Finding God's will

Finding God in the little things...

Moderator: lobo

Finding God's will

Postby lobo on Fri Oct 19, 2007 2:50 pm

Romans 12
1I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service.
2And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

That brings up a question...

What is God's will for my life?

There are many things we can do, but only a few things that we should do.

We are supposed to live godly lives - not conformed to this world, so we may attempt to fulfill the Great Commission.

Matthew 28
18And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth.
19Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:
20Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

As we live our lives day to day, saving lost people is our goal.

So, how do we find God's will for our day to day lives?

Acceptance
In order to find God's will, we must first be in a place where we can accept it and live it. It is possible to receive "spill-over" blessings. Sometimes, it rains on the just and the unjust. It is like when someone brings leftover food into work... It's great that it's there, but if you depend on that for lunch every day, you'll starve. Or, maybe a cement truck happens by with a few extra yards of concrete they need to get rid of...

Sometimes, you can't pull up the weeds from the flower bed, without pulling up the flowers, too. You really can't use the weedeater...

However, one day there will be a separation. The wheat will be separated from the chaff. Sinners will be separated from Christians, and will be separated from God for eternity. There is a way to be counted with the wheat...

Recognize that all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God.

Romans 3
23For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;

Romans 6
23For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

Believe that Jesus is God's Son, was crucified, buried, and raised from the dead to save us.

Romans 10
9That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.
10For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

Confess your sins.

1 John 1
8If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.
9If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
10If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us.

Accept Him

John 1
12But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:

Pray
1 Thessalonians 5
17Pray without ceasing.

for
-Power
-wisdom

Proverbs 9
10The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom: and the knowledge of the holy is understanding.

James 1
5If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him.

We must not "give in" to worldly wisdom, because it has a different starting point and a different path than Godly wisdom, because it is often in opposition.

-guidance
We must pray that God orders our steps, and is a light unto our steps.

Sometimes, the question comes up, "What about the little things?" The "little things" tend to be those we deem insignificant. "Should I pray for them, too? They seem so small compared to things other people pray for..." Here are a some questions to answer:

1. (Taking into account that my next breathe is dependant on God) Can I deal with this properly on my own?
2. Will I be robbing someone of their blessing of praying for me?
(most importantly)
3. Will I be faithful in the small things?

Luke 16
10He that is faithful in that which is least is faithful also in much: and he that is unjust in the least is unjust also in much.

Seek

Matthew 6
25Therefore I say unto you, Take no thought for your life, what ye shall eat, or what ye shall drink; nor yet for your body, what ye shall put on. Is not the life more than meat, and the body than raiment?
26Behold the fowls of the air: for they sow not, neither do they reap, nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feedeth them. Are ye not much better than they?
27Which of you by taking thought can add one cubit unto his stature?
28And why take ye thought for raiment? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow; they toil not, neither do they spin:
29And yet I say unto you, That even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these.
30Wherefore, if God so clothe the grass of the field, which to day is, and to morrow is cast into the oven, shall he not much more clothe you, O ye of little faith?
31Therefore take no thought, saying, What shall we eat? or, What shall we drink? or, Wherewithal shall we be clothed?
32(For after all these things do the Gentiles seek:) for your heavenly Father knoweth that ye have need of all these things.
33But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.
34Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.

God is supposed to be first in our lives... It would be great if we had to rearrange our schedule around Him, instead of fitting God in when we can...

Saturate

If the only Word we are exposed to is on Sunday, we become like the ground in summertime. We soak up all the Word we can when it rains on Sunday morning. Then, as the week progresses - as we deal with the world - we start to dry up. If we work in the hot sun, without drinking water, we will become dehydrated. So, we must continually drink from the Well.

We can buy the Bible on audio CD, cassette, printed, freely online, and for installation on computers. We live in the Information Age. You can access anything - good or bad - on the internet in seconds. We can read online and in magazines about many religious debates where many half-truths and outright lies are spoken. People are looking to fill a void in their lives. Sometimes, they become involved in cults. Other times, they just don't know what to believe, so they reject everything.

We must make sure that we, and those we follow are grounded and based in the Bible. We can't go by what the world thinks is right, because they are on the wrong path.

Obediance

We must obey in the little things, as well as the big things.

We have the 10 Commandments (not the 10 Suggestions). They've even been broken down into two main rules:
Matthew 22
36Master, which is the great commandment in the law?
37Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.
38This is the first and great commandment.
39And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
40On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

We have the Golden Rule. "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you." The world has corrupted it into: "Do unto others before they do unto you" or just "Do unto others".

We are supposed to obey the laws of the land.

Learn from the examples in the Bible

1 Corinthians 10
1Moreover, brethren, I would not that ye should be ignorant, how that all our fathers were under the cloud, and all passed through the sea;
2And were all baptized unto Moses in the cloud and in the sea;
3And did all eat the same spiritual meat;
4And did all drink the same spiritual drink: for they drank of that spiritual Rock that followed them: and that Rock was Christ.
5But with many of them God was not well pleased: for they were overthrown in the wilderness.
6Now these things were our examples, to the intent we should not lust after evil things, as they also lusted.
7Neither be ye idolaters, as were some of them; as it is written, The people sat down to eat and drink, and rose up to play.
8Neither let us commit fornication, as some of them committed, and fell in one day three and twenty thousand.
9Neither let us tempt Christ, as some of them also tempted, and were destroyed of serpents.
10Neither murmur ye, as some of them also murmured, and were destroyed of the destroyer.

Get involved in church activities

Not everyone will fit into any job.

Psalm 143
10Teach me to do thy will; for thou art my God: thy spirit is good; lead me into the land of uprightness.
Look! An old man pulling a box of junk...
lobo

Return to Lobo's Thoughts