Lent

We want to seek God with our whole hearts, bodies, and souls, so we're going to seek Him 6 weeks at a time.

Lent

Postby andrwfields on Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:45 pm

Matt, I might have the answer you were looking for.

Is anyone on this board observing Lent? I know a lot of protestant denominations view it as obscure and unnecessary, but it's actually quite interesting.

Yes, it really has no Biblical grounding. But it's worth looking into.

I think I'm going to do it again this year. It starts February 25 if you follow Ash Wednesday. Any takers?
"...An Apology. If you met me between 1987 and 2005 and I told you, "I'll pray for you," that was a lie. Never happened. I probably didn't pray for you. And that's not cool." - Prodigal Jon from StuffChristiansLike.blogspot.com
andrwfields
Constable

Re: Lent

Postby andrwfields on Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:48 pm

Lent on Wikipedia

If anyone is interested. I'm thinking I might follow it like I was taught when I was at the Methodist church.
"...An Apology. If you met me between 1987 and 2005 and I told you, "I'll pray for you," that was a lie. Never happened. I probably didn't pray for you. And that's not cool." - Prodigal Jon from StuffChristiansLike.blogspot.com
andrwfields
Constable

Postby destros_elite on Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:00 am

I've participated in the past. So sure...and why don't you post a little of the history for us. I know just a little about it, but not much.
TheDoctor: "Restricted access, no unauthorized personnel." Hmmm... [opens lock with sonic screwdriver]
Amy: That's breaking and entering!
TheDoctor: What did I break? Sonicing and entering,totally different[/u]
DoctorWho-The Hungry Earth
destros_elite

Postby andrwfields on Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:19 am

Alright. Not really a problem at all.

(In my own words)

Lent is the 40 day celebration that leads into Easter Sunday. It represents the 40 days and nights that Jesus spent in the desert before beginning his ministry. During this time, as most know, Jesus was tempted by Satan and refused. Most Christians view it as a time of great prayer and fasting. Most see this as a time to give up something important in their lives and choose to use that time they would have spent with that thing to serve Christ instead. Also, most Christians choose meat (usually anything that had a hoof) to give up during this time. And now you know why McDonald's pushes the Double Fillet-O-Fish this time every year.

Some Christians have chosen to interpret this a time to fast from other things. For instance, a lady that I once went to church with said that she would be giving up television during Lent. I view it as a personal choice of what one chooses to do. I plan to give up something more than just red meat.

Also of note, some days are exceptional from these 40 days: Sundays are excluded (viewed as "mini-Easters"), Maundy Thursday (night of the Passover), and some Christians say that strict fasting should be practiced from Friday evening until Sunday morning commemorating the 3 days Jesus spent lying in the tomb.
andrwfields
Constable

Postby destros_elite on Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:28 am

Awesome! Did NOT know all that! I will definately be praying about what the LORD would have me to give up during this time...
If one feels led, it would be cool to post here duing Lent on how things are going and for support when things get rough (in the past with me, if you truly give up something meaningful, it gets real tough after about a week!).
TheDoctor: "Restricted access, no unauthorized personnel." Hmmm... [opens lock with sonic screwdriver]
destros_elite

Postby andrwfields on Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:33 am

I don't know if it has any factual background, but I was once told that if a person can make it the first 40 days without something, they can give it up for life.
andrwfields
Constable

Postby destros_elite on Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:36 am

I'd heard that too and know it is true for a friend of mine. Last year he gave up "Pop" or "Soda" (however you want to say it) for Lent and hasn't had one since!
destros_elite

Postby camper on Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:23 pm

The whole point is to give it up for God, as a sort of sacrifice. Using that time and/or resources to focus purely on him. Not giving something up because it is good for you or it will help you save money. I'm also of the opinion that whether or not you participate in lent or fasting at other times, it should be between you and Him only. Nobody should even have a clue as to what you're doing, otherwise the glory won't be fully going to God. It isn't something that should even be considered as a tool to witness, it's meant to be intensely personal. That is why (IMHO) Christ went into the desert, so nobody would see what He was doing or focus on him in any way at all.

Just my 2 cents on the subject.

dan
camper

Postby destros_elite on Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:45 pm

I don't think we are talking about giving anything up for personal gain or tooting our own horn saying "Look what I'm doing for the LORD!"
My friend just so happens to be in the ministry and is a diabetic (even has an insulin pump). He gave up Pop/Soda to be healthier, knowing that his body is a gift and he should take care of what the LORD has given him. It just so happens that he never went back to Pop/Soda.
I totally agree with what you said in your post. I just want to clarify that no one is talking about giving anything up for personal gain or tooting thier own horn.

I don't mean to sound critical or argumentative. If I have...I truly apologize :oops: .
destros_elite

Postby andrwfields on Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:24 pm

I totally agree Dan. I didn't mean to make it look like I wanted to have a "wow look at me" party.

But I don't think having a support and discussion group is totally uncalled for. I've never said what I want to give up for Lent, just that I would be doing it. As brothers and sisters in Christ, we stand stronger together.
andrwfields
Constable

Postby Darko on Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:33 am

I've observed Lent every year, even back when I was protestant. Like Camper said, I think it should be something between you and God, so I won't go into the specifics of what I've given up. I will say I've found it a spiritually rewarding experience every time, and recommend trying it at least once.
I support the separation of Church and Hate.
Darko

Postby camper on Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:26 am

destros_elite wrote:I don't think we are talking about giving anything up for personal gain or tooting our own horn saying "Look what I'm doing for the LORD!"
My friend just so happens to be in the ministry and is a diabetic (even has an insulin pump). He gave up Pop/Soda to be healthier, knowing that his body is a gift and he should take care of what the LORD has given him. It just so happens that he never went back to Pop/Soda.
I totally agree with what you said in your post. I just want to clarify that no one is talking about giving anything up for personal gain or tooting thier own horn.

I don't mean to sound critical or argumentative. If I have...I truly apologize :oops: .

Nah, didn't get argumentative at all :)

Though...the giving up soda for lent to be healtheir (that's how I understood it) is what I'm talking about. If TV i ssucking up time away from God, then give it up--not because too much TV is bad for you but because TV is something you enjoy and it's taking away from God. But personally, because lent itself has become a "What are you giving up?" or "I can't have that...it's Lent" in culture and where I live (lots of catholics, and orthodox) I'm a bit more sensitive this time of year about it. It never used to bother me, but it does now.

camper
camper

Postby Darko on Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:00 pm

Just to jump in again, Lent isn't always about giving things up. Lots of people (my wife included) choose instead to use the time add devotions, more intense scriptural study, or other forms of worship to their days, or even just intense, intentional meditation on what Jesus sacrificed and what that means for us (big picture and day to day lives).
I support the separation of Church and Hate.
Darko

Postby destros_elite on Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:30 pm

Darko wrote:Just to jump in again, Lent isn't always about giving things up. Lots of people (my wife included) choose instead to use the time add devotions, more intense scriptural study, or other forms of worship to their days, or even just intense, intentional meditation on what Jesus sacrificed and what that means for us (big picture and day to day lives).

I like that idea, Darko.
destros_elite

Postby andrwfields on Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:27 pm

Just an update: Tomorrow is Fat Tuesday (Mardi Gras). Wednesday is Ash Wednesday and the beginning of Lent.
andrwfields
Constable

Return to 6 Weeks