How do I turn off the "weird stuff magnet"?

Finding God in the little things...

Moderator: lobo

How do I turn off the "weird stuff magnet"?

Postby lobo on Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:01 am

First part of June:
I thought I would go for a quick walk in the woods the other evening. I brought along a .45 and my video camera instead of my usual DSLR. As I started up the road, I thought I saw a glimpse of a light color that disappeared when I looked back up - explainable by sunlight.

I continued walking, and spooked two deer that took off running.

Usually, as I get closer to the end of the road, I can feel the hairs on my neck stand up and tingling in my spine like I'm being watched.

If it's friendly or ambivalent, we'll continue on our own way. If it's hostile and persists, there's a couple extra magazines...

So, I got to the end of the road, heard a deer up on the hill snorting at me. I turned around and headed back out.

I got halfway back out, when it happened...

What kind of animal makes a heavy, plodding sound moving through the brush (besides Bigfoot Roll Eyes Wink and the Wolfman who was reported seen in the general area 45 years ago)? It also doesn't run when you throw fist-sized rocks in the vicinity... No other cars in the lot. No "Hey, stop throwing rocks at me!" Whatever it was didn't come out of the brush to make a youtube debut...

As I focused intently on the area, the sound abruptly stopped. Was it sizing me up and decided I was too ready? I heard birds chirping all the way up and back, except at this time - maybe I tuned them out.

I headed for the truck, pausing to look behind me every so often.

So... Opossum? Raccoon? A bear was picked up in the area a couple years ago and transplanted. A couple others have been spotted and escaped.

Yesterday:
Had the same feeling a couple nights at home walking from the truck to the house - it's a couple miles from the first incident. I got home Friday, and felt like I was being watched from the truck to the house. I got in, and 4 minutes later, the motion light went out. A couple of minutes later, something set it off again.

Also heard the same sound through the weeds behind the house...

===========================================

I went back this evening around 6:30. Only went about half way because I was in a hurry. I was traveling light - video camera and 1911 with one magazine (wished I had the extras...).

Had the same feeling close to the parking lot, and the spot from last time.

It's been raining here almost every day for the last week. Something (someone?) snapped a limb that sounded pretty dry or pretty large to get the loud crack. It sounded like it was coming from the old mining road above the gravel gas road I was on.

There were no cars in the lot. I didn't notice any human tracks. I did see an unfamiliar track, but it was small, maybe 2.5". It had (I think) five toes and a large pad - will have to do a screen capture to be sure...

I don't know of any homeless people who could have set up. Never seen any person. Never been far from the road, so haven't seen signs of a "grow" operation or anything like that.

Thinking "Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for Thou art with me, Thy rod and Thy staff they comfort me", helped with the electric sensation in my spine...
Look! An old man pulling a box of junk...
lobo

Re: How do I turn off the "weird stuff magnet"?

Postby Matthew on Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:03 pm

I'm not sure what it could be. Keep on exploring. You have piqued my interest.
Matthew
The Mayor

Postby lobo on Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:05 pm

As I was thinking the "Yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death", I couldn't help but think of the movie DOOM, when they're walking around in the drain...

It was a couple minutes after that, that the stick broke...

I have every intention of returning...

The hunter of the hunted becomes the hunter of the hunter??? :?
lobo

Postby destros_elite on Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:43 pm

Post updates OFTEN. I was on the edge of my computer chair reading this.
destros_elite

Postby lobo on Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:34 pm

From my post on Monday, March 2, 2009

Friday night, I went to bed at 12:05am. I remember being in a semi-dream state and feeling like something malevolent was staring at me. The dog was on the bed, I was laying on my side with my back facing the window and open room. I remember in my mind thinking, "In the name of Jesus I command you to leave. In the name of Jesus I command you to leave..." That brought me out of my sleep. I sat up in bed at 12:25am. I couldn't tell if the motion light was on outside or not. I got up, and pushed the bedroom door closed a little more. The feeling left and I went back to sleep.
lobo

Postby camper on Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:49 pm

I'd guess bear or coyote or simliar. Possibly a deer, if so many were in the area.

Ever read "The Oath"? Maybe it's a dragon. ;)

Also, I want to hear about that wolf-man sighting. That soudns REALLY cool.

dan
camper

Postby lobo on Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:27 pm

I have "The Oath", but haven't read it yet...

I don't know much about the wolf-man sighting other than that it was my Mom that saw it while she was playing in the same group of woods (about a mile away) when she was a girl and she ran home...

May 2007 a bear was trapped in the area that had come down from PA, it was relocated to Tucker County. July 2007, a bear was spotted in Bridgeport - the next town over - but it got away.

There are coyotes in the area. January(?), I went for a walk on the other side of the hill, and heard coyotes howling and saw deer take off from that area - didn't hang around very long - just had a camera. A guy I go to church with heard a few in the brush around him and his grandson on the ridge.

There are deer in the area.

I did see a skinned raccoon(?) laying in a ball at the end of the road on one of my hikes... It was still intact, just didn't have any skin.

15 years ago(?) I think a body was found in the area. I remember the big search in the news, but don't remember if they found anyone.

Maybe I need to dig out the e-call and find a nice big tree to lean against...
lobo

Postby camper on Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:34 pm

OH yeah....mountain lions. We got them up our way, and the 'feeling stalked' was described by a guy on our van pool. Looked up over a ridge and saw one pass, then thought he saw another one. Rare for these parts, but it happens. If you got bear coming down from PA, you could have mountain lions too. Though, you probably have them in WV anyway...

dan
camper

Postby lobo on Tue Jun 23, 2009 5:04 pm

People have reported seeing Mountain Lions around, but according to the WVDNR they do not exist in WV.

[Obiwan voice] These are not the Mountain Lions you are looking for... [\Obiwan voice] :D
lobo

Postby chad_ghost on Tue Jun 23, 2009 5:40 pm

One of the soccer players that I coach swears he saw bigfoot here. He was driving along a little back road. His detailed description was pretty amazing, and he told it as if he really believed he saw it.
chad_ghost

Chad & Matthew's Custom GI Joe Figures
"We cannot live the Christian life, only strive to. Only one man did, and they named it after Him."
chad_ghost
Administrator

Postby lobo on Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:05 pm

I walked in to Radio Shack this evening as the staff where trying to get a couple "brilyunt" people to show the phone she had just stuck in her purse... They left the store.

Hopefully, the IDs they gave last night when they bought a computer are valid.....

Brilyunt.....
lobo

Postby lobo on Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:30 am

I went back Saturday.

When I pass that one spot, I could here a tree creaking in the wind. The hairs on my neck stood up again, and the electric sensation went up my spine. Maybe it's a (pre-installed, not evolutionary) brain response to danger from the tree. Maybe someone has a trail-cam installed in the area, and I can sense that. Maybe it's a deer or coyote watching me. Something is there.

The road was soft from rain. I saw deer, turkey, and canine tracks. I didn't see any human tracks, and walked into a couple of spider web strands at face level.
lobo

Postby lobo on Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:19 pm

Went back today around 3pm. The feeling wasn't as strong today. I did see human tracks this time headed out. The gas company uses side by sides to maintain their wells. They had been out with a weed eater around the wells.

The following tracks were made after that, because they over overtop of some of the 4-wheeler tracks...

Two sets of tracks went in and back afterwards while the dirt was dry in the last couple of days: One about size 12 - it was about the same size as my 13, distinct print, maybe 200+ pounds judging by the depth of the track in the soft dirt. The other was smaller by about 3 inches and lighter. From what I saw, neither seemed to be making any attempt to hide. I saw the tracks headed in, and then headed back out.
lobo

Postby RevSears on Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:34 am

I was on the edge of my set reading this. As someone who likes to hike in the woods behind the farm, i can relate to the creepy stalked feeling. I can also relate to the creepy "ghost" feeling (another story and another thread maybe) I had a simliar feeling one night when i get hissed at by a mountian lion. I chased it :) (Of course i was on a golf cart i had turned off and carrying my .38 special)

God did wire us to survive... i was typing this Heather just yelled "baby!" from the complete dark and i jumped a little!
uh-oh i'm caught. better head to bed.
RevSears

Postby lobo on Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:46 pm

I went back today around 10am, and the feeling was back, but not as strong. I did hear something moving behind a bunch of trees today. Like something took a step and drug its foot through the brush. Same area. I didn't hear it going in. I walked the 9/10 of a mile to the end of the road. (This road is dirt and gravel, and some of it is "two-track". I heard the noise on the way back out.
lobo

Next

Return to Lobo's Thoughts