World Cup

Not part of the Volunteer League but still want to discuss the obsession that is Fantasy Football? Post all your thoughts and inquires here.

World Cup

Postby destros_elite on Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:11 pm

The World Cup has been very entertaining. I hope it promotes more interest in soccer here in America. By that I mean interest in the Premier League, International soccer, and the MLS. It is a great sport to follow!
Even with the US bowing out to Ghana in the knockout round, I am still glued to my television. Great stuff!
TheDoctor: "Restricted access, no unauthorized personnel." Hmmm... [opens lock with sonic screwdriver]
Amy: That's breaking and entering!
TheDoctor: What did I break? Sonicing and entering,totally different[/u]
DoctorWho-The Hungry Earth
destros_elite

Re: World Cup

Postby Matthew on Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:22 am

I love soccer too, but not until I started playing. I played two years in high school and it really helped me understand the game. I think that is generally what people lack here is the understanding of what is going on.
Matthew
The Mayor

Postby destros_elite on Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:16 am

Matthew wrote:I love soccer too, but not until I started playing. I played two years in high school and it really helped me understand the game. I think that is generally what people lack here is the understanding of what is going on.

I totally agree, Matt. Instead of looking up the rules of soccer to get a better understanding, many people would rather simply down it or lable it boring. It is an awesome game!
TheDoctor: "Restricted access, no unauthorized personnel." Hmmm... [opens lock with sonic screwdriver]
destros_elite

Postby destros_elite on Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:43 pm

After catching the end of the Uruguay/Ghana match after work, I now have a suggestion for soccer. We all know what a handball is in soccer. HOWEVER, when this is committed in the goal box in a blatant attempt to prevent a goal (as in the defender had NO shot at preventing the goal with his head, chest, legs, or feet), why not add a goal tending call to the rulebook, awarding the goal to the offense? Basketball does this if someone interferes with the ball entering the hoop.
The handball today was SO obvious that it was a shame that the goal could not be given to Ghana automatically, rather than just awarding them with a penalty kick (which as we saw is never an automatic thing). I know the rule will NEVER be added to this great game, but in situations like this when the Uruguay defender in a sense, won the game by cheating, it just makes one want to throw up. :-/
Hold your heads high, Ghana! You should be proud of your efforts and you have won a fan here in the US! :D
destros_elite

Postby Matthew on Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:07 am

I got a yellow card for an intentional hand ball in the goal when I was in high school. They told me that it should've been a red card. I might have to look this up.
Matthew
The Mayor

Postby chad_ghost on Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:36 am

The center ref could have ruled this a goal. There are rules in place that give him that authority. Red card, of course, and a pk is typically a goal. That is the human element of the game that we rarely deal with in America. The nation is still proud, as Ghana went the farthest of any African team, were the only African team to win a game, and are the youngest team (24) in the World Cup.

It had been a blast here to watch!
chad_ghost

Chad & Matthew's Custom GI Joe Figures
"We cannot live the Christian life, only strive to. Only one man did, and they named it after Him."
chad_ghost
Administrator

Return to Other Fantasy Leagues