Looking for New Employment

Whether it be good or bad, post here to let others now how they can pray for you and/or rejoice for you throughout life's many trials.

Looking for New Employment

Postby andrwfields on Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:48 am

Over the past few months, I've really started to regret working for Gamestop. I've been with the company for over two years, but in July I got a new store manager. When he came in to his position (he had been the ASM), I stepped up and performed all of the assistant manager duties until he could find a replacement (even though I had applied for the job).

He never stopped talking about how grateful he was for my help and even praised me during discussions with other store managers and with the district manager. Apparently though, it wasn't enough to be qualified to get a promotion.

Recently, I expressed my wishes to be off work on Sundays and Wednesdays because I was not only attending church, but becoming more involved in it with the food pantry and running the sound board. Since that time, I can't think of when I've worked more Sundays and Wednesdays consistently. He tells me it's nothing personal, but I think there is an agenda behind it.

On top of all that, I'm still selling products to people that makes me feel guilty. There is nothing more depressing to me at the end of the day than when I think of how many copies of Grand Theft Auto I sold to 5 year-olds before I left. I feel like I am letting God down when I do this, even though it's the parents that still have to consent to these sales.

Needless to say, I am looking for somewhere else to work. I'm miserable at my job, and the hours I work (what few they let management have at my level) are keeping me from church and my family.

I applied for a job at a bank today that is full-time, better paying, with better operational hours. I'm really hoping I get it, so say a prayer for me!

If this doesn't work, I'll go back to the drawing boards and start filling out more applications and updating my resume more. But I really want this to work!
"...An Apology. If you met me between 1987 and 2005 and I told you, "I'll pray for you," that was a lie. Never happened. I probably didn't pray for you. And that's not cool." - Prodigal Jon from StuffChristiansLike.blogspot.com
andrwfields
Constable

Re: Looking for New Employment

Postby Wowboy on Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:21 pm

My company is hiring. Do you have any experience writing software in support of the military industrial complex that kills people and blows stuff up?

In all seriousness though, you definitely need to get out of there. The guilt factor alone is enough, but when you factor in a boss whose actions demonstrate contempt and general lack of appreciation, you have an intolerable situation.

On that topic, I've found that the best way to get worthwhile promotions is to seek them out yourself and jump companies. A lot of companies these days have rules about how much of a raise they can give their own employees, even if they are getting promoted. Bouncing around for a few years is a great way to get a diverse range of experience on your resume, which will make you more easily employable if you ever find yourself out of work, and you can end up in a job you find fulfilling at a salary you like.

Good luck, and I'll be praying for you.
Wowboy

Postby chad_ghost on Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:10 pm

Best wishes. I pray you get the job at the bank!
chad_ghost

Chad & Matthew's Custom GI Joe Figures
"We cannot live the Christian life, only strive to. Only one man did, and they named it after Him."
chad_ghost
Administrator

Postby andrwfields on Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:04 am

So far, it looks promising. They've been asking my current boss about me a lot, and even though he has his issues with me wanting to go to church, he doesn't seem to mind me leaving for better employment.
"...An Apology. If you met me between 1987 and 2005 and I told you, "I'll pray for you," that was a lie. Never happened. I probably didn't pray for you. And that's not cool." - Prodigal Jon from StuffChristiansLike.blogspot.com
andrwfields
Constable

Postby Matthew on Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:53 pm

I don't have anything to add. I worked at a bank in 2004. I liked it, and the good thing is that a lot of the managers, etc, started out as tellers, so there is room for advancement.
Matthew
The Mayor

Postby andrwfields on Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:16 pm

I just got an email today. I didn't get the job. :(
andrwfields
Constable

Postby Wowboy on Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:30 pm

I need to quit posting things on here. My company just went from hiring frenzy to laying off 1/3 of the work force. While I should survive, you never know.
Wowboy

Postby andrwfields on Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:35 am

There is a company just down the road from me, and they're the largest seller/distributor of Magic the Gathering cards and other accessories in the world. They will hire like crazy from July through October and then lay off half of their work force in November.

In December, they have one of the biggest Christmas parties that I have ever seen. They give away several iPads, couches, computers, gift cards with huge amounts of money on them, cash prizes, and all other sorts of expensive items. Seriously, it's enough to keep the staff they lay off around from the time they lay them off until well past the end of the year. Shady people... :x
andrwfields
Constable

Return to Prayers & Praise