Tiger Edition

We want to seek God with our whole hearts, bodies, and souls, so we're going to seek Him 6 weeks at a time.

Tiger Edition

Postby tigerguy786 on Mon Nov 12, 2007 3:08 pm

So I'll jump on the band wagon too I guess...

The primary thing that I want to do over the next 6 weeks is to memorize scripture, I also want to get into a habit of getting into the word, so to speak but the big thing is hiding God's word in my heart.

I have a few ideas for it but I could use some help in what passages to memorize, the goal is to memorize a passage of 5 verses or so every two days. Yesterday I started with 1 Corinthians 13:1-7. The next I think is Isaiah 6:1-8, primarily because Isa 6:8 is my life verse. After that, I'm open to suggestions.

I was thinking Romans 12:1-5 (or so, depends on what verses make up a unit), and Psalm 23 and the beginning of John 1. Does any one have any ideas?

As far as Scripture reading goes, I would like to read a passage from the Old Testament and the New Testament and a proverb a day.

Yes this is a lot of stuff and in all likelihood too ambitious, but right now I think I can do it.

I could use suggestions on where to start in the OT...maybe a minor prophet would be a good place to start. Any ideas?
Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send and who will go before us?"
Then said I, "Here am I, send me." Isaiah 6:8
tigerguy786

Postby andrwfields on Mon Nov 12, 2007 3:25 pm

Nothing is too ambitious if you set your mind to it and you have faith. As for a prophet... no idea who I would start with.

I look forward to seeing your progress.
"...An Apology. If you met me between 1987 and 2005 and I told you, "I'll pray for you," that was a lie. Never happened. I probably didn't pray for you. And that's not cool." - Prodigal Jon from StuffChristiansLike.blogspot.com
andrwfields
Constable

Postby Matthew on Mon Nov 12, 2007 4:36 pm

I've never done memorization, so no suggestions.

However, I love Samuel, so that's my suggestion. Glad to see you on board as well.
Matthew
The Mayor

Postby lobo on Mon Nov 12, 2007 4:40 pm

Ecclesiastes 4:7-12
Look! An old man pulling a box of junk...
lobo

Postby tigerguy786 on Mon Nov 12, 2007 4:59 pm

lobo wrote:Ecclesiastes 4:7-12

That's the for everything there is a season passage right?
Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send and who will go before us?"
tigerguy786

Postby lobo on Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:19 pm

7Then I returned, and I saw vanity under the sun.

8There is one alone, and there is not a second; yea, he hath neither child nor brother: yet is there no end of all his labour; neither is his eye satisfied with riches; neither saith he, For whom do I labour, and bereave my soul of good? This is also vanity, yea, it is a sore travail.

9Two are better than one; because they have a good reward for their labour.

10For if they fall, the one will lift up his fellow: but woe to him that is alone when he falleth; for he hath not another to help him up.

11Again, if two lie together, then they have heat: but how can one be warm alone?

12And if one prevail against him, two shall withstand him; and a threefold cord is not quickly broken.
Look! An old man pulling a box of junk...
lobo

Re: Tiger Edition

Postby chad_ghost on Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:03 pm

tigerguy786 wrote:I could use suggestions on where to start in the OT...maybe a minor prophet would be a good place to start. Any ideas?

I really enjoyed the Samuels, though there are still some hard parts to get through.
chad_ghost

Chad & Matthew's Custom GI Joe Figures
"We cannot live the Christian life, only strive to. Only one man did, and they named it after Him."
chad_ghost
Administrator

Postby tigerguy786 on Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:38 pm

thanks for the suggestions guys

Chad and Matt, I read through the Samuels over the summer. I enjoyed them then, but I think I want to read one of the other 39 books of the OT before I get back to them.

Hmmm...maybe Numbers, or Jeremiah...
tigerguy786

Postby JustAGrl on Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:25 pm

I am not very good at memorizing either, but it sounds like a cool goal.

I look forward to seeing how it goes for you! :)
JustAGrl

Postby tigerguy786 on Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:40 pm

So here's the basic rundown of what I'm planning to do:

Read a chapter (or so) from the New Testement (Philippians then Gospel of John) and a chapter from the Old Testament (Job); read a proverb; pray three times; and memorize a passage every three days.

So far it's going all right. I'm having a hard time praying, it seems every time I sit down to pray I'll start and before I know it my thoughts are anywhere but on praying. Praying is possibly the hardest time to concentrate...

Day 1 11/12

Read the last part of Philippians 1
Read Ch 1 of Job
Read Proverbs 12
Prayed 3 times
Reviewed I Corinthians 13:1-7

Day 2 11/13

Didn't read Philippians
Read Ch 1 of Job
Read Proverbs 13
Prayed 3 times
Reviewed I Corinthians 13:1-7
tigerguy786

Postby Matthew on Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:11 am

tigerguy786 wrote:So far it's going all right. I'm having a hard time praying, it seems every time I sit down to pray I'll start and before I know it my thoughts are anywhere but on praying. Praying is possibly the hardest time to concentrate...

Satan knows you are right on track.

I look forward to your progress.
Matthew
The Mayor

Postby andrwfields on Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:14 am

tigerguy786 wrote:So far it's going all right. I'm having a hard time praying, it seems every time I sit down to pray I'll start and before I know it my thoughts are anywhere but on praying. Praying is possibly the hardest time to concentrate...

I know exactly what you mean. That's why I sometimes use prayer tools. I don't know where your beliefs or comfortableness falls, but you might want to look into these. The Catholic church has been using them for years in the form of the Rosary.

I use a version of the Rosary developed by the Anglican church called Anglican Prayer beads. The prayer beads are used by repeating prayers that are symbolized by certain beads on the chain (very similar to the rosary).

I also have a set of prayer stones. They're both very different in use and purpose. The stones are small little river rocks that have words written on them like "family" and "forgiveness" that I use to remind me of what I should be praying for.

I don't know if this would be a help to you, but it's done a great deal for me on my days when I just can't focus.
"...An Apology. If you met me between 1987 and 2005 and I told you, "I'll pray for you," that was a lie. Never happened. I probably didn't pray for you. And that's not cool." - Prodigal Jon from StuffChristiansLike.blogspot.com
andrwfields
Constable

Postby camper on Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:17 am

You might also want to consider a prayer journal or a notebook where you can write 'letters to God'.

I know when I sit and try to think about something (even prayer) I'm easily distracted by my own thoughts. By sitting and writing them out long-hand, you really focus on what you want to say.

When you've finished your prayer for the day, either shred or burn the paper or just throw it out. Or keep it as something to look back on. You could even just do 'emails to a bogus address' just to get it out.

Just a suggestion for the wandering mind :)

dan
camper

Postby tigerguy786 on Fri Nov 16, 2007 3:07 pm

Thanks for the help, guys.

andrwfields- thanks, but I don't think I would feel comfortable doing that and I think that might just provide further distraction for me!

Camper, I've tried that before. It really helped, I'm going to have to try that.

As far as updates:

Day 3
Read Phil 3
Read Job 3
Read Prov 14

Day 4
Read Phil 3
Missed Job
Read Prov 15

Day 5
Need to begin John today
Read Job 4 & 5
Read Prov 16

I have memorized 1 Corinthians 13:1-7 and am currently working on John 1:1-5

Yesterday was rough, I don't feel comfortable going into all the details but it was a rough day. I felt bored/tired all day and never did figure out why.
tigerguy786

Postby tigerguy786 on Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:30 am

and the weekend...went badly...

I didn't get much (if anything) done, thusly I am now behind on where I want to be...it's funny how it is so easy to not do what I know I do...
tigerguy786

Next

Return to 6 Weeks