Round 5: April 7-May 12

We want to seek God with our whole hearts, bodies, and souls, so we're going to seek Him 6 weeks at a time.

Round 5: April 7-May 12

Postby Matthew on Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:12 am

Well, Here comes Round 5.

Rounds 1 & 2 were awesome, but Rounds 3 & 4 were a disappointment. I really think I was trying to take too much on, and not focusing on what I really needed to focus on. I think I was trying to move forward when I really hadn't accomplished what I had set out to do. So here is my list for Round 5

• Read my Bible ever day. Right now I am reading Daniel
• Read from "Every Man's Marriage" every day.
• Start doing more physical activity. I really want my physical activity to reflect my spiritual activity and spiritual growth.
• Spend more spiritual time with Leslie (prayer, reading, discussing) and really seek to be the Spiritual Leader of my Home.

I really appreciate the prayers and support from everyone here.
Matthew
The Mayor

Re: Round 5: April 7-May 12

Postby andrwfields on Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:18 am

Best of luck with Round 5 bro!
"...An Apology. If you met me between 1987 and 2005 and I told you, "I'll pray for you," that was a lie. Never happened. I probably didn't pray for you. And that's not cool." - Prodigal Jon from StuffChristiansLike.blogspot.com
andrwfields
Constable

Postby Matthew on Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:29 am

Man, I'm already skipping days of posting. Hopefully it'll get better ;-)

Day 1, April 7
Read Daniel 4
Prayed with Leslie before bed
Did 10 push ups
Did 20 crunches
Did 10 sit-ups

Not a bad start. Would've read Every Man's Marriage, but I watched the Championship game

Day 2, April 8
Read Daniel 8
Did 10 push ups
Did 20 crunches
Did 10 sit-ups

Another good day. Been staying up too late though. I really want to get on a schedule of reading my Bible in the morning. I really need prayer on this.
Matthew
The Mayor

Postby Matthew on Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:07 am

Day 3, April 9
Read Daniel 6

Really tired that night. I did read the Word, which I'm going to try do even if I don't do anything else

Day 4, April 10
Read Daniel 7
Did 10 push ups
Did 20 crunches
Did 10 sit-ups
Read the intro to "Every Man's Marriage"

God is really showing Himself to me. I can never thank Him enough for what He's done for me.
Matthew
The Mayor

Postby Matthew on Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:13 am

Day 5, April 10
Can't remember. Don't think I did anything.

Day 6, April 11
Read Daniel 8
Did 10 push ups
Did 20 crunches
Did 10 sit-ups
Read the Chapter 1 of "Every Man's Marriage"

Day 7, April 12
Nothing

Day 8, April 13
Read Daniel 9
Did 10 push ups
Did 20 crunches
Did 10 sit-ups

Everything has been going great. God has really been steering me clear of temptations. It's not been the "pink elephant" that is has been in the past. That was until yesterday. Now I can't quit beating myself up over it, which Satan uses to keep my failures in my life so that I am unable to forgive myself and accept the Father's grace.
Matthew
The Mayor

Postby Matthew on Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:47 am

Day 9, April 14

andy, I'm feeling you here. I started out great for the first week, then had a 24 hour train wreck. I can't seem to not think about my sin and temptation. I'm really struggling with focusing on God, and forgiving myself and handing it over to him. Still not strong enough and humble enough to take everything to the Father in prayer.

That being said, I didn't do anything good yesterday...

But, that's what is Amazing about Grace. He takes me back, always. It's hard to fathom why I run from that.
Matthew
The Mayor

Postby Matthew on Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:31 am

Day 10, April 15

Read Daniel 9-10
Read 2 Chapters of Every Man's Marriage

Still really struggling to let go of my past transgressions. Causing me to struggle and stumble big time
Matthew
The Mayor

Postby andrwfields on Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:59 am

So yesterday, I had this big reply typed up for you and then when I hit "Submit" it asked me to log in again. So I logged in, and I lost the post. I was so frustrated that I just left it and said that I'd do it when I got home. There's more to it, and I'll post that either in my section or in the prayers and praises.

I tried something the other day that I was surprised at how well it helped me. I would say that I almost started from scratch as a Christian.

I read Matthew 6:5-13:
“When you pray, don’t be like the hypocrites who love to pray publicly on street corners and in the synagogues where everyone can see them. I tell you the truth, that is all the reward they will ever get. But when you pray, go away by yourself, shut the door behind you, and pray to your Father in private. Then your Father, who sees everything, will reward you.
“When you pray, don’t babble on and on as people of other religions do. They think their prayers are answered merely by repeating their words again and again. Don’t be like them, for your Father knows exactly what you need even before you ask him! Pray like this:

Our Father in heaven,
may your name be kept holy.
May your Kingdom come soon.
May your will be done on earth,
as it is in heaven.
Give us today the food we need,
and forgive us our sins,
as we have forgiven those who sin against us.
And don’t let us yield to temptation,
but rescue us from the evil one.

It's amazing to me how simplicity (well, it's really not simplicity) can be the best place to look when you're lost.
"...An Apology. If you met me between 1987 and 2005 and I told you, "I'll pray for you," that was a lie. Never happened. I probably didn't pray for you. And that's not cool." - Prodigal Jon from StuffChristiansLike.blogspot.com
andrwfields
Constable

Postby Matthew on Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:08 pm

thanks for the encouragement Andy. I really try to use the Lord's Prayer as my template, but my place of prayer is what is still lacking for me. I sometimes pray in the shower, sometimes in the truck on the way to work, but none of them really make me feel like I'm in the quiet place where I really need to be to totally seclude myself from everything but God.
Matthew
The Mayor

Postby andrwfields on Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:20 pm

I would say that I would pick the shower over the truck. I used to pray on the way to work, but I found it to be difficult because of traffic and trying to drive at the same time. The only problem with doing it in the shower would be having the water go cold! :lol:

Then again, you may have something with praying in the shower. I knew a man who used to go out once a month into the woods - NUDE - and pray to God. He said he wanted to be as close and unfiltered from God as possible. I understand what he was trying to do, but I don't know if I would go that far to do it.

I wish these were still the days when you could leave a church open and un-attended for people to go in and meditate. Now, people steal too much to let that happen.
andrwfields
Constable

Postby Matthew on Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:24 pm

andrwfields wrote:I wish these were still the days when you could leave a church open and un-attended for people to go in and meditate. Now, people steal too much to let that happen.

i was wondering about this. there is a church very close to where I work, but I'm really waivering on going during lunch. may not even be possible
Matthew
The Mayor

Postby andrwfields on Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:25 pm

I will say that a lot of the smaller churches I've been to are not at all wary about giving out keys to members of the church that ask for them. I used to have a key to the church I attended in Irvine and I would go in there in the evenings and even in the middle of the night a couple of times just to get away from it all and pray. Very relaxing and calming.

The church I go to now is working on building a new church, so we're using our community center for services. No keys there. :(

I would love to find some place to use as a sanctuary though...
andrwfields
Constable

Postby Matthew on Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:32 pm

Day 11, April 16

Read Daniel 11
15 Pushups
30 Cruches
10 Situps

still struggling. Pride is definitely getting in the way. Can't seem to give the reigns over to God.
Matthew
The Mayor

Postby andrwfields on Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:20 pm

When you say, "Give the reigns over to God," what do you mean by that?
andrwfields
Constable

Postby Matthew on Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:09 am

andrwfields wrote:When you say, "Give the reigns over to God," what do you mean by that?

Give God control. Like giving God the wheel. God shouldn't be my co-pilot, He should be my pilot and I'm his co-pilot.

here is Day 12
Read Daniel 12
Read another Chapter of Every Man's Marriage.
Matthew
The Mayor

Next

Return to 6 Weeks