A house divided

Finding God in the little things...

Moderator: lobo

A house divided

Postby lobo on Mon Oct 23, 2006 6:45 pm

Matthew 12
25 Jesus knew their thoughts and said to them, "Every kingdom divided against itself will be ruined, and every city or household divided against itself will not stand."

A very effective military tactic is to split the opponents forces, so that they cannot concentrate fully on one battle, but have their attention divided among two or more fronts. It doesn't have to be something major, it just needs to be enough to distract them.

I believe it is the same way with life. We don't have to be fighting major battles everyday, sometimes all it takes are little things to distract us from the main goal. Maybe our boss is the "greatest person alive", but we have to work sixty hours a week, and can't attend church or read our Bibles much. Or, it could be attending every church activity that we come across, but not taking the time to read or pray like we should... Is it wrong to attend all the "Kingdom" activities that we can? If we miss God for the activities, I think it is wrong. Should we read all the "Kingdom" books that we can? Not if we neglect the Bible, since the Bible is the Word of God, and books are the "word of man". They could even be "Divinely inspired", but they're not the same...

How many churches have we seen break up, because someone left or something happened within the church to divide it? I know of one that was sold, and I think is now a totally different church... How many marriages have broken up, because one partner devoted their time to work or something else first and family and God after that?

Every person divided against themself will not stand.

Matthew 6
24 "No one can serve two masters. Either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and Money.

An example: It is hard to work two jobs, because inevitably, one will want you to work a certain shift and it will conflict with the other job. Even if employer #2 understands, you must still schedule time to travel between the two jobs, and have time to sleep, eat, etc. And you usually feel like you're not giving one your full commitment.

So what do we do?

Seek first the Kingdom of God, and not let ourselves get distracted by our enemy. Will it be easy? No, but we must try in all that we do to put God first.
lobo

Return to Lobo's Thoughts