Standing outside the fire

Finding God in the little things...

Moderator: lobo

Standing outside the fire

Postby lobo on Thu Aug 10, 2006 8:33 am

A member of a certain church, who previously had been attending services regularly, stopped going.
After a few weeks, the pastor decided to visit him. It was a chilly evening. The pastor found the man at home alone, sitting before a blazing fire.

Guessing the reason for his pastor's visit, the man welcomed him, led him to a big chair near the fireplace and waited. The pastor made himself comfortable but said nothing. In the grave silence, he contemplated the play of the flames around the burning logs.

After some minutes, the pastor took the fire tongs, carefully picked up a brightly burning ember and placed it to one side of the hearth all alone. Then he sat back in his chair, still silent. The host watched all this in quiet fascination.

As the one lone ember's flame diminished, there was a momentary glow and then its fire was no more. Soon it was cold and "dead as a doornail."

Not a word had been spoken since the initial greeting.

Just before the pastor was ready to leave, he picked up the cold, dead ember and placed it back in the middle of the fire. Immediately it began to glow once more with the light and warmth of the burning coals around it.

As the pastor reached the door to leave, his host said, "Thank you so much for your visit and especially for the fiery sermon. I shall be back in church next Sunday."

Author Unknown

As we were talking about at Midnight Oil Friday night, things are much easier when you have someone to help you. Whether it be fasting together, praying together, etc., it helps to know that there is someone with you.

Though there are people who go hiking alone, and sometimes it is necessary, most books recommend at least two people, and usually three. Two people are ok; if one is injured, the other can go for help. Three are better, because one can go for help, and the other can stay with the injured. One would be on their own... On dangerous calls, the police try to wait for backup before they go in.

Ecclesiastes 4
7 Again I saw something meaningless under the sun:

8 There was a man all alone;
he had neither son nor brother.
There was no end to his toil,
yet his eyes were not content with his wealth.
"For whom am I toiling," he asked,
"and why am I depriving myself of enjoyment?"
This too is meaningless-
a miserable business!

9 Two are better than one,
because they have a good return for their work:
10 If one falls down,
his friend can help him up.
But pity the man who falls
and has no one to help him up!
11 Also, if two lie down together, they will keep warm.
But how can one keep warm alone?
12 Though one may be overpowered,
two can defend themselves.
A cord of three strands is not quickly broken.
{Make Jesus the third strand}

When we stumble and fall, it is nice to have someone there to help us back up again.

Hebrews 10
24 And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds.
25 Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another--and all the more as you see the Day approaching.

It is great to get together, and share, to build each other up.

The last day we were in Atlanta last October, we went to a Passion concert. It was amazing to see around five thousand people together praising God.

A couple songs came to mind:

Did you feel the darkness tremble?
When all the saints join in one song
"did you feel the mountains tremble" - delirious

And all the powers of darkness
Tremble at what they've just heard
Cause all the powers of darkness
Can't drown out a single word

When all God's children sing out
Glory Glory Hallelujah
He reigns, He reigns
"He reigns" - Newsboys

Altogether, we can do many things. By ourselves, we are just one sheep wandering around.

We are like the ember in the fire that becomes cold and lifeless outside of the fire. Inside the fire, we can be bright and shining and accomplish something.

Life is not tried, it is merely survived, if you're standing outside the fire.
and
I can't abide, standing outside the fire
"Standing Outside the fire" - Garth Brooks
lobo

Re: Standing outside the fire

Postby RevSears on Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:44 am

although i'm not a country fan, i know the song and i know the story you shared, and it's a powerful one. Sometimes the messages are the ones that use no words at all.
RevSears

Return to Lobo's Thoughts