some definitions for the world (from dictionary.com)

Finding God in the little things...

Moderator: lobo

some definitions for the world (from dictionary.com)

Postby lobo on Wed May 30, 2007 10:00 am

hon·es·ty [on-uh-stee]
–noun, plural -ties.
1. the quality or fact of being honest; uprightness and fairness.
2. truthfulness, sincerity, or frankness.
3. freedom from deceit or fraud.
4. Botany. a plant, Lunaria annua, of the mustard family, having clusters of purple flowers and semitransparent, satiny pods.
5. Obsolete. chastity.
[Origin: 1300–50; ME honeste < MF < L honestās. See honest, -ty2]

—Synonyms 1. integrity, probity, rectitude. See honor. 2. candor, veracity.
—Antonyms 1. dishonesty.

==========================================

in·teg·ri·ty [in-teg-ri-tee]
–noun
1. adherence to moral and ethical principles; soundness of moral character; honesty.
2. the state of being whole, entire, or undiminished: to preserve the integrity of the empire.
3. a sound, unimpaired, or perfect condition: the integrity of a ship's hull.
[Origin: 1400–50; late ME integrite < L integritās. See integer, -ity]

—Synonyms 1. rectitude, probity, virtue. See honor.
—Antonyms 1. dishonesty.

cour·age [kur-ij, kuhr-]
–noun
1. the quality of mind or spirit that enables a person to face difficulty, danger, pain, etc., without fear; bravery.
2. Obsolete. the heart as the source of emotion.
—Idiom
3. have the courage of one's convictions, to act in accordance with one's beliefs, esp. in spite of criticism.
[Origin: 1250–1300; ME corage < OF, equiv. to cuer heart (< L cor; see heart) + -age -age]

—Synonyms 1. fearlessness, dauntlessness, intrepidity, pluck, spirit. Courage, bravery, valor, bravado refer to qualities of spirit and conduct. Courage permits one to face extreme dangers and difficulties without fear: to take (or lose) courage. Bravery implies true courage with daring and an intrepid boldness: bravery in a battle. Valor implies heroic courage: valor in fighting for the right. Bravado is now usually a boastful and ostentatious pretense of courage or bravery: empty bravado.
—Antonyms 1. cowardice.

hon·or [on-er]
–noun
1. honesty, fairness, or integrity in one's beliefs and actions: a man of honor.
2. a source of credit or distinction: to be an honor to one's family.
3. high respect, as for worth, merit, or rank: to be held in honor.
4. such respect manifested: a memorial in honor of the dead.
5. high public esteem; fame; glory: He has earned his position of honor.
6. the privilege of being associated with or receiving a favor from a respected person, group, organization, etc.: to have the honor of serving on a prize jury; I have the honor of introducing this evening's speaker.
7. Usually, honors. evidence, as a special ceremony, decoration, scroll, or title, of high rank, dignity, or distinction: political honors; military honors.
8. (initial capital letter) a deferential title of respect, esp. for judges and mayors (prec. by His, Her, Your, etc.).
9. honors,
a. special rank or distinction conferred by a university, college, or school upon a student for eminence in scholarship or success in some particular subject.
b. an advanced course of study for superior students. Compare honors course.
10. chastity or purity in a woman.
11. Also called honor card. Cards.
a. Bridge. any of the five highest trump cards, as an ace, king, queen, jack, or ten in the trump suit, or any of the four aces in a no-trump contract. Compare honor trick.
b. Whist. any of the four highest trump cards, as an ace, king, queen, or jack in the trump suit.
12. Golf. the privilege of teeing off before the other player or side, given after the first hole to the player or side that won the previous hole.
–verb (used with object)
13. to hold in honor or high respect; revere: to honor one's parents.
14. to treat with honor.
15. to confer honor or distinction upon: The university honored him with its leadership award.
16. to worship (the Supreme Being).
17. to show a courteous regard for: to honor an invitation.
18. Commerce. to accept or pay (a draft, check, etc.): All credit cards are honored here.
19. to accept as valid and conform to the request or demands of (an official document).
20. (in square dancing) to meet or salute with a bow.
–adjective
21. of, pertaining to, or noting honor.
—Idioms
22. be on or upon one's honor, to accept and acknowledge personal responsibility for one's actions: West Point cadets are on their honor not to cheat on an exam.
23. do honor to,
a. to show respect to.
b. to be a credit to: Such good students would do honor to any teacher.
24. do the honors, to serve or preside as host, as in introducing people, or carving or serving at table: Father did the honors at the family Thanksgiving dinner.
Also, especially British, honour.

[Origin: 1150–1200; (n.) ME (h)on(o)ur < AF (OF (h)onor, onur) < L honōr- (s. of honor, earlier honōs); (v.) ME < AF (h)on(o)urer < L honōrāre, deriv. of honor]

—Related forms
hon·or·er, noun
hon·or·less, adjective

—Synonyms 1. probity, uprightness. Honor, honesty, integrity, sincerity refer to the highest moral principles and the absence of deceit or fraud. Honor denotes a fine sense of, and a strict conformity to, what is considered morally right or due: a high sense of honor; on one's honor. Honesty denotes the presence of probity and particularly the absence of deceit or fraud, esp. in business dealings: uncompromising honesty and trustworthiness. Integrity indicates a soundness of moral principle that no power or influence can impair: a man of unquestioned integrity and dependability. Sincerity implies absence of dissimulation or deceit, and a strong adherence to truth: His sincerity was evident in every word. 3. deference, homage; reverence, veneration. Honor, consideration, distinction refer to the regard in which one is held by others. Honor suggests a combination of liking and respect: His colleagues held him in great honor. Consideration suggests honor because of proved worth: a man worthy of the highest consideration. Distinction suggests particular honor because of qualities or accomplishments: She achieved distinction as a violinist at an early age. 5. distinction. 13. esteem, venerate.
—Antonyms 1. dishonor, dishonesty.

-----------------------------------

"Rather fail with honour than succeed by fraud" — Sophocles

-----------------------------------

a quote by once-Chancellor Madison Sarratt, "Today I give you two examinations, one in trigonometry and one in honesty. I hope you pass them both, but if you must fail one, let it be trigonometry for there are many good [people] in this world today who cannot pass an examination in trigonometry, but there are no good [people] in the world who cannot pass an examination in honesty."

------------------------------------

"Does the doctor love disease? Does the pious man love sin? Nobody hates war as much as the warrior, for he has seen the ugly face of it, but in the end...he fights.

Then, no matter what we do, we're wrong?

We are always in the wrong. Politicians and lawyers spend all their time apportioning out the blame, being careful to avoid any themselves... We are guilty. We are guilty of believing in something as obsolete, forgotten and despised as......honor."
scene from a book

con·vic·tion [kuhn-vik-shuhn]
–noun
1. a fixed or firm belief.
2. the act of convicting.
3. the state of being convicted.
4. the act of convincing.
5. the state of being convinced.
[Origin: 1400–50; late ME < LL convictiōn- (s. of convictiō) proof (of guilt). See convict, -ion]

—Related forms
con·vic·tion·al, adjective

—Synonyms 1. See belief.
—Antonyms 5. doubt, uncertainty.

--------------------------------------

"A 'No' uttered from deepest conviction is better and greater than a 'Yes' merely uttered to please, or what is worse, to avoid trouble."
--Mahatma Gandhi

loy·al·ty [loi-uhl-tee]
–noun, plural -ties.
1. the state or quality of being loyal; faithfulness to commitments or obligations.
2. faithful adherence to a sovereign, government, leader, cause, etc.
3. an example or instance of faithfulness, adherence, or the like: a man with fierce loyalties.
[Origin: 1350–1400; ME loialte < MF. See loyal, -ty2]

—Synonyms 2. fealty, devotion, constancy. Loyalty, allegiance, fidelity all imply a sense of duty or of devoted attachment to something or someone. Loyalty connotes sentiment and the feeling of devotion that one holds for one's country, creed, family, friends, etc. Allegiance applies particularly to a citizen's duty to his or her country, or, by extension, one's obligation to support a party, cause, leader, etc. Fidelity implies unwavering devotion and allegiance to a person, principle, etc.
—Antonyms 1, 2. faithlessness.

---------------------------------

Loyalty is faithfulness or a devotion to a person or cause.
Loyalty is also a commitment, in coherence agreeing to stand by a person/s and never walk away no matter how hard things get, and how difficult times are. Loyalty is knowing your true friends, and family, and loved ones, and standing by them until the last breath leaves your body.
wikipedia

friend [frend]
–noun
1. a person attached to another by feelings of affection or personal regard.
2. a person who gives assistance; patron; supporter: friends of the Boston Symphony.
3. a person who is on good terms with another; a person who is not hostile: Who goes there? Friend or foe?
4. a member of the same nation, party, etc.
5. (initial capital letter) a member of the Religious Society of Friends; a Quaker.
–verb (used with object)
6. Rare. to befriend.
—Idiom
7. make friends with, to enter into friendly relations with; become a friend to.
[Origin: bef. 900; ME friend, frend, OE fréond friend, lover, relative (c. OS friund, OHG friunt (G Freund), Goth frijōnds), orig. prp. of fréogan, c. Goth frijōn to love]

—Related forms
friendless, adjective
friend·less·ness, noun

—Synonyms 1. comrade, chum, crony, confidant. See acquaintance. 2. backer, advocate. 4. ally, associate, confrere, compatriot.
—Antonyms 1, 4. enemy, foe.

mor·al [mawr-uhl, mor-]
–adjective
1. of, pertaining to, or concerned with the principles or rules of right conduct or the distinction between right and wrong; ethical: moral attitudes.
2. expressing or conveying truths or counsel as to right conduct, as a speaker or a literary work; moralizing: a moral novel.
3. founded on the fundamental principles of right conduct rather than on legalities, enactment, or custom: moral obligations.
4. capable of conforming to the rules of right conduct: a moral being.
5. conforming to the rules of right conduct (opposed to immoral): a moral man.
6. virtuous in sexual matters; chaste.
7. of, pertaining to, or acting on the mind, feelings, will, or character: moral support.
8. resting upon convincing grounds of probability; virtual: a moral certainty.
–noun
9. the moral teaching or practical lesson contained in a fable, tale, experience, etc.
10. the embodiment or type of something.
11. morals, principles or habits with respect to right or wrong conduct.
[Origin: 1300–50; ME < L mōrālis, equiv. to mōr- (s. of mōs) usage, custom + -ālis -al1]

—Related forms
mor·al·less, adjective

—Synonyms 5. upright, honest, straightforward, open, virtuous, honorable. 11. integrity, standards, morality. Morals, ethics refer to rules and standards of conduct and practice. Morals refers to generally accepted customs of conduct and right living in a society, and to the individual's practice in relation to these: the morals of our civilization. Ethics now implies high standards of honest and honorable dealing, and of methods used, esp. in the professions or in business: ethics of the medical profession.

eth·i·cal [eth-i-kuhl]
–adjective
1. pertaining to or dealing with morals or the principles of morality; pertaining to right and wrong in conduct.
2. being in accordance with the rules or standards for right conduct or practice, esp. the standards of a profession: It was not considered ethical for physicians to advertise.
3. (of drugs) sold only upon medical prescription.
[Origin: 1600–10; ethic + -al1]

—Related forms
eth·i·cal·ly, adverb
eth·i·cal·ness, eth·i·cal·i·ty, noun

—Synonyms 2. moral, upright, honest, righteous, virtuous, honorable.
—Antonyms 2. immoral.
lobo

Postby tigerguy786 on Wed May 30, 2007 6:46 pm

that is great Lobo...

Things we could all use reminders of. I really like that Gandhi quote, and all the quotes for that matter...

Thanks Lobo.
Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send and who will go before us?"
Then said I, "Here am I, send me." Isaiah 6:8
tigerguy786

Return to Lobo's Thoughts