Jake Tillson - part 1

Finding God in the little things...

Moderator: lobo

Jake Tillson - part 1

Postby lobo on Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:57 pm

This is the beginning of a story I started writing. This is meant to be a short introduction. I have some more, but I haven't worked on it for a while...

What do you think so far?

=============

The Chronicles of Jake Tillson
The Demon Train
by me

===============================================================

Bright and early one fall morning, I received a call from the local police department. They requested a meeting as soon as possible that day. Like so many other times, I went.

As I walked into the station, the secretary looked up and said, "He's waiting for you, go ahead in."

"Have a seat. We called you here, Jake, because, well, you're the only person I could think of that does this kind of work...", said the Police Chief. "We have had a couple people come up missing, under suspicious circumstances. It was a man and woman; just tourists that came to see the old 'haunted' train station."

"How long have they been missing?", I asked.

"A little over a week", replied the Police Chief. Lowering his voice, "I sent my guys down there; I even sent the SWAT team. No one wants to go in the train. They said it feels like something is watching them. That's why I called you."

"Ok, I'll make a couple phone calls, and see what I can do."

-----------------

"Hello, may I speak to Moose?" I have been working with him for a while now. He is my partner, and a good person to have along when things get rough.

"May I ask who is calling?"

"Tell him it's Jake. We've got an investigation."

There is a pause on the other end of the line.

"He says he'll meet you at the usual spot."

----------------

Later that day, we met along a deserted road outside of town.

"Hey Jake, what's up?"

"Chief's got a bad one for us this time. Male and female both missing around the old train station. SWAT won't touch it."

"Must be bad if SWAT won't touch it. Isn't that where they found the goat remains?"

"That would be the place. Go ahead and put your carbine in the back, and we'll head over there."

-----------------

By the time we got to the train station, it was afternoon. Dark clouds were forming on the horizon.

"Well, here we are... Take four magazines of hollowpoints and four of full metal jacket.", I said. Why? Bullets won't work against what we came here for, but there may be other suprises. As we enter the yard, a feeling of great dread runs up my spine. "Can you feel that?", I asked Moose. "I sure can", he said, "this feels like the worst one yet...".

The further we went into the yard, the heavier the air seemed to be. You could almost feel something shouting "GET OUT!".

When we got to the train, Moose went up the steps first to unlock the door. As we stood there, I turned to him and said, "I think you need to hurry up with that lock, it looks like the rain is coming through the woods fast." Just as we walked through the door, the cloudburst started. Moose said, "That feeling is really strong in here; I've never seen so many occult symbols in one place before.". He was right, it felt like someone had placed a concrete block on my chest. The hairs on my arms and neck stood up. As we went from car to car, the feeling of dread got stronger.

As we entered the one car, the feeling grew very intense. Moose turned to me and said, "This must be the car." So, I started, "In the name of Jesus, I command you spirits in this train to leave." The storm outside kicked up, and the train started rocking. A voice shouted, "This is our home, you can't make us leave! We have been invited here, you can't make us leave!"

I replied, "You may have been invited here, but you are no longer welcome. I bind your power in the name of Jesus, and command you to leave." The train rocked even more furiously and then stopped. The storm outside the train slacked off to a drizzle.

I asked Moose to open up a sealed container laying on the floor. A prize awaited us inside... "That looks like a femur to me", Moose said. There was also a note.

Greetings.
Congratulations on finding and getting to the bone.
There is no need to look for the rest, as we have disposed of it.
We look forward to future encounters with you.

I said, "We'll take this back to forensics. Looks like we have a fan club..."
We left without further incident, and headed back to the police station. As I drove, I couldn't help but wondering, Why?. Why was I chosen for this? Why do I, of all people, have a "fan club"? Why had someone gone to such great lengths to set this up?

Back at the station, the Chief congratulated us for solving the case, but I don't think we completely solved the case... I think a big can of worms was just being opened...
lobo

part 2

Postby lobo on Tue Sep 26, 2006 11:57 am

"Five-oh-seven, this is Dispatch. We have a call from a female cashier at the convenience store on Route Eight outside of town. She reported an armed robbery and requested to speak to you. Three suspects have fled in a red extended cab truck. Make and tag are unknown. Contact with caller was lost. Proceed with caution."

"Thank you dispatch. Five-oh-seven responding sixteen thirty." As I turned on the blue lights, the thought crossed my mind, that this was a great way to start a shift.

"Dispatch, five-twelve, we will backup five-oh-seven as soon as we finish this ticket."

Fifteen minutes later, we pulled into the parking lot of the convenience store. I had turned off the blue lights before the turn, to avoid drawing attention. I pulled around to the side of the store, and stepped out of the truck. Moose waited outside by the truck in case the suspects came back. The Kimber .45 was a reassuring weight in my hand.

She was an attractive woman. About five foot eight with medium length red hair. She was probably around a hundred and forty pounds, but I'd never been good at guessing weight. She was wearing black cargo pants with a brown t-shirt.

But, as I stepped through the doorway, her appearance wasn't the first thing I noticed. Neither was the mess all over the floor. No, my attention was diverted to other things. Number one on the list was the the blued muzzle of the twelve gauge pump shotgun she held in her hands.

"Are you a cop?", she asked.

"Yeah, here's my badge."

As she took my badge to look at it, I noticed that she had one pants leg pushed up past her knee, and she had wrapped an Ace bandage around her knee.

"Well, mister Deputy Tillson, I've been waiting for you. Did they send just you?", she asked as she lowered the gun.

"No, my partner is out by the truck. Looks like you got hurt... Did they take anything?", I said as I placed the Kimber back in the holster at my side.

"That's just it... They just came in and broke a few bottles, poured red pop on the floor, and dumped potato chips all over the floor. They also smashed up the tape from the camera, broke the camera off the wall, and ripped the phone out. I was stocking the cooler when they came in, and after they left, I ran back around the counter to get my cell phone and grab the shotgun. I called the police, and then my stupid phone battery died. Then, as I started over to lock the door, my feet slipped on some chips and pop, and I twisted my knee."

"Did they take any money?", I asked.

"Not a penny, they didn't even open the register."

"Did they say anything?"

"Just the usual armed robbery stuff... Two of them were walking around the store mumbling, but I couldn't make out what they were saying. They did leave a card..."

CT
sees
you.

On the back of the card was an odd, but familiar symbol. I had seen it on the train...

"They said to give it specifically to you..."

"What kind of weapons were they carrying?"

"It was some kind of black pistol with a wire wrapped around it."

A marked cruiser pulls into the lot. Steve and John get out, and come to the door.

"Does anyone else work tonight?", I asked her.

"My boss went into town to make a couple deposits before the bank closed. He had to stop at Office Max and get some paper, too. He should be back anytime."

"OK. You two stay here until he gets back. We'll take her take her to the hospital for an X-ray, and then go to the station."

"OK, Jake."

I helped her out the door, and over to my truck.

Moose said he hadn't seen any sign of activity. I helped her up into the truck. "You can put your leg across the back seat there, if it feels better", I said.

"Dispatch, this is five-oh-seven. Suspects have fled the scene. Five-twelve will remain on scene until key-holder arrives. We are transporting the female employee to the hospital for a knee x-ray. Current mileage is twenty two thousand eight hundred and sixty one."
lobo

Part 3

Postby lobo on Tue Sep 26, 2006 11:57 am

Far overhead, two black shadows follow, unseen.

"What do we do now, master?"

"We just follow, and wait. We don't want to spook them too soon."

--------

Just above the truck, there is a brilliant light...

"Should we get rid of those two?"

"Not right now, we need to run interference for these three, so they can reach the hospital. Those two are just watching. The real danger is up ahead."

--------

"Sir, we have confirmation that the cashier is in police custody."

"Very good. It's time to heat things up a bit..."

--------

Inside the truck...

"How is your leg doing?", I asked.

"I doesn't feel too bad, but it still hurts some. My name is Carri, by the way..."

"That was going to be my next question", I replied. Something didn't feel right. It was like we were being watched. I couldn't see anything behind us, but it felt like we were being followed.

Up ahead there is a disabled car beside the road.

"Dispatch, this is 507. There is a disabled vehicle along Rt. 8 about three miles from the convenience store. Wait dispatch, two men just stood up on the other side with what look like Skorpian pistols. We are under fire."

As the four fifty four roared to life, bullets began hitting the truck. Moose grabbed the Super Shorty and began returning fire. "If we can make it up around the next bend, there is a backroad we can take into town." As we came up to the bend, I eased off the gas to make the turn. Rounding the bend, I caught something out of the corner of my eye, and just got stopped in time to avoid the tree laying across the roadway.

Someone is looking out for us…

"Is everyone alright?" They both said yes. "Dispatch, 507, we are being pursued by two armed men in a red four door sedan.
lobo

Re: Jake Tillson - part 1

Postby lobo on Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:56 pm

If we can make it to that tree, we can take cover behind it. “Dispatch, we are out of the vehicle taking cover behind the tree that is across the road. Be advised that suspects have automatic weapons!”

“507, this is Dispatch, full response is en route.”

“Just what is ‘full response’”, Carri asked.

“City, County, State, Tactical EMS”, replied Moose.

“No Fire Department?”

“They’re on standby”, I replied.

“Moose! Get down on the left side of the tree! I’ll be here beside the truck. Carri, you get down in front of the truck behind the engine block!”

We waited for what seemed like an eternity, or about 3 minutes if you’re not in a gunfight…

“They should be here by now – they were right behind us.”

“Sounds like the cavalry is coming, maybe they saw the car.”

The County and State units had been out patrolling – they were the first to arrive. The City units arrived shortly after. Then, EMS arrived.

“Are y’all ok?”

“Yes. Did you guys see a red four door sedan anywhere?”

“No, they must have took a side road… They sure did a number on your truck”

One of the County officers called me over.

“Forensics is checking things out, but these are 9mm casings. I know they up-armored the passenger compartments of the vehicles and gas tanks and such but the bed of your truck wasn’t done, was it?”

“Not to my knowledge…”

“You’ve got lots of entry holes, but not a lot of exit holes.”

One of the Forensics team called over the radio reporting what looked like a misfire with what looked like a frangible bullet.

“That explains the holes… But why would someone cut a tree down, chase us towards it, with machine pistols firing frangible bullets?”

“Hey Jake, we need to tow your truck back to the shop to look it over more. You all can ride with Detective Anderson over there.”

“Ok. We need to stop at the hospital first to have her knee looked at.”

It was a decent ride to the hospital. I suppose most people won’t bother a convoy of four cruisers and a SWAT truck. It was a slow time in the ER, but we formed a perimeter, and Carri went in by herself. Carri’s leg showed a minor sprain, and the doctor said it should be better in a couple of days. We had an uneventful trip to the station.

We arrived back at the station in time for dinner at the cafeteria. We walked in and found a seat. Stan, one of the detectives, sat down with the three of us. As we talked, Carri would periodically return to the buffet. As she finished her third plate and got up see what was on the dessert bar, she mentioned being most of the way through a dose pack of prednisone for allergies. We told her it was ok, she didn’t need to explain and to get whatever else she wanted.

As we ate, my mind wandered. Why were they using frangible bullets? How did the tree get across the road? Where did they go so fast? Was that to divert attention away from somewhere else, like that Die Hard movie? That was a lot of food, how can someone so small eat so much? But, prednisone can do that to you. I couldn’t shake that feeling that something wasn’t right about this. It seemed to…easy.

-------------------------

Two dark shadows float overhead. “He’d better watch himself. He’s still got a couple of days until the moon. If he makes her eat too much around them, the humans might get suspicious.”

---------------------------

“Sometimes, humans are dense… They dine with evil, and can’t figure it out”, a light figure exclaimed to another. “Yes – that’s why we watch over them”, another responded.

“Sir, don’t you think it was risky sending her with them so close to the moon?”

“Are you questioning my commands?”

“No, sir, it’s just that-“

“that we all know what happens during the moon, and can she control herself this close? Right? Relax, she is one of the best – that’s why I chose her. Now, don’t you have something you should be doing?”

“Yes, sir, right away, sir.”

So, we finished eating – I think she sampled most of the desserts – and headed for the questioning rooms. I told her that Stan would be asking some questions, and she agreed to that.
Look! An old man pulling a box of junk...
lobo

Postby chad_ghost on Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:46 pm

How did I miss this six years ago? I'll try to read it when I get a chance!
chad_ghost

Chad & Matthew's Custom GI Joe Figures
"We cannot live the Christian life, only strive to. Only one man did, and they named it after Him."
chad_ghost
Administrator

Postby lobo on Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:31 pm

I posted the first part then. I've gotten away from it in the meantime. I just started back on it, again. I figured if I'm going to write a story with some supernatural elements, I may as well use them all...

It is ongoing, as I borrow a computer or try to fix mine.
lobo

Postby Matthew on Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:59 am

chad_ghost wrote:How did I miss this six years ago? I'll try to read it when I get a chance!

ditto...6 years 8O
Matthew
The Mayor

Postby lobo on Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:30 pm

I told her that Stan would be asking some questions, and she agreed to that. It turns out that she moved into the area a couple months ago to escape the crime in the city she was living in. She told of the robbery, but there weren’t any new details. Stan commented that whomever “CT” is, they seem to be after me. After he finished, we took her back to her car, and went our own way.

No resolution… Only more questions…

Chapter 2

The skies were exceptionally bright Thursday night revealing a bright, full moon. We had just started our patrol Friday morning, when the call came over the radio.

“507, this is Dispatch. We’ve just received a call from the Smith farm outside of town. He says a bear got in his barn and attacked a horse and cow.”

“Ok Dispatch, 507 is en route.”

“I bet this is going to be a wonderful sight,” Moose said.

Mr. Smith was setting on the porch waiting for us.

“It’s about time you guys got here. I’ve been waiting for you. I was in town at the hospital with my wife last night. I came back this morning to a massacre.”

“Can you show us the site?”

“It’s here in the barn. It looks like a big animal got in here and killed a horse and cow. It must have been a bear. Haven’t been cougars in these parts for years, no wolves, too big for coyotes.”

There was quite a mess. Something had killed the horse and cow, and then started eating on them.

“Mr. Smith, we’ll get the DNR out here to look at this. We respond because we’re part of the unit responds to this type of call. From the looks of it, it was caused by an animal, so the…”

“Hey Jake, come look at this!” Moose called. “It looks like someone brushed a C and a T in blood on the wall.”

“As I was saying, we’ll get the DNR our here, and forensics…”

“I knew I should have ordered those cameras sooner.”

“What do you mean, sooner?”

“I noticed that something was spooking my animals, so I ordered some cameras on the internet, so I could record what was happening. They were backordered, but UPS set them on the porch before I got here. If I ever catch what did this, it’ll wish it had never been born!”

“Mr. Smith, if you ever hear something spooking your animals please give us a call.”
lobo

Postby chad_ghost on Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:51 pm

lobo wrote:It is ongoing, as I borrow a computer or try to fix mine.

Do you know what the problem is?
chad_ghost

"We cannot live the Christian life, only strive to. Only one man did, and they named it after Him."
chad_ghost
Administrator

Postby lobo on Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:27 pm

It seems to be the motherboard. The power lights come on for a second, but nothing else happens. I switched ram, and tried with just the battery then just the power cord, but it won't
even attempt to start.
lobo

Postby chad_ghost on Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:02 pm

lobo wrote:It seems to be the motherboard. The power lights come on for a second, but nothing else happens. I switched ram, and tried with just the battery then just the power cord, but it won't
even attempt to start.

Ah. Matt used a service through ebay to fix mine. It was around $100. Talk to him.
chad_ghost

chad_ghost
Administrator

Postby lobo on Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:05 am

I ended up with a new laptop yesterday... Time to get busy.
lobo

Postby lobo on Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:42 am

As we waited for everyone to arrive, we took a look around.

Other than the mutilated and partially eaten cow and horse, nothing seemed out of the ordinary.

Everyone showed up, the DNR, County, even the Police Vet. The K9 team showed up, found the trail, the dog whimpered, and pulled the handler back to the truck.

“He's never done that before,” John said as Moose and I walked up. “Have you ever seen anything like that?”

“Actually, yes I have. If that is what it appears to be, it will take a specially trained dog to follow that scent.”

“What do you mean 'that scent'? Max has been...”

“Ninety-nine percent of dogs will cower at the scent of a werewolf demon.”

“Demons don't have scents.”

“No, they don't. However, this particular one changes you. If you let it in, it changes you – your body chemistry, everything.”

“I suppose you look like a wolf, too?”, he replied in disbelief.

“No, you still look like a human, just a very mean person. The longer a person has it in them, the worse they get. It also gives you a superhuman appetite and metabolism. There is a tracking dog, but it will take a couple hours to get him here.”

“Okay, whatever... I guess we're going back to the station.”

--------------------------------

“So, my dear, how are you feeling?”

“Oh, I’m so full… I feel like I ate a cow.”

“Well, you only ate part of one. You also killed a horse and ate some of it.”

“I really outdid myself this time. I just get so hungry…”

“ Yes, you did. You need to keep better control of yourself. The police were called this time. The owner of the farm is having cameras installed.”

“I guess it wouldn’t be good to have his ‘bear’ turn out to be a woman in a robe, would it?”

“The bear costume was destroyed the first…”

“What idiot orders a skin-tight bear costume, and then sends someone to a buffet?”

“The ‘idiot’ has been dealt with. It was rather foolish to get such a close fitting outfit, and send you out to eat what you could of a cow, I still don't know how you managed to eat so much that time and still remain mobile… You've surpassed that this time. You're letting it take more control of you each time. You need to try to keep better control of yourself next time, I wouldn’t want anything to happen to you, ok?”

“Do you think he's caught on yet?”

“I don't think so. You're secret is safe for the moment. We'll find somewhere else for next time. Go ahead and sleep it off. It's a good thing you work for us – calling off every full moon might raise questions...”

“It's also good that my metabolism speeds up, or I'd be in serious trouble...”

------ –

As we walked into the station, we got the greeting I was expecting.

“A werewolf demon?”, asked the Chief. “I know you guys deal with the weird stuff, but a werewolf demon? Seriously? Are we going to have to worry about bites?”

“No. It's not like the movies. You have to want it and ask it to come in. Once it is in, it pushes you and gradually takes more control from you. You don't have to attack humans, animals will work. After you kill, then you eat until you can't possibly swallow another bite. Then, you go off and sleep somewhere while you digest.”

“Ok, you're the expert... So, we're looking for someone pretty big then? Someone physically capable of killing a large animal and then eating part of it?”, he asked.

“Not necessarily. When you are under the influence of the werewolf demon, you are fairly invincible. You can be taken out by a knife or gun, but it takes many hits. An average person could take down a cow. Judging by the amount consumed, we are dealing with an adult male."
lobo

Return to Lobo's Thoughts