Praying for pets

Finding God in the little things...

Moderator: lobo

Praying for pets

Postby lobo on Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:08 pm

Having lost 17 pets, I've wondered, "Should I pray for my pet when they are sick?"

I believe the answer is yes.

Luke 12
6Are not five sparrows sold for two farthings, and not one of them is forgotten before God? 7But even the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Fear not therefore: ye are of more value than many sparrows.

I believe that the Creator of the Universe, who knows the number of the hairs on our head, is even more concerned about things that bother us. Isn't the pet also created by God? Aren't we entrusted with their life? Who do we go to for help?

I remember sitting in the yard holding Tyson so that he wouldn't move with my fingers wrapped around his paw trying to stop the blood from flowing, praying that a vet would be open to see him. I could see that the tourniquet wasn't working, I also know that my fingers wouldn't get stronger as time progressed. As I prepared my heart for the reality of him dieing in my arms, my prayer was answered, and a vet was open. Sadly, we buried him the next day. The Garden holds a special place in my heart - I will never know the full extent that Jesus went through, but I have just the faintest of an idea.

I remember praying for Molly, another dog who technically wasn't mine, and pleading for more time for her. She was around for another year. I remember praying to be there when she took her final ride, and ended up driving her to the vet.
Having said that, in the grand scheme of things our pet's lives are small things. As much as I care about my animal friends, I care about my human friends even more.

Aren't we to be faithful in "little things"? Isn't that how faith grows? If the Creator of the Universe cares that much about the birds of the air, the flowers of the fields, and our pets; how much more does He care about us, and those we care about?

Luke 16
10He that is faithful in that which is least is faithful also in much: and he that is unjust in the least is unjust also in much. 11If therefore ye have not been faithful in the unrighteous mammon, who will commit to your trust the true riches? 12And if ye have not been faithful in that which is another man's, who shall give you that which is your own?

What a Friend we have in Jesus, all our sins and griefs to bear!
What a privilege to carry everything to God in prayer!
O what peace we often forfeit, O what needless pain we bear,
All because we do not carry everything to God in prayer.

Have we trials and temptations? Is there trouble anywhere?
We should never be discouraged; take it to the Lord in prayer.
Can we find a friend so faithful who will all our sorrows share?
Jesus knows our every weakness; take it to the Lord in prayer.

Are we weak and heavy laden, cumbered with a load of care?
Precious Savior, still our refuge, take it to the Lord in prayer.
Do your friends despise, forsake you? Take it to the Lord in prayer!
In His arms He’ll take and shield you; you will find a solace there.

Blessed Savior, Thou hast promised Thou wilt all our burdens bear
May we ever, Lord, be bringing all to Thee in earnest prayer.
Soon in glory bright unclouded there will be no need for prayer
Rapture, praise and endless worship will be our sweet portion there.
lobo

Re: Praying for pets

Postby Matthew on Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:05 am

I think we should too. What Friend has some amazing lyrics. It's great to know that God wants us to bring everything to Him, even though we may think it's not big enough to bring.
Matthew
The Mayor

Postby Darko on Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:47 pm

Ecclesiastes 3:19-3:21

19 "Man's fate is like that of the animals; the same fate awaits them both: As one dies, so dies the other. All have the same breath; man has no advantage over the animal. Everything is meaningless. 20 All go to the same place; all come from dust, and to dust all return. 21 Who knows if the spirit of man rises upward and if the spirit of the animal goes down into the earth?"
Darko

Postby chad_ghost on Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:30 pm

I think, seriously, that we should pray about everything. Do I? No, but I feel that is what God would want us to do. Through our submission will He teach us. The (Sunday school) answer is prayer.

So... yes is my answer :)
chad_ghost

Chad & Matthew's Custom GI Joe Figures
"We cannot live the Christian life, only strive to. Only one man did, and they named it after Him."
chad_ghost
Administrator

Postby Professor on Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:22 pm

You should definitely pray for your pets. All creatures are God’s creatures and desirve his intervention. My Church (Roman Catholic) has times during the year when you can bring your pets in to be bless by the father.
Professor

Return to Lobo's Thoughts