Can I play too?

We want to seek God with our whole hearts, bodies, and souls, so we're going to seek Him 6 weeks at a time.

Can I play too?

Postby Wowboy on Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:53 am

What are the rules, and what exactly are we doing other than bible studies?
Wowboy

Postby andrwfields on Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:43 am

No rules really. What we've been doing is just taking six week cycles. You set a goal for yourself (i.e. reading so many pages of a book, praying, exercising, ect) that you can try to do every day that will help you get closer to God. That's what it's all about right?

I set a goal of reading certain books, praying, and eating less junkfood. Matt is reading a couple of books, exercising, and working on prayer.

You pick what you think you need to do to get closer to God. Set a goal. After six weeks (or any amount of time you choose) you can evaluate yourself and go at it again!
"...An Apology. If you met me between 1987 and 2005 and I told you, "I'll pray for you," that was a lie. Never happened. I probably didn't pray for you. And that's not cool." - Prodigal Jon from StuffChristiansLike.blogspot.com
andrwfields
Constable

Postby Matthew on Tue Dec 11, 2007 12:10 pm

andy summed it up. My goal is get closer to the Lord through obedience. It's been amazing and I'm still very syked about it. I don't like to read, so I made it a point to work on. Now I'm really enjoying reading :D
Matthew
The Mayor

Postby Wowboy on Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:06 pm

Well, given that the week just started, this would be a good time for me to jump on board!

I have several books I am going to read over Christmas break. I just muddled my way through Sweet's Anglo Saxon primer for one of my independent study groups at OU and also read Tacitus' The Agricola and the Germania. I am about to shift gears into Bede's Ecclesiastical history of the English People. There were some excerpts from it in the primer which got me interested in reading it in its entirety (not to mention in a modern English translation rather than an Old English one!)

For today, I have already done as much physical exercise as I am capable of doing. I did various types of arm raises at different angles to restore a full range of movement in my left arm. For my lower body, I did various types of leg raises trying to restore movement to my right leg. As a lot of you may know, I had shoulder surgery in September and hip surgery last January and last month and have another one coming up in January yet again.

For my diet, I am trying to eliminate caffeine altogether and limit my sugar intake to a minimum. Since I am no longer as active as I once was, I don't burn this stuff like I used to and have been experiencing severe headaches when I ingest it. In order to do this, I only drink diet flavored sodas (if I drink soda at all) and I try to only eat fast food when I absolutely have to.

As for bible studies, I read through it every year, starting at the beginning and reading a chapter or two every day (sometimes more) until I finish. I finished my 2007 reading in November, and have just started up again last night. I read through the first four chapters of Genesis.

Anyways, there is my start, I will keep everyone posted!
Wowboy

Postby camper on Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:35 pm

Funny, I've been toying with doing this too, but I'm not going to even consdier it with seriousness until after the new year.

I try to rid myself of sweets and unhealthy food during the holidays, I know I'm doomed to fail.

dan
camper

Postby Wowboy on Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:40 pm

The holidays is actually a good time for me. I don't care for pies and cakes that much. I usually just eat plain pecans from our pecan tree for dessert. I love turkey, but I can live without everything else. I wind up getting a scoop of potatoes, a roll, and a ton of turkey and I'm good. Then I play with my toys :)
Wowboy

Postby Wowboy on Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:04 am

Last night and this morning -

We've had the worst ice storm in the state's history, so power has been out everywhere. As a result, all Monday finals at OU were moved to Thursday, and my Thursday final was pulled back to TODAY! As a result, I had to spend the night doing translations and drawing word tables showing case inflections from the time I got home from work clear up to midnight :( As a result, I did not get to do any Bible study, or read my books. I'll just have to double up on that since I was basically forced to double up on my schoolwork.

Dietarily speaking, I think I've been doing pretty good. I had a bowl of oatmeal for breakfast... and well, that's all I've eaten since I last posted! I didn't have time to make anything last night, I just drank about 2 gallons of water.

For my workout, this morning I did all my arm and leg extensions and added a 2.5 lb weight to my arm stretches to add a bit of resistance.

Not bad, considering the slight scholastic emergency.
Wowboy

Postby Wowboy on Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:42 am

Well, yesterday was rough... but awesome :)

Fitness - My physical therapist put me through a ringer. I thought I was going to cry it hurt so bad. However, he was happy to report that my range of motion is 100% with even less stiffness and muscle guarding :) Also, my strength has improved to the point that I can resume some light physical activity like weightlifting. He did however, restrict me to machines :(

Diet - Y'know... I forgot to eat! No wonder my stomach is hurting!

Reading - I read 3 chapters of Bede and I read The prologue to the Canterbury Tales aloud to my wife in ME. She thinks I'm a nerd.

Bible Study - Genesis 4-5
Wowboy

Postby Wowboy on Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:43 am

I had a good weekend. Following my physical therapist's advice to start exercising my upper body, I went to the gym and did some light upper body exercises with machines. I did some bench presses, some butterflies, upright rows, and some curls. While I was there, I could not resist the temptation of the cardio machines despite the advice of my hip doctor :( I did the elliptical cross trainer for 30 minutes and was sore the rest of the weekend :(

For diet, I ate a bowl of oatmeal on Saturday and some cantelope. On Sunday, my brother-in-law and my wife and I ordered some pizza while we watched football :)

I got into a debate with an old friend regarding Calvinism. His new pastor has come out strongly in favor of the doctrine of predestination and has been backing it up with Ephesians. My friend has always been against this, but has never really looked into it very closely. He feels that his new pastor misrepresented himself by not disclosing this belief when he was being considered for the position of pastor. The Sunday immediately following the vote that confirmed him as pastor, the minister began preaching Calvinism. Right now, my friend is debating on whether or not to discuss this with the pastor and the church elders, but first, he wants to be very clear on where he stands and why.

I finished Bede this Saturday, and today I thought I would reread some Robert Howard stuff :)
Wowboy

Postby Wowboy on Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:37 pm

The last couple of days have been pretty good. My knee has started to ache from the lack of development of the surrounding muscles. I had to buy a brace to continue on.

Fitness - Worked out upper body and used the elliptical machine for 30 minutes.

Reading - Read "The Phoenix and the Sword" and "The Frost Giant's Daughter" in my Robert Howard reader, and The story of Cynewulf in Sweet's Anglo-Saxon reader.

Bible Study - Continued on with Genesis, read over chapters 3-5 and continued on through 10.
Wowboy

Return to 6 Weeks