Reaching out

Finding God in the little things...

Moderator: lobo

Reaching out

Postby lobo on Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:51 pm

Pioneers, isolated from church communities, often had little knowledge of spiritual terms. One preacher asked a woman if she had any religious convictions. "Naw," she replied, "nor my old man neither. He were tried for hog-stealin' once, but he weren't convicted."

=====================================================================

1 Corinthians 9
19 For though I be free from all men, yet have I made myself servant unto all, that I might gain the more.
20 And unto the Jews I became as a Jew, that I might gain the Jews; to them that are under the law, as under the law, that I might gain them that are under the law;
21 To them that are without law, as without law, (being not without law to God, but under the law to Christ,) that I might gain them that are without law.
22 To the weak became I as weak, that I might gain the weak: I am made all things to all men, that I might by all means save some.
23 And this I do for the gospel's sake, that I might be partaker thereof with you.

I think the world has taken that, and twisted it around to suit their purposes. I have become all things to all men... We hear a variation of that around election time... Whatever I have to be, in order to get your vote, that is what you get. Then, when they get into office, they forget their promises. I wonder how many TV executives have demanded more graphic news coverage... More sensational items... Whatever it takes to get more viewers.

Sometimes, churches do this, too. We may use portions of movies, large bands, and other things in order to draw people in. But that's not really the right reason for them. There are some wonderful illustrations in movies, but I can catch a matinee for around $5.50 and two hours not have much of a life change. I can get caught up in the atmosphere at concert, and not have much of a life change.

============================================

sen•sa•tion•al•ize [sen-sey-shuh-nl-ahyz]
–verb (used with object), -ized, -iz•ing.
to make sensational.
sen•sa•tion•al [sen-sey-shuh-nl]
–adjective
1. producing or designed to produce a startling effect, strong reaction, intense interest, etc., esp. by exaggerated, superficial, or lurid elements: a sensational novel.
2. extraordinarily good; conspicuously excellent; phenomenal: a sensational quarterback.
3. of or pertaining to the senses or sensation.
adjective
1. causing intense interest, curiosity, or emotion [ant: unsensational]
2. commanding attention; "an arresting drawing of people turning into animals"; "a sensational concert--one never to be forgotten"; "a stunning performance" [syn: arresting]
3. relating to or concerned in sensation; "the sensory cortex"; "sensory organs"
WordNet® 3.0, © 2006 by Princeton University.

=============================================

Too often, the secular world plays on people's emotions and senses in order to manipulate them a certain way. We, as Christians, are supposed to be different. We are supposed to be a light in this dark world. There are people crying out from the darkness around us, looking for something to grab onto. Drugs... Intimacy... Alcohol... Greed... That's the order of the day. They reach out and grab onto that rope hoping it's a helicopter that will lift them out of the water, only to find out that the rope is connected to an anchor that pulls them under.

===========================================

On the afternoon of November 10, Fitzgerald reported a minor list developing and top-side damage including the loss of radar, but did not indicate a serious problem. She slowed to come within range of receiving Anderson's radar data and for a time Anderson guided the Fitzgerald toward the relative safety of Whitefish Bay. The last communication from the boat came at approximately 19:10 (7:10 PM), when Anderson notified Fitzgerald of being hit by rogue waves or perhaps seiche waves large enough to be caught on radar, that were heading Fitzgerald's way and asked how she was doing. McSorley reported, "We are holding our own." A few minutes later, she suddenly sank – no distress signal was received. A short ten minutes later Anderson could neither raise Fitzgerald nor detect her on radar. At 20:32, Anderson informed the U.S. Coast Guard of their concern for the boat.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_Edmund_Fitzgerald

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iquCHSkmUek

===========================================

Have you heard that before?

“I don’t need God right now, I’m doing ok…â€
Look! An old man pulling a box of junk...
lobo

Return to Lobo's Thoughts