Prayer for Guidance, what comes after my bachelors?

Whether it be good or bad, post here to let others now how they can pray for you and/or rejoice for you throughout life's many trials.

Prayer for Guidance, what comes after my bachelors?

Postby RevSears on Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:15 pm

I'm thinking really hard about what will come after my Bachelor's degree which i will finally finish this semester. I'm praying often, and would ask you to join me over it. I keep weighing out things.
1. Teaching, I could go get a master's education , but my bachelor's would be in Christian service, and only have a few days subbing as teaching experience. I also am drawn to history, and i hear that's the least demanded teaching job. But i'd love to work in a Christian school and maybe my Christian degree would help there? and i'd love to have the time off with my son as he grows.
2. Nursing, specifically in psych nursing. I hear it has a high job demand, but i fear potential schedules conflicting with church. But on the other side it's a great skill for mission trips... but then potentially wiping peoples buts? or starting over essentially, because i'd need to get another bachelor's.
3. I.T. i've loved playing around with html or websites and computers in general, but i'm not very knowledgeable, i'm just a tinkerer. I would be lost as to where to start. And if i want to move back to Alaska one day? what IT jobs would be there?

I've also pretty much ruled out clinical social work, it doesn't pay and there are few jobs around for it, although there are several in Alaska, and I want to move back... and it would be a Master's i would be getting. But that whole system leans away from Christ.

ultimately i need to know where God wants me to go. My life is his life, and this is his call.

Need your prayers as I know i need to be deciding soon.
http://nerd4thelord.wordpress.com/ A blog about Nerd topics from a Christian perspective.
RevSears

Re: Prayer for Guidance, what comes after my bachelors?

Postby Matthew on Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:09 am

Yeah, Prayers are all that I can offer.

Is your Bachelor's degree in Christian Services currently? If so, what does that mean :-)

Nursing is a great field, with a lot of opportunities, especially for men. But God makes nurses, we don't. It takes a special person to do that job, and I couldn't do it. Obviously the more education and experience you have, the less butt wiping you have to do (do) :-).
Matthew
The Mayor

Postby RevSears on Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:31 pm

Matthew wrote:Yeah, Prayers are all that I can offer.

Is your Bachelor's degree in Christian Services currently? If so, what does that mean :-)

Nursing is a great field, with a lot of opportunities, especially for men. But God makes nurses, we don't. It takes a special person to do that job, and I couldn't do it. Obviously the more education and experience you have, the less butt wiping you have to do (do) :-).

Thank you, as to what a degree in Christian Service means, that's a good question. It's usually a bi-vocational type ministry degree, meant for someone who works part time in a church and part time on the outside.

It's true more experience would equal less butt wiping,but any is still bad!
http://nerd4thelord.wordpress.com/ A blog about Nerd topics from a Christian perspective.
RevSears

Postby RevSears on Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:13 pm

something else that continues to come up is potentially planting a church here in springboro. I'll be totally up front. Things have been rough lately. We have been under real spiritual attack. this semester my PC, external harddrive, and router have broken, the internet cable was littler ripped out of my new house, Heather has already since jobs since we moved due to a company buy out, we aren't getting a lot of help with Avery Joe (as in none) and with the surprise triple amount of school work this semester we both have been pushed to our limits. Did i mention our house issues? don't even get me started there!

The point being, we prayed about moving back to Alaska, and I gotta be honest, a large part of me wants too. but when i kept praying on the issue, God asked me where my excitement was for a potential church plant and evangelism work in springboro. I had it, where did it go? Truthfully i' was getting down on my situation and getting off focus.

we have been praying about potentially starting a home bible with plans to grow here. We have a back room which i have always planned to do that with since we moved in. I keep mentally weighing things, like my current church's ongoing wait to make a senor pastor official, even though one person (who God seems to be directing to the job) is doing the work of the senior pastor aside from sharing pulpit duties. It really seems like there is a push for an older, unskilled man, not sure of all the politics there, and have tried to avoid it. We drive 40 minutes to church, and that's becoming difficult, especially for mid-week and my internship times. With the leadership issues, there are zero out reach of any kind, no home bible studies currently and the church has actually shrunk a little since we have started going.

Just requesting prayer about it. Everything feels really up in the air at the moment.
RevSears

Postby Matthew on Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:43 pm

RevSears wrote:something else that continues to come up is potentially planting a church here in springboro. I'll be totally up front. Things have been rough lately. We have been under real spiritual attack. this semester my PC, external harddrive, and router have broken, the internet cable was littler ripped out of my new house, Heather has already since jobs since we moved due to a company buy out, we aren't getting a lot of help with Avery Joe (as in none) and with the surprise triple amount of school work this semester we both have been pushed to our limits. Did i mention our house issues? don't even get me started there!
I couldn't imagine raising a child without grandparents around. It's amazing how much we depend on them.

The point being, we prayed about moving back to Alaska, and I gotta be honest, a large part of me wants too. but when i kept praying on the issue, God asked me where my excitement was for a potential church plant and evangelism work in springboro. I had it, where did it go? Truthfully i' was getting down on my situation and getting off focus.
A friend of mine is also kicking around a church plant idea. I wouldn't even no where to start.

we have been praying about potentially starting a home bible with plans to grow here. We have a back room which i have always planned to do that with since we moved in. I keep mentally weighing things, like my current church's ongoing wait to make a senor pastor official, even though one person (who God seems to be directing to the job) is doing the work of the senior pastor aside from sharing pulpit duties. It really seems like there is a push for an older, unskilled man, not sure of all the politics there, and have tried to avoid it. We drive 40 minutes to church, and that's becoming difficult, especially for mid-week and my internship times. With the leadership issues, there are zero out reach of any kind, no home bible studies currently and the church has actually shrunk a little since we have started going.

I'd love for you to go on a JM trip with me and talk to Ryan, the ministry president. Just feel like God is pulling all of us towards something bigger than we can imagine.
Matthew
The Mayor

Postby RevSears on Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:39 pm

I'm trying to work out a test date for school, when I do i'll try to lock in that weekend as free, and talk about going. Already pre-planning with my wife, it seems feasible i could go.

as for Church planting, I have been praying over that for years, and tried it once with second chance. I really look to Jesus sending his disciples out in pairs, as well as ACTs as the key verses to develop a loose plan.

1. Prep in advance with prayer! Seek the prayers of others
2. Prep in advance with business cards bumper stickers etc. from a place like zazzle a website etc.
3. Start small, but give a clear vision. I'd start in my back family room as a home bible study, but clearly communicate the plan to grow into a full fellowship.
4. door to door, prior to the first meeting, attempt to get a partner to do so with me, try to hit 200-300 doors in hopes to get at least 3-4 families to come attempt to do open area outreach
5. Keep it up, consistent , prayer filled, etc. pray for specific needs to be filled as God wills, like someone else comfortable to go to do with me as we grow, or more open area outreach, or someone with musical talent etc.

i think the key failures of 2nd chance was that i was simply too early for God's will, and in less important ways, i didn't focus on spreading the word locally enough in person, and the location was very poor.
RevSears

Postby Matthew on Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:14 pm

RevSears wrote:I'm trying to work out a test date for school, when I do i'll try to lock in that weekend as free, and talk about going. Already pre-planning with my wife, it seems feasible i could go.

Awesome! Please keep me posted.

I'll respond to the rest of your last post when I get a chance.
Matthew
The Mayor

Return to Prayers & Praise