probably didn't pray for you. And that's not cool." - Prodigal Jon from StuffChristiansLike.blogspot.com
andrwfields
Constable

Postby andrwfields on Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:09 pm

Same here as for the Plan of Salvation. All interested have one up by next wednesday. We group, we combine, we edit, we post.

If we want other people to come here and join in Christian conversations, we need to show them that we are united in Christ and that we don't fall apart on a monthly basis.
andrwfields
Constable

Postby andrwfields on Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:20 pm

army4One.com was originally created as a Christian message board for G.I. Joe fans to discuss their faith, interests, and daily lives. As the board continues to grow we have become a site for people from all walks of life. No matter what your beliefs, hobbies, or personal interests may be, you're welcome to talk here. All are invited to discuss God, G.I. Joes, books, sports, the news, politics, video games, movies, and any other subject that crosses your mind.

As Christians on this forum, we follow the general Apostle's creed:

I believe in God, the Father almighty,
creator of heaven and earth.

I believe in Jesus Christ, his only Son, our Lord,
who was conceived by the Holy Spirit,
born of the Virgin Mary,
suffered under Pontius Pilate,
was crucified, died, and was buried;
he descended to the dead.
On the third day he rose again;
he ascended into heaven,
he is seated at the right hand of the Father,
and he will come to judge the living and the dead.

I believe in the Holy Spirit,
the holy christian Church,
the communion of saints,
the forgiveness of sins,
the resurrection of the body,
and the life everlasting.
Amen.
andrwfields
Constable

Next

Return to Site Planning